Older jdm sti with a 5 speed? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

i_love_wrx03 is an unknown
Question Older jdm sti with a 5 speed?

So im in the process of swaping out the ej20 in my 02 bugeye and im puting in a 04 ej25.. and the dude i bought the short block from also has "what he claims" a jdm sti 5 speed tranny that he may sell to me. My questions are.. 1. are the gears better than my 02 wrx tranny.. 2. do i need to swap axles, drive shaft, rear diff, ect. he also says it comes with the module that makes it go rear wheel to all wheel..is that true??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
There was a JDM 5-speed STi. I believe it's the 97-00 variety. It can be installed, not sure what's involved. It's not generally available stateside. RWD option just means a little mod in the diff. It's incredibly stupid, but doable. Say goodbye to your other diffs, they won't last long.

BTW, the EJ25 is drive by wire and you have a drive by cable fueling system. If you really swap'd an 04 EJ257, you would have had to do things like change your gas petal, etc. Sounds like you're building a hybrid with EJ205 heads and EJ257 shortblock maybe? We generally call those "hybrids" not "EJ25".

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

well as far as the rwd i dont reallt care about all that im jus concerned with the gears if they are the same as my stock 02 gears

but yea i have heard the term hybrid before, do you think i will have to change the gas petal? im still using my wrx intake, he only thing im using from an sti is the short block.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM

Garage
Between your intake and that shortblock is a whole lot of stuff m8. Your turbo and intercooler for one, but also the entire top part of your EJ205 motor including the fuel injectors, etc. If you're making a hybrid by using your EJ205 heads with the EJ257 shortblock then you are staying drive by cable and don't need to change much. Just the tune, really. Just understand that it's a considerably different motor to any USDM EJ25 motor that's been sold so if you're looking for other parts down the road, you'll have to be specific about what engine is under your hood.

I'd say there's a high risk that the tranny he's selling you is in fact a USDM 5-speed with RA spec'd gears. This is NOT even CLOSE to a JDM STi 5-speed. It's a common modification to the stock WRX 5-speed when people blow out a gear (usually first or second) and does add a small bit of strength as well as shortening the 1-4 ratios slightly. It's still not a particularly stout transmission. Again, another technical distinction to some but one that's a whole world of different.

post #5 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Whoa whoa whoa. Is it a USDM EJ255/257? or a JDM EJ207 sti short block? Two completly different things.

04 Impreza engines

USDM
WRX - EJ205
STI - EJ257
Impreza - non turbo engine block EJ20 (open deck)

JDM
WRX - EJ205
STI - EJ207
Impreza - non turbo engine block EJ20(open deck)

The non turbo engine (open deck) would be a bad idea to ever use on a wrx engine build.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae

Last edited by turmic; 03-19-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Made my responce a lot less confusing, lol
post #6 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well as far as the turbo and injectors i jus purchased a 20g, a set of 800cc injectors and a walbro 255 fuel pump...and im gettin it dyno tuned after all that. but it sounds like instead of fooling with this jdm 5 speed i should prob jus get some ppg gears for my tranny
post #7 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
If you love your wrx. You'll baby the crap out of it until you get the ppgs, par gears, albins, or anything other than the 02 stock gears in it. Once you put all of that stuff on your car. Because, the 02s are notorious for having horribly weak 1 and 2 oem gears.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #8 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 AM

Garage
Bleh, fine. Late model Turbo EJ's 101:

EJ205 = USDM 02-05 WRX !!!!!DRIVE BY CABLE!!!!
EJ255 = USDM WRX 06+, LGT, FXT
EJ257 = USDM STi 04+

EJ207 is a JDM STi engine. Never hit the states. I think the first year was in 99? Still used in Japan but was phased out of Europe recently.

If you want to know the rest of the EJ motors (like, say, that the 98 USDM RS got an EJ25D), check out wiki:
Subaru EJ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

the short block is a ej257.. its for sure out of a usdm sti, and yes i know all about the wrx 5 speed issues. im on my 3rd tranny, i have become a pro at swaping a wrx trans. thats why i was askin about the jdm sti trans ### its time to upgrade.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Garage
3rd tranny? Well then you're the kind of guy that needs to pony up and fix it properly with some PPG's. Nothing else will do.

post #11 of 11 Old 03-19-2010, 02:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Pretty sure after three you could have gone big on the first one with PPG's eh? My trans goes once, it's getting beefed up. I'm just hoping it lasts long enough for me to pay cash for a good set of gears.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement