New to WRX's - Best way to mod? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-10-2005, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
New to WRX's - Best way to mod?

Okay, I bought a 2004 WRX from a friend for 16k not long ago. Ive been trying to decide which way I want to mod it and how I want it modded. My budget is alittle low now because of the crazy payment and insurance... and gas. . But I want to know some of the best mods I can do for (legally) for my car for a reasonable price. Like, whats a really good catback exhaust that doesnt sound cheesy? I like the Blitz Nur-Spec R, the Greddy EVO2, and the Apexi N1. Also, does anyone have any clips of these exhausts so I can hear them? And it has to be just the exhaust as the only mod so I can hear the true sound of the exhaust, because my car is stock. Some other things I was looking for were a manual boost controller, gauges, and a BOV. I hear the Turbo XS RFL is really loud (hence the name) but Id like to hear it before I buy it. Lets see.. what else. After that Id like to fix up the handling of the car, and maybe lower it alittle. What are some good strut bars, sway bars, and coilovers and such? And wheres the best place to buy them? Does anyone use eBay? haha .
One more question, he installed a short shifter in the car, its short, but its kind of rough, its not smooth shifting into gears, like it gets stuck alittle, is that normal?

Thanks for all your info and help.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2005, 05:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Pretty much any cat-back will sound good on a WRX. It's the design of the engine, not the cat-back that is responsible for most of the sound. No cat-back will make much power though.

Don't get a manual boost controller. They are a very bad idea. If you want power, get a downpipe.

Gauges are not a bad idea, but there really isn't a big need to monitor boost, EGT, and AFR until you have some way to modify it.

I like Cusco sway bars, but Helix and Perrin are nice too. If you want coil overs, the Tanabe Sustec's are a good choice for a street car. They aren't too stiff. Tein's are nice too, but more expensive and stiff.
#3 Old 07-10-2005, 08:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Okay cool, thanks for helping me out. Care to try again? I hear from a few people and you that a downpipe is a good way to make more power, is it legal? I ask only because I hear that people say theres no cats in downpipes or something like that. Or if there is that it isnt powerful? What is a good dp to buy, while still being able to pass emissions with flying colors and creating a lot of power? Thanks again Cosmo. And I know you've answered this before in other topics, but installing a BOV like the TXS RFL will in no way make my car run rich or lean or shitty will it, right?
#4 Old 07-10-2005, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Removing any working cat is illegal. If you want to keep it legal you can only change the cat-back exhaust. However, I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for it. There are 3 cats on a WRX, one in the uppipe, one in the downpipe and 1 in the midpipe. Most aftermarket downpipes replace both the stock downpipe and midpipe. You can get downpipes that have either no cats or one high flow cat. The horsepower lose going from no cats to one high flow cat is going to only be a few horsepower, nothing major. My car is going in to get emissions/inspection in the next few weeks and I am running no cats, but I am confident that I will pass both. I have a resistor in the rear o2 sensor, so I have no CEL and that is what they check for when doing emissions and there is no visual check. I suggest the Helix downpipe, it is very well built and can be bought for a good price. Thats what I have and I have never had an issues with it.

BOV can make your car run shitty if it is not tuned properly. It will make your car run rich for that split second when you are shifting if the BOV is 100% atmoshperic, but it is nothing to worry about IMO. I have a HKS SSQV(which I highly suggest) and have never had any issues with it.
#5 Old 07-10-2005, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Cool, I didnt know most of that. So, Id want to get a downpipe with a cat that would definatley pass emissions and I wouldnt want to get caught with it. Do you have any clips of what your BOV sounds like? Ive been trying to find some but I cant. If I had a nice modded WRX Id make all kinds of vids
#6 Old 07-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I have a Perrin exhaust (both downpipe and catback) Only difference if you don't get a downpipe, it won't be as loud. And I have the HKS SSQV BOV. I've recorded them all at the link below. The only difference in the auto-x vids, it was recorded using a very small digital camera w/ not the best mic in the world. However, the "sound only" vids were recorded using high quality studio equipment. If you have a good sound card and good speakers, it will sound like in person. However if not, you'll lose a lot of bass and it will sound higher pitched than normal (only if you have good ears too) I have a $150 sound card and 2.1 speakers, and they sound nothing like what they sound on my friend's equipment. Best representation I've found none the less.

http://www.jusspress.com/vew

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#7 Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Wow, cool vids. Your car sounds so mean, I love it . Im not even sure if my sound card is good enough for those vids but it still sounds real nice. Does Perrin make a downpipe with a cat in it? And what should I expect to pay if I want a Perrin dp and exhaust? Where did you get yours, and could I install it myself? My brother is a mechanic and he has a lift, or would I need to bring it to someone who installs exhausts?
#8 Old 07-11-2005, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Perrin used to make a catted downpipe, but I don't know if they still do. I know Helix did at one time as well. TurboXS still does, but you have to use their downpipe with their cat-back. It won't work with anything else.

I can install a downpipe and catback in about an hour, start to finish. Without a lift. With a lift, figure 45 minutes. So, anything more than $50 or so to install it is too much.
#9 Old 07-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Yeah, I think Perrin stopped making a DP with cast. Mine is catless, got it from jscspeed.com. You can definatly install it yourself, and even faster since it sounds like your bro knows what he's doing and has a lift. About $1k shipped i'd imagine.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#10 Old 07-12-2005, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
http://store.yahoo.com/ntnsracing/hedowihicatw.html .... Is this a good bet? Cosmo, is this the part you were saying should install in an hour? Do you guys recommend getting the downpipe first, or the catback exhaust?
#11 Old 07-12-2005, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
down pipe. the cat back isnt a must. u'll see more gaines from the DP
#12 Old 07-12-2005, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXforME
http://store.yahoo.com/ntnsracing/hedowihicatw.html .... Is this a good bet? Cosmo, is this the part you were saying should install in an hour? Do you guys recommend getting the downpipe first, or the catback exhaust?
That's the one. I'm not sure about the price, as I haven't compared prices recently.
#13 Old 07-14-2005, 08:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Will the downpipe give me a different sound from the exhaust? Or is that just the purpose of the catback?
#14 Old 07-14-2005, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Ive been looking around for a good deal on a downpipe with a highflow cat and there just arent that many. It would be easier, cheaper, and most likely more powerful if I dont get a cat. If I do this do you guys think I will pass emissions easy? I dont plan on removing the other 2 cats, just getting a cat back exhaust.
#15 Old 07-14-2005, 10:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

03wrxwgn is an unknown
WRxforME, here's a video clip of my car.

Click here....