Subaru WRX Forum banner

Oil around intercooler and turbo tubes

11K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  02wrxrice 
#1 ·
Okay so i was having a little power loss and hesitation so i dove in and took the intercooler off to look at the turbo. Upon removing the intercooler i noticed a bit of oil in the plastic tubing of the intercooler and around the lines that connect to the turbo inlet tube. NOW, i noticed this upon rebuilding last time but figured it was due to blow by and possibly the turbo, is there anyway to confirm whether this is normal or a possible malfunction of the turbo. ANY INFO IS MUCH APPRECIATED :)

and on a side note does anyone have a reference to someone who can rebuild my turbo?

#5 ·
turbo outlet

Y-pipe connector

intake (intercooler disconnected)

do these resemble your situation? these pictures are what I discovered after getting some random puffs of white smoke coming from my hood scoop at a standstill (random as in happening 2 or 3 weeks apart at points in time that were not really related with respect to engine temp, engine operating time, or weather). My mechanic confirmed that the turbo was on its way out, and I was relieved that I did not wait longer to act.

The smear in the first picture is from my finger.

#9 ·
hey guys its been a few weeks now and im finally forced to turn my old turbo into a paper weight. ive been doing research on the sight seeing what most people think of upgrading the turbo and also the uppipe(which i plan on doing both). So i had a few questions before i dig in and open my wallet up...

1. After a little research i have decided i want to increase the hp and tq slightly up to around 275-300 at the wheels so i dont want a huge turbo upgrade. Therefore i have been convinced the td04 turbo would be a good way to go. My question is, at this amount of power will fuel upgrades be necessary(pump, inj) and is this turbo a good upgrade for the amount of power?

2. On top of that i have a new catless up pipe, not sure of the name brand but its 1.25 in inlet from the heads and a 2 inch turbo inlet. I read that putting the egt sensor back in is a bad idea due to it could break and fly into my new turbo so im skeptical on putting it back in the new pipe so any input on that? and are there any other complications on a new catless up pipe?

if so any and all input is greatly appreciated and i hope to get some feedback soon :) thanks guys

#10 ·
current upgrades: catless dp and stock cb, brand new short block as well as fully cleaned and assembled engine with 4500 miles on it. the intake is injen long tube that goes down into the wheel well( which i might fab to make a short ram but still havnt decided) other then that everything is stock and all fluids are new. Also after upgrading turbo i know ill need better brakes so i will be cutting the front rotors and putting upgraded pads on as well as cutting and replacing pads on the rear brakes. If there is anything else i need to know or should know dont hesitate to school me on wrx knowledge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.