Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Non removable heads????? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/non-removable-heads-32851/)

black beast2 08-05-2012 12:21 AM

Non removable heads?????

Quick question, has Subaru ever made a motor with heads that can not be removed? Reason I ask is because my cousin needs to replace the head gasket on his late 90's early 2000's leggy wagon and the dealer told him that the heads are bolted on with permanent non removable bolts and that only they can do the gasket. They want like $1300 to do the work. I have never heard of any mass produced motor or any motor for that matter that is built like that. Am I just not in the know or does this exist? It sounds like the dealer is scamming to me, what's next a new flux capacitor, because I just happen to have one at a great price.WTF

brfatal 08-05-2012 12:43 AM

Yes that exists, but I that is NOT the case on his car.

psinuse 08-05-2012 07:08 AM

Other than a rotary I can't think of a motor produced that doesn't have a removable cylinder head. Well turbine engines are another.

jhmason 08-05-2012 10:56 AM

If the head bolts are non removable, how do they plan to get them off? Magic?!? That's dumb, I'd be taking my subbie to a different shop honestly..

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

brfatal 08-05-2012 12:29 PM

[quote=psinuse;283605]Other than a rotary I can't think of a motor produced that doesn't have a removable cylinder head. Well turbine engines are another.[/quote]

There are a handful of old engine designs that used it (I'm talking older than your parents). On a '90s-'00 Legacy the heads are absolutely removable.

psinuse 08-05-2012 12:37 PM

[quote=brfatal;283613]There are a handful of old engine designs that used it (I'm talking older than your parents). On a '90s-'00 Legacy the heads are absolutely removable.[/quote]

This is proof you learn something new everyday...and my parents are in there 60's...

brfatal 08-05-2012 05:38 PM

Google "non-detachable cylinder heads". :)

psinuse 08-05-2012 06:11 PM

Always though Packards used Buick motors?

Hondafan 08-06-2012 09:40 AM

Maybe the dealer is talking about the need to buy new head bolts... They are only supposed to be used once, as they stretch when you torque them. The head is still removable, but you have to buy all the new bolts. I had to get all new bolts when building my motor, and I had asked why it would be necessary, and that's the reason. Nothing is absolutely irremovable. Even if they sheered off the bolts within the block, they could tap out the bolts and get it back together again :-)

Mod Maniac 08-25-2012 10:06 PM

They do tell you that the head bolts are not reuseable but they are reusable. I have reused headbolts on all my subaru head gasket repairs and I have done hundreds.

BigYJ 08-26-2012 09:50 AM

What I was always told you shouldn't re use torque to yield head bolts only. These are the ones where you a get a torque spec and then it says go an extra 45 degrees or so.

If you just have a torque spec without nothing extra, I've been told you can reuse them. But, this wasn't on a Subaru. It was on a Jeep.