oil from the turbo, exhaust side - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

ColoWRXer is more helpful than not
oil from the turbo, exhaust side

i have an 05 wrx. in the last few months i've had a few instances of smoke from under the hood...i pinpointed the source as the turbo/dp connection. when i installed my bellmouth i reused the gasket, which could have contributed. so, i took off my dp to check things out...i have a fair amount of oil in my intake tract which i know if pretty normal, and will be looking into catchcans soon. but i noticed there's oil in the exhaust turbine too. i found there is a very small amount of shaft play in the turbo, almost not noticable. I drive pretty agressively.

so is this normal after only 30K miles? or could there be an additional problem? i am stage 2 AP with a protune. I'm thinking of trying to get a new turbo under warranty, but don't want this to happen again if there's something else i can do to avoid it.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
it depends on how agressively you drive, sound like to me that you are on the higher end of the spectrum. i have a turbo with 80000 miles on it that is in perfect condition.

good luck getting a new turbo under warrenty. with a DP there a slim chance that they will do it.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

ColoWRXer is more helpful than not
thanks for the reply. yes, i drive very aggressively, but probably less than 5% of the time. I typically accelerate smoothly and shift at or below 3K RPM, but when i step on it i like taking it to redline through a couple gears. so driving style will affect turbo life then? makes sense, i'm sure it will affect engine life and everything else....but hey, what's the fun of having a fast car if you never go fast in it? a tuner car is a never-ending project anyways, right?

I still have all my stock parts and will be putting them on before taking my car to the shop. i used to work at that dealership and there was an sti with a fmic and exhaust and everything else and they gave the guy 2 new turbos before voiding his warranty (he brought it back in to get a third turbo).

-colowrxer
#4 Old 02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
See this is where it's nice to know the head tech at the local dealership I had my turbo freeze up while on the dyno and it was replaced free of charge. I have also had the tranny replaced under warranty, which at first I suspected was my fault, but later was found to not be . All of this while Mark knowing my car had been modded gave it the okay to have this work done to my car. I wouldn't expect him to do that now, but I still buy parts from them for normal maintence and things of that nature(i.e. gaskets, alots of gaskets)

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...