Oil change? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Oil change?

Me and my dad were reading about oil changes for my subaru on aims oil (I believe thats the spelling) and supposedly subaru found a problem with all turbo charge cars that the filter gets clogged if you wait to long to change your oil so they said to get your oil chnaged every 3700 miles untill the issue is resolved, Was this issue ever resolved? Or is this still a on going problem?

Dream Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I have never heard of this issue, but you are supposed to change your oil every 3,750mi anyway according to the owners manual.
post #3 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
ah i see yah this could be a old issue then, because on the site it said they originally had it at 7,000 miles and then reduced to to 3750 so im assuming this was before our cars time. btw nice wrx it looks familar :-p

Dream Evil
post #4 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 02:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hey dream, you smokin.... you SHOULD be changin it every 3k. Regardless of what anyone says. Save the headaches. Shouldn't she be worth it??

BTW---- What kind of filter was it??

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
post #6 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh15 View Post
This is awesome info besides. This should have it's own sticky. I've never even heard of this.

Also,
I was under the impresion that if you are running synthetic you are good for 4k to 5k miles.
post #7 of 34 Old 06-21-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah I think thats why my dad was kinda confused he's running aims oil synthetic or w/e on all of our cars and I think that was the article he read he didnt show me he just mentioned it to me since I have a oil change coming up.

Also Lately I think I have been having maybe a bit of a oil leak, My dad thought it was from maybe carbon build up since I rarely take it on the high way to open it up so we put some stuff into a vacum hose that I guess cleans out the intake turbo and exhuast and all the valves and injectors and stuff in case there was carbon build up and this morning it was still puffin alil bit of blueish smoke so after we did that we took it on the high way for a good hour to a hour in a half and when we got it back it stopped puffing im going to let it sit for a few hours and see if it still is doing it.

The oil leak must be really small though because I have had the car for about 4 months or so and have put on like maybe 1.500 miles or something of that nature and I haven't had to like refill the oil it is pretty much full so if I do have a oil leak it has to be very tiny. I have had the exhaust on for about a week but since I do not do such long distance driving on the high way or have not done so since getting the exhaust is there a possibility the exhaust is still smoking?

Dream Evil
post #8 of 34 Old 06-22-2008, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
This is awesome info besides. This should have it's own sticky. I've never even heard of this.

Also,
I was under the impresion that if you are running synthetic you are good for 4k to 5k miles.
Subaru has published Service Bulletin # 02-103-07 that identifies a factory design related problem with premature clogging of the oil mesh screen located inside the oiling system that supplies the turbo charger on all model turbo charged cars. A clogged screen will result in oil starvation and turbo charger failure. Subaru has reduced their recommended oil drain interval in half, as a solution, from 7,500 miles to 3,750 miles (3-3/4 months) and requires the oil mesh screen to be inspected, and possibly serviced, at every oil change. With this Subaru factory related design issue, AMSOIL INC. therefore must recommend customers follow the new Subaru oil change interval of 3,750 miles or 3-3/4 months until Subaru resolves this issue.

There is some more info about it from amsoil's site.

Dream Evil
post #9 of 34 Old 06-22-2008, 03:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think that Nasioc post pretty much told us how to solve the issue yourself. Pull out the stupid screens, and stop wasting money on changing your oil before it really needs it.
post #10 of 34 Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEvil View Post
Yeah I think thats why my dad was kinda confused he's running aims oil synthetic or w/e on all of our cars and I think that was the article he read he didnt show me he just mentioned it to me since I have a oil change coming up.

Also Lately I think I have been having maybe a bit of a oil leak, My dad thought it was from maybe carbon build up since I rarely take it on the high way to open it up so we put some stuff into a vacum hose that I guess cleans out the intake turbo and exhuast and all the valves and injectors and stuff in case there was carbon build up and this morning it was still puffin alil bit of blueish smoke so after we did that we took it on the high way for a good hour to a hour in a half and when we got it back it stopped puffing im going to let it sit for a few hours and see if it still is doing it.

The oil leak must be really small though because I have had the car for about 4 months or so and have put on like maybe 1.500 miles or something of that nature and I haven't had to like refill the oil it is pretty much full so if I do have a oil leak it has to be very tiny. I have had the exhaust on for about a week but since I do not do such long distance driving on the high way or have not done so since getting the exhaust is there a possibility the exhaust is still smoking?
Sounds like you dad used some Seafoam to do the combustion chamber cleaning.Iswitched from 5w30 to 0w40 and alot of my oil leaks went away.I would try changing to a little heavier weight oil for the next OIC and see what happens.Maybe try 5w40.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #11 of 34 Old 06-22-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
hmm yeah worth a try...This morning was like our final test kinda thing when we originally started up the car a few nights ago a very big puff of blue smoke came out followed by seaping blue smoke as i drove idled or w/e.

Today how ever after doing what he had done we started the car a very tiny puff of blue smoke came out followed by the usual white smoke so if it didn't fix the problem it deff. helped it out alot so I think my dad said we would try another treatment on Tuesday and see if that completly cures it if not then at least its been reduced dramatically and really isn't much to worry about.

Dream Evil
post #12 of 34 Old 06-22-2008, 02:39 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Do a compression test or a leak down test.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #13 of 34 Old 06-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
The problem with extending your oil changes isn't so much if your filter can clean the crap out, you also have to worry about water contamination. Overtime, moisture builds up in your oil. Diluted oil with water isn't a good lubercant.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #14 of 34 Old 06-22-2008, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I wonder if a dealership would take out those oil screens on a 30,000 service. if you asked them.
post #15 of 34 Old 06-22-2008, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I don't give a chit about what they say, I change my oil every 3K..... no if. ands. or buts..... Just do it...... 100+ years of vehicle makers have always said it and I use RP.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement