Subaru WRX Forum banner

New WRX owner, some basic questions

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I purchased a 2002 WRX yesterday and I am looking for some resources and have a few questions.

Okay, the tech guide link doesn't work for me. Is it broken, doesn't exist?

First, the exhaust is loud. I mean, it's sounds good in fact it sounds just like my buddy's 2002 but I'm interested in quieting it down. It's all aftermarket 3" performance stainless, no fiberglass. Are the silencers are good or bad idea and how well do they work? I wouldn't mind having the ability of full sound and given the nice parts would feel bad putting the factory muffler back on. Buying a performance, quieter muffler is not in my budget although I haven't looked at the price of silencers.

The passenger headlight is foggy. Apparently this is common and doesn't affect performance greatly but I would like it to look nice. Does the housing come apart? I would like to polish it because new housings, while not super expensive, are still expensive.

There are some aftermarket motor mods. From a glance, new intake and blow off valve. Also a boost, air/fuel ratio and oil pressure gauge pod on the dash. All is done some what tastefully, so my guess is that the previous owner put some thought into it. I would like to find out tuning specifications but have no idea what's going on. Is there a tutorial for this?

There was no information provided with the vehicle at trade in. I will call the salesman and see if there is a way to contact the previous owner although I'm not sure they will do that.

Is there a standard repair manual for this model? I have always used Haynes. Is there a factory service manual or something more specific for the tuning/high performance aspect? I don't have any intentions (lol) or money to modify this but would like to make sure it's solid and tuned properly.

I will need to replace the timing belt. I am a mechanic and have or have access to most hand tools. Is this something I can reasonably do in my driveway without air tools? Is there any other work that should be done at the same time?

What are good companies to order parts from?

I'm sure everyone's thinking "PICS??? brand of part x?". I will be changing my insurance over and picking it up tomorrow so I will have pictures and models numbers/names tomorrow.

Overall the car is very clean and functions very well. I was surprised not to see any rust in the rear quarter panels and underneath. The paint is in good shape besides the hood which is fading horribly. I am really happy with the purchase because I really wanted AWD. The car pulls great. Especially going from a 98 4 cylinder 5 speed Jeep Cherokee ROFL

See less See more
#3 ·
I wouldn't recommend a silencer, they make cars sound like hondas. And unless you're comfortable with it, I wouldn't change a timing belt yourself, if you get it wrong, you can destroy your motor. That's about all I can answer, not familiar with bugeyes.

As far as aftermarket parts, perrin and cobb make a lot of good products for subarus. Theres also subaruparts.com and subarugenuineparts.com.

Theres also subaru dealerships. I don't know its true for all of them, but the one here in el paso has awesome techs that go out of there way to help you, and do things the right way. One of the biggest tips I can give you is always use the right octane 91-93 and use good high traffic gas stations (I always use shell) A bad tank of gas in these cars can cause a lot of headaches.

#5 ·
The timing belt is definitely a doable job without air tools. I did mine by following this tutorial: Meatys Timing Belt How-To Video (HD) - NASIOC

There are plenty of good write-ups online for almost anything you want to do. Here's a link to Subaru's suggested maintenance schedule: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

As far as your cat back, I'm sure there's somebody who's interested in a loud one. Check on NASIOC and see if anybody with a quieter one is willing to trade. Used cat backs can be purchased for relatively cheap if you find one you really like.

I'll be looking forward to pics and descriptions of your aftermarket goodies - congratulations on your purchase!

#6 · (Edited)
The blow off valve is a perrin unit. Telling by the sound, it's probably not recirculated. Should I recirc it or is it better to leave it as it is? I do like the sound it makes.

Intake is K&N typhoon.

Info is from the pics I took before the test drive. I'll be getting the car tomorrow and can upload detailed photos.

My Subaru buddy is going to help me replace the timing belt. He has a lift, so I'll be able to post pics of the exhaust as well, probably this or next weekend. There was some oil on the bottom of the motor. Not much but it was evident. The tech said that was a sign of the head gasket going bad. I'm not familiar with the boxer engines and with every Jeep I've owned, leaking oil is usually caused by the valve cover gasket, rear main seal, oil pan gasket or the oil pressure ending unit. Because of my experience, I am inclined to believe that the oil leak was not caused by a bad head gasket but maybe something else. Given my lack of experience, I have some doubt regarding my concerns. Oil on the dipstick appeared to be very clean with no sign of milkiness.

While I'm doing the timing belt, how much more work is it to do the head gasket and should it be done any ways?

What else would cause motor oil leaks?

Also, how do I find out if the car was tuned after the modifications were done? My friend said subarus like to be tuned after mods are done. Should I be concerned about hurting any of the motor parts before I find this information out? And are the upgrades listed above done in good taste?

#8 ·
I cross referenced the vehicle service history from the carfax to the recommended maintenance and found out the water pump and timing belt were replaced at 90K in 2008 by a Subaru dealership. Would it still be a good idea to change out the belt and, if not, how long should I wait to replace it?

#9 ·
If it was done then your good till that mileage laps again.(whats your current mileage?)
The BOV should be set to recirc if it can, our cars don't like to blow all the way to atmosphere.(50)/50) is OK)
With the full exhaust and the intake, the car should be running like sh*t without a tune. chances are, is that it has been at least flashed with one. (is your CEL on?)
The Meguires in the white bottle for headlight restore will fix your lenses,ten minutes and done! this problem is usually on the outside. I made my old bug eye JDM's look like new.

I'm waiting for those pics....GL and welcome to the forum!!!

.......................................CHEERS!!!

#10 ·
The current mileage is 138K. Service was performed at 90K in 2008.

The car seems to be running fine, no check engine light. How would you describe running like shit? The idle increases a little when the motor is cold, other than that no noticeable problems.

Thank you for the recommendation for the headlight polish. I will try the outside first. I would also like to remove the orange turn signal condoms, so if it's dirty inside I will do that at the same time. Oh no, it's happening...I told myself I wasn't going to do anything to this. Some one take these tools away from me.

Currently uploading my pics to Flickr.

#14 ·
That discoloration on the hood is crazy...can't think of what would've caused that. There's always somebody selling or trading trunks on NASIOC though so that's not a big deal if its really bad under the spoiler. And def get that cancer taken care of ASAP on the wheel well though and it should stay in remission. Once too far gone it just seems to never stay away. Nice ride though OP

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#15 ·
Thanks guys. Hopefully, I will map the ecu this weekend so I can find out more about what's going on. I have no information regarding how or if this was even tuned.

I have a D34-78 (750CCA) or a D34 (750CCA) Optima Yellow top from my Cherokee that I would like to put in the Subaru. Provided it fits in the tray, will it be safe to use?

#16 ·
Hello and welcome. First and foremost I'd look for a stock BPV on Ebay or something and ditch the current one. It has a WB sensor hooked up so it has been tuned at some point(those things aren't cheap) also find another turbo heat shield and cover that think up...If you need help with tuning just PM me I have nothing better to do at the moment...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.