now i might want a little extra hp-getting more into it - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

dustin10 is an unknown
now i might want a little extra hp-getting more into it

ok so thinking someone with little tuning experience AP is the way to go, do you guys think so (limited risk) and bang for your buck? Will these more aggressive maps cause more harm to my engine? Im thinking they might but within reason? I will have a 3inch catback, short ram cobb intake, and what else should I do at a limited level to not further damage but get results. I hear the downpipe (catless) is good, also would the uppipe with stock turbo need to be changed as well? If I run a downpipe catless will I pass emissions? How much hp am I looking at from an AP alone? How quick would I be able to change between a more aggressive map and a less aggressive for daily driving? Will this monitor a/f, boost, timing all? Ahhh now you guys got me kind of addicted, so much to learn. I am avoiding CAI (probably wouldnt need to with AP), BOV (probably wont need a recirculating one (dont know details on it-still noob) until after 20 psi boost). I have a friend that would sell me his 4inch larger top mount intercooler for cheap would this do me any good with my relaively low modded set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Okay first and foremost. When was the last time you gave the car a good health check up? If you haven't I'd suggest doing that first. If you have then report back here and I will give you the advice you seek.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 07-15-2012, 12:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

dustin10 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Okay first and foremost. When was the last time you gave the car a good health check up? If you haven't I'd suggest doing that first. If you have then report back here and I will give you the advice you seek.

will do thanks, just need to clarify whats a good health check up? I did a degreas and dye about 2 days ago because when i got my oil changed they said i had an oil leak. Im supposed to go back in after 300 miles. i have a 115k miles did regular oil changes, never ran an extra boost, so HOPEFULLY this is nothing serious. Should I check something else or do some other type of check up? all information is appreciated.
#4 Old 07-15-2012, 04:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Check all fluids for level and color, compression test, timing belt, plugs, belts, hoses and just about anything else since you have that many miles. Do you know if the fuel filter has been changed? I'm not trying to be an azz, but modifying a car that isn't healthy is asking for trouble down the road...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

dustin10 is an unknown
Quote:
Check all fluids for level and color, compression test, timing belt, plugs, belts, hoses and just about anything else since you have that many miles. Do you know if the fuel filter has been changed? I'm not trying to be an azz, but modifying a car that isn't healthy is asking for trouble down the road...

no i appreciate it thats a good point, need to do something like that first before anything serious is done. yeah it was my parents wrx handed it down to me about a month ago. will get on it IMMEDIATELY, but due to working full time and taking 12 hours of LSAT courses, probably will be done in a week or two im thinking. anyway that you could start giving me some of those answers so i can prepare and get a little more educated in the meantime? DP seems necessary but what threshold of hp would require an uppipe, or is an uppipe only needed with a bigger turbo? Just thought of that question too sorry. AP are the most pressing questions I have though, those are in the initial post I belve. Your time and knowledge is very APPRECIATED
#6 Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well first off don't worry about bigger turbos just yet. Start with the basics in this order.
Health check up
Engine management
Turbo back exhaust, this includes up pipe, down pipe, and everything else to the muffler.
This would be what most consider a Stg.2 car. You could add in things like lighten crank pulley and air filter as well, but those aren't completely needed. If you decided to go with more power then you are getting to the point where it starts costing big money and the life of the engine starts to decline rapidly. Ask anyone on here who has build a motor and or spend a boat load in modifications.

As far as the Cobb AP goes, for most it is a great product. Yes there are cheaper alternatives that you can use, but for those that don't have the experience and don't wanna chance it stick with the AP.

Hope this has been of some help if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#7 Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

dustin10 is an unknown
Quote:
Well first off don't worry about bigger turbos just yet. Start with the basics in this order.
Health check up
Engine management
Turbo back exhaust, this includes up pipe, down pipe, and everything else to the muffler.
This would be what most consider a Stg.2 car. You could add in things like lighten crank pulley and air filter as well, but those aren't completely needed. If you decided to go with more power then you are getting to the point where it starts costing big money and the life of the engine starts to decline rapidly. Ask anyone on here who has build a motor and or spend a boat load in modifications.

As far as the Cobb AP goes, for most it is a great product. Yes there are cheaper alternatives that you can use, but for those that don't have the experience and don't wanna chance it stick with the AP.

Hope this has been of some help if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

first off THANKS for the info provided so far, i am definately here to learn

what do you think is a good value and a decent downpipe performance wise, I need catted as I don't have the expertise to change a cat in cat out and need to pass emissions occasionally. anything lower than a cobb in price wise would be awesome. and also with an upipe a good value in your opinion (this cat is not necessary to pass emissions right?). I will be buying an accessport on craigslist soon, or just on a site where I can find it a pretty good price. the ap sounds awesome for a guy like me based on what you said. stage 2 sounds like a good place for me with an older car and less money to spend at the moment. maybe down the road i can push it or i can get a new starter car. what does that lighter crank pulley typically run, and what gains can be seen with it? I have a 2.5inch catback atm, if they will reasonably switch me the 3.0inch tubing since thats what I originally asked for I will have them do it, if not the 2.5inch does not sound like the end of the world. I just like the sound of the 3 inchers I hear on youtube. Also have a cobb sri (guilty for pretty much just doing it for the sound), but sound is honestly something that makes driving a bit more enjoyable.
#8 Old 07-15-2012, 09:35 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If money is an issue look for any year STI up pipe, or 06-07 WRX up pipe as they are catless. The up pipe is changed for safety issues (gets the cat from out in front of your turbo). Many will argue a down pipe is a down pipe. But as long as you get a bellmouth designed one, you should be alright for the most part. Check out the classifieds on NASIOC.com, thats the only thing I use that sight for. Might be able to find someone parting out a car, or switching parts out local to you.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

dustin10 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
If money is an issue look for any year STI up pipe, or 06-07 WRX up pipe as they are catless. The up pipe is changed for safety issues (gets the cat from out in front of your turbo). Many will argue a down pipe is a down pipe. But as long as you get a bellmouth designed one, you should be alright for the most part. Check out the classifieds on NASIOC.com, thats the only thing I use that sight for. Might be able to find someone parting out a car, or switching parts out local to you.

nice, some good places to look
#10 Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

dustin10 is an unknown
Quote:

ok so i plan getting my car into stage 2 now. but first as reccommended i am getting a check up on the overall health of my car to see if it can handle stage 2. would any auto service shop be able to hand a service of this nature or would i need to go to a specific type of place. i printed off the above quote and will ask the guy if he can check what you wrote above. How much should this cost. So currently I have a cobb sri, 2.5inch catback magnaflow would have preferred a 3inch but sales guy talked m out of it. I plan on purchasing the following next at got boost assuming all goes well on the check up for a stage 2 like performance but a bit cheaper. I was thinking invidia catless bellmouth 3inch downpipe ($262) will this hook up to a 2.5inch catback? invidia catless upipe $147, and ap $595. I dont like to buy used as I always get screwed and i dont know enough to know exactly what to look for, plus like the potetial to send back or get better support initially from the company. going this cheaper route am i sacrificing quality and performance. also since downpipe and upipe are catless I will no longer have any cats? or is there another one somewhere else? also do you reccommend ic hoses, and what kind of cost and performance would i get from those? after this i plan on doing a little bit of suspension and brake work to balance the little bit of extra power ill have. how much (i know this is extremely hard to answer just please give me your opinion) will stage 2 take off in terms of life on my car if i run a stage 2 map. as always thanks for all the help. also do you reccommend a different vendor for these types of parts?
#11 Old 07-19-2012, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

dustin10 is an unknown
no one has any thoughts on weighing in on what I wrote above? would really appreciate it!
#12 Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah any shop should be able to handle a basic tune up, just go to one you know you can trust. As far as aftermarket stuff i'd wait until you get a tune up first.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#13 Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

dustin10 is an unknown
was planning on it. had an appointment on wednesday, and a good thing too because the CEL just flipped on, sh*t. at this many miles i dont know if ever going past stage 2 is worth it. maybe in a few years ill just buy a newer sti if i can budget it. regardless of engine work i want to do a bit to the brakes seem plushy, and a little to the suspension. was reading some threads over there saying the rear sway bar and bushings are a good first move.
#14 Old 07-20-2012, 05:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

That would be one of the Oh Sh*t moments I tell people about...Henceforth why you should always set money aside in a slush fund. Well truthfully that isn't a bunch of miles, but I'd go Stg.2 and leave it be. It will provide you with enough power at that point.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...