Oil change? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 06-23-2008, 07:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I use AMS Oil 5w-30. The answer to my question is yes. As long as you get the subaru dealership to special order the banjo bolts and crush washers. They will take the turbo oil screens out for you. At least my closest dealership's parts and service center said they would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-06-2008, 05:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Bringing this back to life. Has anyone here done this? We will be doing this tonight. I'm confused. I read every link and it seems like there's conflicting info about which ones are more important to remove. The ACVS bolts and filters are the ones removed by subaru in thier bulletin correct? The turbo bolt however is more important in some opinions because it frees up the flow to the turbo, but is it necessary with a stock turbo? Any ideas? I'll let everyone know how we do.

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
#18 Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What's the outcome BC ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#19 Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Girl View Post
Bringing this back to life. Has anyone here done this? We will be doing this tonight. I'm confused. I read every link and it seems like there's conflicting info about which ones are more important to remove. The ACVS bolts and filters are the ones removed by subaru in thier bulletin correct? The turbo bolt however is more important in some opinions because it frees up the flow to the turbo, but is it necessary with a stock turbo? Any ideas? I'll let everyone know how we do.
The 2.0L WRX's (02-05) do not have ACVS nor the turbo oil line filter.This is only a concern for the 06+ WRX's

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#20 Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

LeohMit is an unknown
That SUX!! I just read this, & the posts in the link, for the past hour. & now someone (dumdum) tells me my car is too old to have the frigg'n things! Where were you an hour ago dude!? From now on I'm go'n thru these posts backwards!!!!!

Tim "That Thangs Got Turbo?"
#21 Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
The 2.0L WRX's (02-05) do not have ACVS nor the turbo oil line filter.This is only a concern for the 06+ WRX's
Whew....I felt really stupid these last couple of days because I couldn't even find the ACVS bolts at all. We found the one to the turbo and removed it, but no filter. I just figured that someone had already pulled it because it wasn't there. My car had been heavily modded prior to my owning it so I thought that whoever pulled it must have had a larger turbo and done the work themselves. I have another "issue" now.
While pulling it out my husband lost a bolt to the uppipe bracket and now there's a "vibration" to my car when it sits at idle. Also, when I turn it off it kind of sputers and turns off hard. It kind of did that before, but I noticed it more now. Any ideas?

#22 Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
06 WRX and STI only with the screens... Per my dealer here. 07-up do not have them in there.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#23 Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Just a thought, but is it possible that the lost bolt has lodged itself under a motor mount and that's what's causing the vibration?

#24 Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
06 WRX and STI only with the screens... Per my dealer here. 07-up do not have them in there.
the 04-05 STIs should still have them. because if you read the link they started to stop putting the ACVS screens in mid 05 production year.

Quote:
Just a thought, but is it possible that the lost bolt has lodged itself under a motor mount and that's what's causing the vibration?
As far as the vibration? It sounds more like the missing bolt is causing a leak in your up-pipe? plus a vibration. the only reason i say that is that it sounds like a leak from the sputtering idle and hard shut off. Could be wrong though.
#25 Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Does anybody know what size bolt I need for the missing one in the uppipe? We looked for it for an hour last night and it's dissapeared into never never land.
Another question. We did some research last night and my husband found a site that said that the gap on our plugs should be 0.044 so he changed the gap from 0.042 to 0.044. Then I found an old post here that said it should only be 0.038-0.042. They are platinum plugs but I'm not sure what brand. It seems to run better now with the larger gap. It doesn't sputter as much when I shut it off and it seems to have a bit more power during early acceleration. Does anybody know if this would be a problem? By the way, still a significant vibration while sitting at idle.

#26 Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Hey Turmic, read above.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#27 Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Does anybody know what size bolt I need for the missing one in the uppipe? We looked for it for an hour last night and it's dissapeared into never never land.
Another question. We did some research last night and my husband found a site that said that the gap on our plugs should be 0.044 so he changed the gap from 0.042 to 0.044. Then I found an old post here that said it should only be 0.038-0.042. They are platinum plugs but I'm not sure what brand. It seems to run better now with the larger gap. It doesn't sputter as much when I shut it off and it seems to have a bit more power during early acceleration. Does anybody know if this would be a problem? By the way, still a significant vibration while sitting at idle.
That gap is for a N/A Impreza.The gap range on our cars according to the manual is .028-.032 You can find the manuals here.
Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com
A gap that big will cause spark "blow out" at higher boost levels.Forced induction cars have to run smaller gaps than N/A cars.Did you check to see what the gap was of the plugs you removed?

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#28 Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Quote:
That gap is for a N/A Impreza.The gap range on our cars according to the manual is .028-.032 You can find the manuals here.
Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com
A gap that big will cause spark "blow out" at higher boost levels.Forced induction cars have to run smaller gaps than N/A cars.Did you check to see what the gap was of the plugs you removed?
Yeah, one of them was 0.041 and the other three were 0.042. So we should take them down quite a bit. Good thing I only drove to work this morning, and needless to say I wasn't in a big hurry to get there so I didn't use any boost. Thanks dumdum.

#29 Old 07-09-2008, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

ride5000 is an unknown
Quote:
Yeah, one of them was 0.041 and the other three were 0.042. So we should take them down quite a bit. Good thing I only drove to work this morning, and needless to say I wasn't in a big hurry to get there so I didn't use any boost. Thanks dumdum.
you guys will find that gaps start to get problematic in the 40-45 range.

both larry (hotrod on nasioc) and i had some issues running high boost (ie 25psi) with the gap that big. lower boost was fine.

hth
ken
#30 Old 07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Thanks. Any ideas on the vibration? I am going to get a new bolt for the uppipe to see if that makes a difference, but I don't know what size I need and the dealership couldn't even tell me.