Ok guys. Help me pick a turbo! Will be buying tomorrow!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-08-2006, 11:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
Ok guys. Help me pick a turbo! Will be buying tomorrow!!

After doing some research on momentum and talking to vendors, tuners, users of this particular turbo I have decided against it for a number of reasons. I'm now going to buy either an FP18G or an FP16G with the 18g or evo III 16G compressor wheel upgrade. I will not be racing this car or auto crossing. It is my daily driver that I drive about 25 miles or so daily, and occasionally sees the freeway. I may take it to the 1/4 track once or twice to get it base lined but that's about it. I really want a car that will perform impressively when I need the power that won't be too laggy. I used to drive a fully built 91 Mustang that ran 11s and I miss the power. I just want something with some balls that will be a reliable street car. Ideally i'm looking for 300whp or more.So...that being said, I will list my supporting mods below. Look forward to hearing your opinions.

Perrin divorced downpipe
Helix uppipe
borla hush
Cobb AP
Sti Pink injectors
TurboXS tmic
Walboro feul pump

P.S. I am going to be using a custom map from PDXtuning for whatever setup i eventually end up getting. I plan on having a regular 91 cali map, and a 91 map with torco additive.

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2006, 12:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
I relly like the 16g's myself. With a good tune you should easily see 300 hp with it. Not to mention quick spool. That's what sold me on them anyways.

I'm not sure of the flow rate for the 18g, but it's always an option too. I'll have to do some research myself when it comes down to this, simply because I don't want to get a tmic upgrade and find out that I need a fmic.

My vote goes to the Evo3.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#3 Old 02-09-2006, 12:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9d2TSi
I relly like the 16g's myself. With a good tune you should easily see 300 hp with it. Not to mention quick spool. That's what sold me on them anyways.

I'm not sure of the flow rate for the 18g, but it's always an option too. I'll have to do some research myself when it comes down to this, simply because I don't want to get a tmic upgrade and find out that I need a fmic.

My vote goes to the Evo3.
So Stacy, enlighten me a little here on the benefit of the EVO III compressor wheel. It flows less CFM than the 18G wheel but costs more. Is it more efficient? Spool faster? Also.. I'm in so cali so i'll be running on piss 91 octane, but like I mentioned earlier I plan on running turco on every fillup.

- Sean
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#4 Old 02-09-2006, 12:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'm not very familiar with the 18g turbos at all really, but from personal experience with the Evo3, I really liked the quick spool and the punch that it gave when it kicked. I'm not saying that the 18g is bad or anything, I just like the 16g's. I'll be in the market for a turbo pretty soon, I'll more than likely go with either the deadbolt super 16g or the FP Evo3 when I do.

#5 Old 02-10-2006, 12:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
UPDATE: I talked to the guys at forced performance and my local tuner (Dan at Harman Motive) and came to the consensus that the TD05-18G would be the best turbo to suit my needs. Slightly laggier than the 16G but puts down more power. Depending on the gas I run I'll see anywhere from 300-340whp with this setup using sti pinks according to both my tuner and FP. So here's what I ordered from forced performance:

TD05-18G with water lines installed
Ported housing
braided steel oil line
new gasket set

As an aside, I was talking about the momentum EJ5-40T with my tuner today and he said that the most recent one he worked with had a horrible boost creep problem and couldn't get it to run more than 11psi of boost. I also spoke to another tuner who used to carry the momentum line who was also dissatisfied with the performance/customer service of momentum and their products. So, I decided to spend some more money and buy a high quality turbo from somebody that I can trust.

Moral of that story? If you want to have a successful business, then make your customers your number one priority. This consists of following through with your customers when they have a question, need something addressed, or need one their products serviced. After doing extensive research on various boards and talking to other tuners/consumers I came to the objective conclusion that momentum does not share the same philosophy that I do. That being said, I more than happily spent substantially more money on a product that I have confidence in and know I can receive support on in the future.

- Sean
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#6 Old 02-10-2006, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Awesome Sean, I'm glad that you found what you wanted. Please keep me posted with your new turbo. I'll be upgrading some time this summer and I'm really curious on how you feel about this one.

#7 Old 02-11-2006, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

al5dsm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to al5dsm
I would advise getting bigger injectors than STi pinks for a 18g.
#8 Old 02-11-2006, 01:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Antyoo is an unknown
hey, BiggSean i live in valencia

we should meet up some time

here is a pic of my car, maybe you have seen me driving around

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/IMG_1145.jpg
#9 Old 02-11-2006, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
I think everyone knows what Turbo I would say you should get for your EJ20

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#10 Old 02-11-2006, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4592
I think everyone knows what Turbo I would say you should get for your EJ20
Haha I know. Unfortunately, I havn't had the best customer service experience with momentum and there have been some issues with those turbos as of late that have caused me to have doubt in their reliability. The 18G i'm buying has a flow rate of 605cfm so i'm sure i'll be quite happy with it. I really wanted to spend my hard earned money on something that I was confident could be taken care of by the manufacturer/vendor if necessary. Momentum certainly didn't inspire the level of confidence in me that Forced Performance did. That and several tuners/vendors ALL recommended the FP turbo.

- Sean
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#11 Old 02-11-2006, 08:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antyoo
hey, BiggSean i live in valencia

we should meet up some time

here is a pic of my car, maybe you have seen me driving around

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/IMG_1145.jpg
Hmmm..I havn't seen that one around. Maybe you've seen mine. PM me and we can meet up sometime. Here's some pics of mine:

- Sean
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#12 Old 02-11-2006, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggSean
Haha I know. Unfortunately, I havn't had the best customer service experience with momentum and there have been some issues with those turbos as of late that have caused me to have doubt in their reliability. The 18G i'm buying has a flow rate of 605cfm so i'm sure i'll be quite happy with it. I really wanted to spend my hard earned money on something that I was confident could be taken care of by the manufacturer/vendor if necessary. Momentum certainly didn't inspire the level of confidence in me that Forced Performance did. That and several tuners/vendors ALL recommended the FP turbo.

issues???? do tell; I haven't heard of any at all

#13 Old 02-11-2006, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Quote:
issues???? do tell; I haven't heard of any at all
First tuner: The turbos that he has installed/tuned have had major boost creep issues. The latest one he could not get to boost past 11 psi.

Second tuner: Of the turbos they installed during the beta tester program most have come back blown up. Of those blown turbos, there are still many just sitting around waiting to be replaced/repaired by momentum.

My main gripe with the momentum is their customer service, or lack of it. I sent multiple emails over the course of nearly a month without a single response. They don't list a phone number to contact them at, and the vendors that do still have relationships with them will merely "pass on" any concerns to momentum rather than offer any other constructive solutions. Sorry, but that's not the the type of business that i'm willing to support.

- Sean
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#14 Old 02-11-2006, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggSean
First tuner: The turbos that he has installed/tuned have had major boost creep issues. The latest one he could not get to boost past 11 psi. <----- MY CAR..my boost controller (that I made myself) failed

Second tuner: Of the turbos they installed during the beta tester program most have come back blown up. Of those blown turbos, there are still many just sitting around waiting to be replaced/repaired by momentum. <---MY CAR AGAIN...the stock Bajo Bolt does not feed enough oil to the turbo...Brian and I fixed this by drilling the hole in the bolt bigger.

My main gripe with the momentum is their customer service, or lack of it. Ok...granted Brian isn't the best guy to talk to one on one....you best bet is to find someone who sells the turbo and go through them...Brian only likes to deal with distributors

I sent multiple emails over the course of nearly a month without a single response. They don't list a phone number to contact them at, and the vendors that do still have relationships with them will merely "pass on" any concerns to momentum rather than offer any other constructive solutions. Sorry, but that's not the the type of business that i'm willing to support.
I can understand were you are coming from....I only defend him because I know him personally and I can be your "go to guy" if you would like... I am not a dealer or do I make money from this kinda business but I know a good turbo when I use one....I was a 'BETA' tester for the 40T and I used many other turbos on my car during the testing to do the Compare Contrast thing....and the 40T out performed all of it's competitors and still is...I have used and abused the 40T for over a year now and it still spins like day one.

BTW.....what kinda exhaust is that on the wagon....me likey

#15 Old 02-11-2006, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Quote:
I can understand were you are coming from....I only defend him because I know him personally and I can be your "go to guy" if you would like... I am not a dealer or do I make money from this kinda business but I know a good turbo when I use one....I was a 'BETA' tester for the 40T and I used many other turbos on my car during the testing to do the Compare Contrast thing....and the 40T out performed all of it's competitors and still is...I have used and abused the 40T for over a year now and it still spins like day one.

BTW.....what kinda exhaust is that on the wagon....me likey
Are you saying that you were the person in the first scenario that couldn't get the car to boost past 11 psi? The tuner I'm talking about is located in Southern Cali and just worked on this car last week, so it can't be you. Honestly you're one of the only people that has had any luck with this turbo and is still running it. Everybody else that I've talked to says to stay far from it, and the people who claimed to have great luck with the turbo all eventually sold off their 40Ts.

I just don't see any data/testimonials out there to sway me in another direction at this point. And it's very unfortunate because I really thought it was going to be the perfect turbo. Brian has managed to get himself banned from almost every enthusiast board out there, and doesn't follow up with consumers who are genuinely interested in investing their hard earned cash on his products. If he wants to run a successful business he really needs to make some significant changes.

And it's a borla hush system. Thanks

- Sean
▼SbiΣ Mi▼