Subaru WRX Forum banner

Oil leak after uppipe

12K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  baller_v24 
#1 ·
So, I installed my up pipe and cat back today. Everything seemed to go on fairly easily. Was driving home and noticed some white smoke coming out from under the hood, figured it was the liquid wrench burning off. Parked my car and took a nap. I just went out there to go to the store and when I came back I noticed a large amount of motor oil on the ground. What the hell did I hit that could cause an oil leak like that? It's hard to tell the point of origin because there's one big spot and a couple little ones around that. I had kind of a hard time getting the IC back on but I don't think that would drop that much oil. The only thing I can think of is I either busted an oil line to the turbo while jacking up the engine to put the up pipe in. I need to get it fixed so I don't run the engine dry and fry my internals and turbo.

#2 ·
Okay, so this morning I went out to my car and looked around near the turbo since that was where the smoke seemed to be coming from. I looked on top and there is a barrel nut with a copper pipe coming off directly on top of the turbo and then goes into a rubber hose and back into a copper pipe and then down into the bottom of the turbo. That's the best I can describe it. I started the car and noticed at the barrel nut there was oil leaking out between the pipe and turbo. What is that hose/pipe called?

#4 ·
the banjo bolt is the oil "in" line. and the rubber hose on the bottom of the turbo is the oil return line. all you have to do is get the right size copper washers to fit the banjo bolt, there is 2 of them on either side of the hard line

#8 ·
same prob with up pipe

I seem to be having the same problem so i'll set up the scene...I've had a tsudo catback, and just recently installed an HKS downpipe and uppipe. The installation took a while but nothing extremely difficult. I also wrapped the downpipe with heat wrap. But after a day or two of driving it i noticed a decent amount of oil leakage. it was barely on the dip stick once i noticed. One thing i did notice was that the oil in feed line on the turbo was loose and it tightened a good 1/3 turn very easily but i never over torqued the bolt. The smoke is still coming from around the trubo but is it from the wrap or the possibly loose bolt, beceause it is still smoking??? Did adding the copper washer help ## leak is what i'm basically asking?

#18 ·
same problem

After attempting to install one piece header and uppipe, I ended up just re-installing the stock uppipe and headers. However, after bolting everything up and starting the car, i noticed the turbo leaking oil.

You said to get copper washers, where do u get copper washers? what size? and where do they go? Can you post a picture? I just got my subie a couple wks ago. I'm not sure where everything is yet.

Okay, so this morning I went out to my car and looked around near the turbo since that was where the smoke seemed to be coming from. I looked on top and there is a barrel nut with a copper pipe coming off directly on top of the turbo and then goes into a rubber hose and back into a copper pipe and then down into the bottom of the turbo. That's the best I can describe it. I started the car and noticed at the barrel nut there was oil leaking out between the pipe and turbo. What is that hose/pipe called?
I am having the same problem with my subie, can you post a picture?

#12 ·
Honestly for the 150 bucks i paid it's awesome, great fitment and good brand. However, i question the fact that there is no bellmouth where it connects to the turbo. as of now i have no ecu tuning so there are no issues besides a CEL. so i don't know how it will perform once i get an accessport. hopefully it'll work decently cause i'm not shooting for 400 whp or anything.!Thumbs Up i mean there is a bigger opening than a stock pipe put still it blocks the wastegate flow. It sounds like a freaking v8, i must say.

#14 ·
yea sounds like an accurate assumption. like i said i'm not going for a crapload of hp maybe a moderate 350 at the crank, just enough to out go an sti. it should all be based on the ammount of flow...? if i have to i'll just get a better one. i was just glad to get the cat out of it...hehe:rocks:

#19 ·
I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post. I will not double post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.