Subaru WRX Forum banner

oil from the turbo, exhaust side

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 ·
i have an 05 wrx. in the last few months i've had a few instances of smoke from under the hood...i pinpointed the source as the turbo/dp connection. when i installed my bellmouth i reused the gasket, which could have contributed. so, i took off my dp to check things out...i have a fair amount of oil in my intake tract which i know if pretty normal, and will be looking into catchcans soon. but i noticed there's oil in the exhaust turbine too. i found there is a very small amount of shaft play in the turbo, almost not noticable. I drive pretty agressively.

so is this normal after only 30K miles? or could there be an additional problem? i am stage 2 AP with a protune. I'm thinking of trying to get a new turbo under warranty, but don't want this to happen again if there's something else i can do to avoid it.

thanks.

#2 ·
it depends on how agressively you drive, sound like to me that you are on the higher end of the spectrum. i have a turbo with 80000 miles on it that is in perfect condition.

good luck getting a new turbo under warrenty. with a DP there a slim chance that they will do it.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply. yes, i drive very aggressively, but probably less than 5% of the time. I typically accelerate smoothly and shift at or below 3K RPM, but when i step on it i like taking it to redline through a couple gears. so driving style will affect turbo life then? makes sense, i'm sure it will affect engine life and everything else....but hey, what's the fun of having a fast car if you never go fast in it? a tuner car is a never-ending project anyways, right?

I still have all my stock parts and will be putting them on before taking my car to the shop. i used to work at that dealership and there was an sti with a fmic and exhaust and everything else and they gave the guy 2 new turbos before voiding his warranty (he brought it back in to get a third turbo).

-colowrxer

#4 ·
See this is where it's nice to know the head tech at the local dealership:D I had my turbo freeze up while on the dyno and it was replaced free of charge. I have also had the tranny replaced under warranty, which at first I suspected was my fault, but later was found to not be!Thumbs Up . All of this while Mark knowing my car had been modded gave it the okay to have this work done to my car. I wouldn't expect him to do that now, but I still buy parts from them for normal maintence and things of that nature(i.e. gaskets, alots of gaskets:D)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.