• 2 Post By man show
  • 2 Post By man show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is more helpful than not
Garage
Oil Leak from '04 WRX Oil Cooler Housing

I've got a slight leak from the oil cooler housing, and it's making the side of the oil filter wet.

Do I need just a replacement O-ring (item 29) in the parts diagram below
, and it is straightforward to replace if front of my WRX is up on jack stands or ramps?
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 11-04-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Correct parts diagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2013, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

erad is an unknown
I did this not long ago along with new oil pan. Car was on ramps. While it is probably easier with the pan off, once you spin off your filter, you will need a 22mm deep socket (I might be wrong there) to unbolt the rod/connector the filter spins onto and what holds the cooler to the under side of your block. The oil cooler is normally on there pretty snug cause of the input and output coolant lines going through it.. You might want to loosen the collars of the hoses and pull it down, but not right off the hoses. They may weep a bit of coolant so be prepared with a pan, which you should have there from your filter removal anyway. The gasket is an inespensive piece.. like 4-5$ from the dealer if I recall. Make sure you clean the areas on the cooler and the block where they mate. a bit of clean motor oil to seal the deal or you can use a light light coating of a flexible gasket maker to hold the ring in place on the cooler while you turn it back around to meet the block again. Reinsert your filter rod/connector and torque to spec (50.9 ft lbs). Lightly oil new filters ring, make sure mating surface is clean and free of debris or coolant.. spin on as normal. Drive and let cool down..check for leaks.
#3 Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Thanks Erad. I found the procedure in the service manual, which calls to drain the oil and coolant.

I've got the gasket from Subaru $9, so the next step is to get the rest from Canadian Tire (my employer):

1. Three Bond liquid gasket,
2. Replacement coolant (at the end of it's life), and
3. Rhino ramps.
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
#4 Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Get race ramps if you can.... worth every penny in case of unforseen changes.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

erad is an unknown
I have rhino ramps too, I normally jack and drop onto the ramps.. I think my lowered springs come into contact with the lip of the front bumper.

While draining of the coolant isn't necessary dong my method of loosening and twisting, you might be better doing it by the book if you are draining your coolant and oil anyway. it will also reduce your risk of damaging the mating surfaces when you would twist the cooler down and away from the block to remove the gasket. You need some good long needle nose pliers to get at those hose clamps that have shields on them too.

It's not hard at all.. just probably more time consuming than you care for.
LW_Black4 likes this.
#6 Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Get race ramps if you can.... worth every penny in case of unforseen changes.
Race Ramps are the jam!

You just have to get a little creative if you want to use them when your 07 WRX has an STi V-Limited replica front lip and is lowered on BC BR coilovers
Attached Images

turmic and arewmors like this.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've seen em slope a bit more than that.... longer than a garage but still. Nice John.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Car looks great man_show. I'm keeping my practical ride height for sure, but how did you lower your WRX and how does it handle lowered?

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
#9 Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Those are the 56" ramps which worked fine at stock ride height and no front lip. With the V-Limited front lip at stock ride height, I had to drive up on one piece of wood. After installing the coilovers and with only 4" of clearance under my front bumper, I had to come up with that crazy contraption. Race Ramps also makes 67" ramps and ramp extensions which might have worked... but I already had these and I decided this was the best option.

BC BR coilovers have been great so far. 30 clicks of adjustability make selecting the appropriate stiffness nice and easy. Soft in the winter months or when my parents are in the car and full stiff when I wanna rock and roll through some turns in the summer.

On a related note: I drove over a dead squirrel and a live box turtle the other day and the little guy survived. 4" of clearance in the front is practical enough. I don't have any issues with speed bumps either - big ones or small ones.

...and now, back to our regularly scheduled oil leak discussion
LW_Black4 and arewmors like this.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)