newbie with small budget - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
newbie with small budget

i got a small budget , i just picked up a 03 WRX 5spd on tuesday. i love this car, i know the owner of Thermal R&D and hes hookin me up on an exhaust. but what else do i need? My camaro was extremely loud when i did the exhaust then put on a highflow cat. that cat made a big difference, is my wrx going to get anoyyingly loud if i put a hight flow cat on also? what do i need, for now i want a k&n filter, exhaust setup, but i want it from the turbo back, i think thats right. im learning, sorry this was so long, your advice is much apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:27 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
There are a lot of turboback exhausts.... Most decently priced..... I have an 02 and this is the order I would do my mods.
1) Down Pipe/ Up pipe
2) Cat Back exhaust
3) Engine Management.

Thermal is a great company... I've never heard it on a WRX though. You have to decide what you want out of the car.

As for loudness the Borla hush system is very quiet but still deep and throaty.
Others get very loud but truely sound great...
All about taste I guess.. There are lots of threads about exhaust and other's opinins on this.
Good luck and welcome to the family.

edit: I did the up pipe, down pipe and Catback all at the same time.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #3 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
hey welcome to the subaru family.

get a 3" turboback. helix downpipe (first half of the turboback) is the best bang for the buck, it has amazing quality and is about 400 dollars with the highflow cat. and about 229 without the cat at all.
i have a catless wrx with a 3" turboback and its a good loud, not annoying. when i gun it at high rpms and wide open throttle it sounds like a race car. but when i am just cruising around lower rpms it sounds louder than stock but not too loud. and if you had a cat it would be a little quieter than mine but would still hold onto a good sound.

as for a catback, i would suggest a few brands.

very loud:

helix catback
perrin catback
turboxs rfl catback

not too loud:
borla hush catback
crucial racing catback
apexi n1

not loud at all:
blitz nur spec touring edition catback

just to clarify a downpipe is the first half of the exhaust, piping from turbo to about half way back, then the catback connects to the downpipe and goes all the way back eventually becoming the muffler.

you cannot go wrong with any of those setups

and the k&n drop in filter is the best option for intake mods. also a silencer delete with an elbow.

and like said by mr buddha. uppipe/downpipe, engine management, catback.

i would suggest getting an uppipe with the downpipe too, that way you get rid of the cat in the uppipe (uppipe is the pipe that feeds the turbo the exhaust)

uppipe,downpipe,catback, engine management would be a serious gain in power.

although i suggest before doing any power mods, getting really nice tires, and a rear swaybar + endlinks.. not worth having a powerful awd car if it cant handle the power around turns.

happy modding.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
thanks alot for you info, did you notice a big difference? and i need to keep my car smog legal. changing uppipe and downpipe, would that eliminate the cats? and if so, what is everything i need to order other then the catback? gaskets uppipe downpipe, what size, all that would be great. thanks guys, ive always wanted a WRX... ITS FINALLY MINE!!!!
post #5 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:37 PM
WRXpert

Well Eigtht08 just gave you the full version. I was just gonna add to what I wrote but you beat me to it..
Good info.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #6 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
if i go catless what else do i need to buy? any bungs or sensors or anything? gaskets anything like that? or does the downpipe and uppipe come with everything needed?
post #7 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rx
thanks alot for you info, did you notice a big difference? and i need to keep my car smog legal. changing uppipe and downpipe, would that eliminate the cats? and if so, what is everything i need to order other then the catback? gaskets uppipe downpipe, what size, all that would be great. thanks guys, ive always wanted a WRX... ITS FINALLY MINE!!!!
depending on your local emissions testing depends on what you need. Most companies offer a Downpipe with a high flow cat and one witout cats. Either way if you go with a up pipe you need to go catless just for the sake of your turbo if nothing else. You will notice a big difference with a TBE(Turbo back Exhaust) but if you can afford it, get some form of engine managment like Cobb Access Port or ECUtek. Uppipe size is up to the manufacturer(just make sure it is catless) but exhaust size I would go with 3 inch but I think that was already mentioned, as far as gaskets everything I have bought for my TBE came with gaskets.

Did I mention to make sure you buy a catless uppipe?

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #8 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:48 PM
WRXpert

What type of emmissions do you guys run there in Cali? I run no cats at all, but it is illegal to remove any of them. So if they do a visual inspection and you are worried about pass ing the smog, tests the i'd keep the cats. There is not much difference in power with out the cats. Just downpipes with cats are more expensive.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #9 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rx
if i go catless what else do i need to buy? any bungs or sensors or anything? gaskets anything like that? or does the downpipe and uppipe come with everything needed?

the helix catless and catted comes with a check engine light fix. its just an adaptor that you plug into the downpipe with the o2 sensor. it regulates the amount of exhaust the o2 gets to check out.

also if you replace the uppipe you will be catless in that aspect, but should still pass smog, now the downpipe you WILL want the helix catted, as it is the best deal and will allow you to pass smog. without atleast the downpipe being catted you will not pass.

you can get all the gaskets you need from http://www.crucialracing.com for a good price and they are HIGH quality copper gaskets. i suggest copper because they are softer and will form to the turbo/exhaust much nicer than a harder metal.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuddha
What type of emmissions do you guys run there in Cali? I run no cats at all, but it is illegal to remove any of them. So if they do a visual inspection and you are worried about pass ing the smog, tests the i'd keep the cats. There is not much difference in power with out the cats. Just downpipes with cats are more expensive.

there is no power difference if you have a highflow cat on the downpipe vs catless.. like 1-2hp not worth getting busted over 2 hp

and our smog regulations are STRICT AS ALL HELL here

and yeah if you get an uppipe do not replace it with a catted uppipe as you are not changing anything.. the only restriction is the cat. and its a decent restriction being the device that feeds the turbo.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

rgprestige15 is an unknown
While on this topic I figured Id ask this. Is exhaust that comes with the cobb stage 2 a good one? worth the price? Or would it be wiser of me to buy a separate turbo back setup and get the AP separate as well.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 05:27 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgprestige15
While on this topic I figured Id ask this. Is exhaust that comes with the cobb stage 2 a good one? worth the price? Or would it be wiser of me to buy a separate turbo back setup and get the AP separate as well.

Everything from CObb is good. Top notch... Is it worth the price..... There are comparable ones ut there for alot less.
Comes down to taste. and budget. If you got money to burn well COBB it is.
But that's one man's opinion.
AP is always good to have.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #13 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
well thank you guys for all the info, helped alot and probably saved me alot of money. when i had my other car i bought all kinds of stuff, asked questions later, and ended up going through 3 exhausts!!!! do the math. so this time id like to save some change if possible. thanks again
post #14 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
o and where should i order my parts from? im lookin at rallysportdirect.com , id like to save money, every site is different. got any sugjestions on that? o and last but not least, header, wil that change my emissions and will i have a problem of bolts losening and breaking in the heads like i did with my past car? i decided that with this car i wouldnt get a new header, but if there isnt the hassle like ive had before, ill do it.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
the header on the WRX is easy to get to, but unless you have high power output you will lose low end. I have ordered from www.gruppe-s.com and have had awesome service from them. I have ordered some smaller parts fro www.jscspeed.com and they have great customer service as well.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼