oil in intercooler - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

98jdmwrx is an unknown
oil in intercooler

well, i finalluy installed my tbe yesterday, but may have uncovered some trouble. when taking off the tmic to get to the bolts on the turbo, I noticed oil in the intercooler. My first thought was that the turbo may be going, but then a friend said it could be the breather hose sucking oil. Is that possible or is my turbo going, and how can I check to make sure. Another thing is there is no oil coming out of the exhaust side of the turbo- its bone dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-11-2007, 11:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
every turbo charge car I have owned or worked on always had oil in the intercooler, a catch can will help with that problem.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-12-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

98jdmwrx is an unknown
I've heard of catch cans but didnt know what they were. So my turbo may be gone after all.
But where is the oil coming from, is it from the breather hose?
post #4 of 17 Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

imprez_tion is an unknown
well. from what i know about oil being in the intakes of non turbo cars and intercooler of turbo cars. i dont think its any thing too bad. from what i think, with all those vacum hose and if you bet up on your car, some times or most times when your valves were to open and works its way high in your rpms, some how oil might come up through the valves and stuff. but thats me think. ### i've seen it on my civic, accord, mom's camery, wrx I both wagon and saden), and my other family and friends cars. so i dont thinks its anything bad or going bad. to me its normal, even tho i know that oil shouldn't be in the intake or intercooler. but i think its nothing major to worry about or over. my best advise is to turst your car. your the owner, driver, you should be able to tell when something is going wrong or is going to go wrong. if your car seems fine, then my guess is that its fine. or maybe i'm just to relax about my cars and stuff. anyways if anyone else does have something else i might need your help as well.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-12-2007, 01:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
I never had oil come out of my turbo's exhaust side?
post #6 of 17 Old 04-12-2007, 01:35 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05WRX View Post
every turbo charge car I have owned or worked on always had oil in the intercooler, a catch can will help with that problem.
Yup.It's blow-by from the PCV system.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #7 of 17 Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

98jdmwrx is an unknown
Thanks guys for the consructive feedback, I know if oil was coming out of the exhaust side of the turbo then the seals may be gone . But since the exhaust side is dry I dont think its the seals. The car runs good, I got it from japan bone stock , last week I took it to the track and did 3 runs (1/8th mile) 9.4, 8.9, 8.8 respectively. Now with the tbe, its pulling hard from about 2800 rpm. I think i'll invest in a catch can, and once i get it i'll clean out the intercooler with some degreaser. The blow by oil makes sense ### the oil in the intercooler was thin and black. Thanks again for all your inputs. Luv this site!!!
post #8 of 17 Old 04-13-2007, 02:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
One thing to do to maximize cooling is clean the intercooler, it helps a ton more then you realize cause the oil coating the intercooler destroys its efficancy.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-13-2007, 04:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
i have never understood how the hell to set up a catchcan.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Also blow-by gases can effectivly reduce the octane rating of the gas when mixed/ignited in the cumbustion chamber.I have 2.One is in line between the PVC valve and intake manifold.The other is inbetween the valve cover vents(tubes on the front of the TMIC) and the turbo inlet.Alot of people use one can and connect all that stuff together but its best not to.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-13-2007, 09:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

metroscub is more helpful than not
could you by anychance give us a write on the installation of a catch can?

Matthew
Wow, it can turn well too?
post #12 of 17 Old 04-13-2007, 11:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

03Rex04 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroscub View Post
could you by anychance give us a write on the installation of a catch can?
I am not 100% sure on the EJ motors ( I am new to subaru) but its all about the same. Every block will have block plugs for venting but they are plugged from the factory. All you do is buy your catch can and 2 new block plugs with airline nipples on them to clamp the hoses to. You run the 2 plugs with lines clamped onto them to the can. MAKE SURE YOUR CAN HAS A BREATHER ON TOP, sealed cans DO NOT work properly and hold in the pressure. Then run an open line from the pcv system to vent into atmosphere under the car.

NOW - If I am wrong about block plugs on these motors follow these steps

Remove both PCV systems from the valve covers so that its a plain open vent. Now run your 2 lines into the can this way. This will work ok too. BUT this will only vent topend of the engine and your bottem end will still have too much pressure (depending on HP levels of course).

ON my last car 500-700whp I ran BOTH the block and valve cover cans. The valve cover venting made the engine feel much looser and felt like it reved without stress.

Anyone with any info on the EJ engines can chime in .. mine is just a basic how to on any engine.

Buy my 700 whp Drag Civic .... wooo weee
post #13 of 17 Old 04-13-2007, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

03Rex04 is an unknown
OH and on the topic of oil in the cooler..

It could be the PCV but most likely your turbo is pushing the oil past the center section. Try to get ahold of an oil restrctor to ease the pain. Plus it will spool faster

And oil out the exhaust side will burn inside the housing. It will drip and collect around the outside of the exhaust flange though.

Buy my 700 whp Drag Civic .... wooo weee
post #14 of 17 Old 04-13-2007, 12:59 PM
WRXpert

Here is some great info on catch cans:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754710
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...ighlight=catch
No need for block plugs as the PCV system is tapped straight off the block.Its a "Y".

post #15 of 17 Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

98jdmwrx is an unknown
so for i havent seen any oil residue onthe flange, but i will be watching it.

03 rex04- good point about the oil resrtictor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement