Subaru WRX Forum banner

Opinion based question on rims

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  DreamEvil 
#1 ·
Hey guys so lately I have been looking to enhance the visuals on my car a little bit, nothing too crazy but basically I got the sti hood scoop, doing tints next week probably, and I was just curious the famous gold rims on the black sti's Ive been thinking looks really good lately but I know how expensive rims and wheels can be so I was thinking about repainting my rims gold...Here's where the question part comes in are the rims on my 2003 wrx that came from the factory the same as the ones that the sti's come with that are gold?? or are they different/it will not look as good?

#3 ·
That or look it the Rota line of rims. I know some people dont like them because they are used alot, but its tough to be the price. I personally love mine. And most of their designs come in gold. If you dont have the money. Its something to save towards. If you really want them you can wait. Trust me I know this.

#5 ·
Yeah like thats the thing its by no means something I can't live with out, and for the price of nice rims its just not worth it in my book to buy a new set of rims, So most likely I would just be repainting the rims...Maybe I will give the black a shot. I gotta find some pictures to see what it looks like before I make any final decisions I suppose.

Also question about tints, any one have problems with tints on windows that roll up and down that was a concern my dad brought up to me? Also the rear window the defroster elements or what ever those strips are called are exposed there not built into the glass which was another thing that got me and my dad worried do you think that would pose problems or effect how it looks?

#8 ·
I'm not saying you're lying, but finding a deal like that is HIGHLY unlikely. Don't make dreamevil think that he'll ever come across a deal like that. There's just no way. By the time another deal like that comes along, he probably won't even have his car anymore.

I would recommend enkeis. They are a bit more expensive, but enkei has a much better reputation. Look into the RPF1's.

#9 ·
My friend is actually going to be repainting his rims on his 02 wrx semi gloss black, i think I am going to do my car with him, is it true that you shouldn't drive the car for a few days after words? My friend is doing it at like his uncles wear house or something like that but he said as long as you let it totally dry you can have it done by the end of the day and your good to go?

Any idea's regarding my tint question:

Any one have problems with tints on windows that roll up and down that was a concern my dad brought up to me? Also the rear window the defroster elements or what ever those strips are called are exposed there not built into the glass which was another thing that got me and my dad worried do you think that would pose problems or effect how it looks?

#10 ·
I got executive tint on my 07. No problems, just cant roll down your window for a couple days. Other than that havent had a problem with a thing. If posisble, the place that tints your window whould "file" the edge of the tint/windows, it helps with the peeling effect to not happen.

#11 ·
Yeah, I think I am going to get it done sometime early next week, I am still not too sure about the rims though Like my friend said we'd go to his uncles place do it let it sit and dry and then leave but I would have imagined it'd take a bit longer then a day to be driveable.

#13 ·
ive seen gold painted stock rims...it doesnt look that bad, but clearly sti bbs rims or rotas would look much better. I think u should prep ## wheels the night before...clean and sand and then wake up early the next day to start painting if you want to be done by the end of the day. Just remember if you drive with your rims before they are 100% dry, you will et stuff that sticks to them and makes them look like crap.

Concerning the tints:

you will just not be able to roll up your windows for about 3 days. The back windsheild on my car came out fine, but then again i went to a quality shop which charged around 250 for my car with a 20% tint. it looks really good. Dont cheap out on the tints, you will be sorry if you do.

#14 ·
Actually i would not put the wheels back on the day after. My friend did that and the rims got stuck on the car. Took a lot of power to pull them off.

Tints: The only downside to tints is that its so hard to see at night. But I hate being in a fishbowl. Limo tinted all the windows then I got caught. Took off the front ones but left it on.

#15 ·
Yeah, I found a few places to do the tints the one place was kinda weird though the guy didn't speak english very well so it was very difficult for me to understand him, what I got out of him was that there was only a 1 year warranty and that it'd cost 100 for the rear...I called another place that had a life time warranty but it cost 180 I have heard both places do excellent work but I think the life time warranty is alot more comforting then a year long warranty...The same friend who I want to do the rims with is getting his car tinted so I think I might go to the place hes going to its 120 dollars and has a life time warranty.

#19 ·
IMO the older model wheels look bangin in gold. I will try to find some pictures for you i think i have some on my computer. i think it will look good as long as you put in the time and effort to doa good job.

#22 ·
This is true, Just wanted some opinions, I think the gold might be a little to flashy for me...I tend to go for some what simple stuff but at the same time not to boring which makes things hard for me to decide lol...I think I am going to go with either semi gloss black, or perhaps if possible having the rims painted the same color as my car that subaru black with almost like blueish stuff in it not sure how that'd look but worth a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.