no 91 octane! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-13-2003, 11:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

kaoticsp is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to kaoticsp
no 91 octane!

ok, first of all, AZ's highest grade is 91 octane. Now, the whole state of AZ is out of that grade, now the highest is 89. Don't know how long that is for, kinda sucks though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2003, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

EJ20 is an unknown
Wow that's worse than Cali. Hopefully we dont go down to 89, then ima have to buy octane booster, hehe.
#3 Old 08-14-2003, 12:31 AM
tod

tod is an unknown
Actually, I filled up with 91 tonight in the east valley, so there is still a little left. The price has gone up, though. It's only a temporary problem. Once the pipeline break in Tucson is fixed, things will be back to normal.
#4 Old 09-01-2003, 10:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

TKOPerf is an unknown
I'm glad I live in Delaware where I can get 93 everywhere and 94 at Sunocco. There are a few places near marinas and the track where you can get Cam2, but its really expensive.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
#5 Old 09-02-2003, 07:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
The easiest fix is to add a gallon of tolulene to your tank. That will effectively raise the octane of your tankful of gas. Check out http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc...explained.html for a full explaination and mixing ratios.
#6 Old 09-02-2003, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
ok cosmo

did your recommended reading... seems convincing... you tried it in the REX? how do you like it? noticeable... i run 93 currently all the time... gonna try to boost it to 96 with the toluene... excited to see if its a big difference maker...

i'll let ya all know once i've sampled it...
#7 Old 09-02-2003, 11:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I haven't done it in a car. We have been doing it for over 10 years in kart engines with no problems. Of course we rebuild those engines about once a month.
#8 Old 09-03-2003, 09:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

kingb333 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to kingb333 Send a message via Yahoo to kingb333
3 weeks after I bought my Rex, the factory trained mechanic that was doing some tranny work (long explanation) told me to put in 87 octane (the lowest) because I was just wasting my money. I laughed at him and asked him how long he had been a mechanic. He said 3 years for Subaru. I told him he needed to get retrained!
#9 Old 09-04-2003, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well, you might be??

Suppose you drive your WRX the way my wife drives every car she's ever been behind the wheel of...

Shift at or usually bleow 3000 RPM every gear and rarely applies more than 30% of throttle.

87 would likely work just fine in the WRX when driven like that, and arguably, would offset the lost fuel mileage in lower gasoline price paid for 87 vs. 93.

I know, who in the world buys a WRX to shift it blelow 3000 RPM. But maybe this mechanic is a real "driving miss daisy" sort of guy.
#10 Old 09-11-2003, 01:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

visi0nxp is an unknown
attn!!! if any of you are interested and live in so cali. here is a nice treat for many of you...in Burbank Cali. there is a gas station that sells 99 oct...my friend told me about it but i still havent gotten the addresss from him...he runs a supercharger TRD for his solara so he needs that..+ hes got the cash why not? man once i upgrade my turbo to the max...that stuffs going in