nx nitrous question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-06-2003, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
nx nitrous question

Im planning on installing a 75shot of nx nitrous soon, do I need to do any ecu upgrades or reflashes? How risky is it to run nitrous in a WRX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-06-2003, 08:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Are you installing a wet or dry system? I hope and pray the answer is wet. Dry systems are not worth the box they come in.

However, I think you would do better getting a UTEC. You'll get more power, and be a lot safer. A "75 shot" will roughly translate to 50 or 60 hp at the crank, which will translate to 25 or 30 at the wheels. And on top end only. And only for a few seconds. And then you have to refill it.

Or you could get a UTEC, and get the same peak hp increase (or more), plus get a lot of low end power, and have the flexibility to modify your ECU for whatever future mods you may get.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against nitrous oxide. I have run it for years on V8's. But, for a WRX, you're spending more money and getting less with nitrous.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-06-2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
yea if i do go nitrous its definately going to be wet. I would get the utec but im already getting a cobb tuning reflash to work with my mods. So I can install the nitrous safely without any engine management?
post #4 of 17 Old 08-06-2003, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Well, you can, but I just don't see the point. Just remember to only use it a few seconds at a time, and only at full throttle. You might have to upgrade your fuel pump to make sure you can flow enough fuel with the nitrous.

For a good quality wet system, you're looking at around $1400 or so. A UTEC is $950. Like I said, I have nothing against nitrous, but in your case, I don't think you're going to see a $1400 improvement.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-06-2003, 10:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

cadprowrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
A "75 shot" will roughly translate to 50 or 60 hp at the crank, which will translate to 25 or 30 at the wheels.
Not sure about a NX kit on a WRX, but every other kit I've installed and dynoed made the advertised HP rating to the flywheel, and in some cases, even more. (i.e. a "100 h.p." jet made 105-110 additional ponies) NX is the BEST nitrous kit on the market, IMHO!
post #6 of 17 Old 08-07-2003, 02:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

iceman is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to iceman
yeah like cosmo said a UTEC is a safer way to add hp thats there all the time, but if you really want nitrous, you should take a look at the nx ntercooler (thats ntercooler with an n, not intercooler). its only like $300, and it shoots compressed gas (you can use nitrous or co2 or any compressed gas really) straight onto your intercooler for a nice shot of power. i dont think it would fit on a tmic though. just a thought.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-07-2003, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
yes...it will fit the TMIC...
post #8 of 17 Old 08-07-2003, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
will i see similar times with the ntercooler sprayer and nitrous?
post #9 of 17 Old 08-07-2003, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
will anything happen to my car if i install the nitrous? alot of peeps say something like as long as you install it right, whats that about?
post #10 of 17 Old 08-07-2003, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Nothing should happen to your engine if you install the N02 correctly. What they mean about 'that', is that you are tapping into fuel lines and drilling holes, or tapping off at certain places throughout the engine. So long as it is all done right, you shouldn't have any problems just driving around with the set up. Now, as long as your engine is tuned correctly for the use of N02, than you also shouldn't have a problem of using it.

Blue
post #11 of 17 Old 08-07-2003, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

iceman is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to iceman
ntercooler

i think they claim up to 50 more hp, but im not sure exactly how much it adds. it wont make as much power as a wet system, but its a lot cheaper and a lot safer and better for your engine.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-08-2003, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
iceman...

yes the ntercooler can fit a top mount. I'm going with the DEI cryogenic (CO2) intercooler sprayer.

i've been in direct contact with DEI and they sell a specific style sprayer made to fit on a top mount. DEI also makes an air intake and a fuel line cooler.

All three components (air intake, fuel line, and intercooler sprayer) run off the same CO2 system (1 bottle) and the same CO2 line. first through the air intake, then through the fuel line block, then vents out the intercooler sprayer through your intecooler. Mix and match any of the 3 components. The air intake tube has a aerodynamic shaped bulb that runs the liquid CO2 through it (-100F) and the air passing over the bulb gets cooled, then through an aluminum block that freezes and cools fuel as it runs through the frozen block, then of course, out the sprayer holes and freezes your intercooler.

Sure its not Nitrous, but it is much better and safer way to run you engine, will provide HP gains due to a much cooler intake charge and more dense air... And you can set it up real easy with your UTEC or a cheap Hobbs boost switch to spray at any PSI you desire. And include a manual switch and you can even spray it when you sitting at the red light next to a SRT-4 on a 100 degree day... (your sitting there going, "oh crap, i'm in trouble here, my top mount is getting more and more heat soaked the longer i sit here... and this guy in his SRT-4 with his front mount will have an instantly cool intake charge the minute we take off... rats..." or just spray your CO2 at -100F for about 3 seconds and freeze you intercooler and you will have water sprayer effect times 100 right off the line... yeah baby..... !Laugh!

can't wait to get mine! i'll let you all know how it works out... i'm only doing the air intake and intercooler sprayer though, no fuel line block.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-09-2003, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Yeah, I don't think the whole cooling the fuel supply does much anyway. I mean, the fuel is only going to be going through injectors which pretty much atomizes the fuel anyway....

Blue
post #14 of 17 Old 08-09-2003, 10:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx 02t is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wrx 02t
what about dry nit. bad for the wrx?
post #15 of 17 Old 08-10-2003, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
yea i heard the dry kits are bad because you can run lean. The wet systems provide the extra fuel that is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement