No cat? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-17-2006, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

theguy06 is an unknown
No cat?

I have a 05 sti and I was wondering if anyone here has a turbo back with no cat. I found a couple of downpipe set ups with no cats and was very interested in them. I know you can run an o2 extender so you wont through a check engine light, but what I was wondering is if anyone has a no cat setup, and if its ok, and doesn't cause any problem with back pressure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-2006, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
I'm running cat less. Haven't had any problems except noise. Zero back pressure.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2006, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

theguy06 is an unknown
SWEET ALRIGHT THATS WHAT I LIKE TO HERE. Thanks alot man
post #4 of 6 Old 09-18-2006, 12:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
i ran cated TBE, then went catless. i prefer catless, seems boost hits alittle faster, but that could just be me. but it is alittle louder. it smells.... remember that. im running cobb stage 2. and it stinks. i went on a drive with 2 wrx's, all 3 of us running catless, i was the third car in back and omg!!! i had to roll up the windows it stunk soooo bad. so just be ready for that. aguy i know was trying to sell me a catless downpipe because "his girlfriend was sick of the smell". my girlfriend doesnt like it, but she dont care cus she says as long as it is fast and sounds good, who cares.

im not sure about smog and cat requirments in your state, but if a cop is behind you, i strongly sugjest pulling into the first gas station, or where ever to get away so he doesnt smell it. i noticed, i basically smell like an older muscle car, or older truck, just alot of unburned fuel. im hoping new plugs will help burn up that excess fuel and a nice protune i know will help.

MANIC on WRXmoders.com has a protune and catless, he said he has zero smell, thats because he is well tuned. not running rich. just thought i would through in all this jibber jabber, hope it helps
post #5 of 6 Old 09-18-2006, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trek98xc
Catless is the most common route for the folks around here. I havent seen any problems come up deu to not having a cat (aside from codes).

Note: Even though you get the O2 spacer, you may get a code. I personally got one for it simply having a slow response. When I got my Accessport, the code was cleared anyway.

Funny that this comes up though, I am actually having a custom mid-pipe with a high-flow cat installed today.

rob
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

theguy06 is an unknown
This is good news. I have had a few honda cars befor this that were obd2 and didnt have any problems. I was just wondering if it had any bad effect with a turbo and back pressure. I just put the whole turbox's turbo back on my 06 wrx witch takes one cat away and I noticed a huge diffrents in power. Plus I could hear the turbo spool loader. I think im going to run the same set up on my 05 sti but make a test pipe were the second cat is.