New turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-16-2008, 06:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
New turbo

After much thought what I think ultimately I've decided to do is buy myself a up pipe for my birthday and save up for a 16g turbo...I was wondering what specifically do I need to do to make this turbo run well a detailed list of what needs to be modded and specific companies who make good quality components would be very helpful!

Remember be very specific with the brand names and what I need exactly because I am completely clueless of what needs to be done and who I should buy from to make this turbo work. Thank you for any and all help you can provide.

Dream Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2008, 08:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blk02wrx
if you serch the site you will find everything you need. there isn't going to be many people responding to this post as it has been asked to death

O2 PEARL BLACK WAGON with some modds
#3 Old 08-17-2008, 09:39 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Before you ask a technical question, read this

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#4 Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

vtec4life is an unknown
Ok well I knew everyone is going to ask you to search instead of give you a better answer, well a 16g on a 2.0 wrx is nice but know with all that low end torque watch out for your transmission, if you go to cobbtuning.com and have an accessport you can see what maps they have dyno proven and go by what they tell you to buy and then flash that map and your done. Then when you save up more do a pro-tune that's what alot of people do around here, with a regular or EVO III 16g you can use an sti TMIC, sti Pinks, and an upgraded walboro fuel pump and a tune and your on your way to more power.
#5 Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jcarv20 is an unknown
Yup what he said plus obviously a turboback exhaust
#6 Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Well im running stage 2 right now so I have a catless dc-sports up/down pipe and cobb catback exhaust plus the cobb stage 2 map...I am starting my new job on monday, So I am hoping by around Christmas time to have saved up a decent bit of money as well as have had gotten some money from relatives for Christmas and the plan from there is as follows:

1st Tranny cooler
2nd Turbo xs TMIC
3rd Fuel pump

Then I am planning to save up for a while longer and hopefully by my birthday, in august, I will have the money to buy the Injectors, The turbo itself and then upload the cobb map for which ever turbo I decide to go with.

I was wondering though do you guys think with the tranny cooler, that if I go with a big evo3 16g that my trans will hold up?? Its a 2003 wrx automatic 64,000 miles on it.

Dream Evil
#7 Old 09-27-2008, 12:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Recommended Setup:

Blouch EVO III 16G Turbo (Port/Polish)
Grimmspeed External Wastegate Up-pipe
Tial 38mm External Wastegate .9 Spring
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump Kit
Deastchwerks 650cc Injectors
Greddy Profec 2 Electronic Boost Controller
Catless Turbo Back Exhaust (Your Choice on Brand)
Engine Management (Cobb Accessport, ECUTEK, or Opensource)

Finally Tuning! Next Time SEARCH!

BTW: Since you mentioned its a 4EAT Transmission. A transmission cooler will help along with a good ATF fluid. I recommend AMSOIL.

IPT Fully Built Transmission will hold best. Most likely you will blow up the stock one if you drive like a maniac. But if your conservative while driving most of the time you should be okay. With that setup I would say the WHP would be close to 290-300WHP at around 19psi or 20psi. I would recommend 19psi however due to the fact of being safe.
#8 Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

awdturb is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awdturb
strider is that your set up? how much hp does that put down?? i like it...
#9 Old 09-27-2008, 12:09 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You don't need an EWG with an E3-16G. Particularly if money is tight, it's a waste

Blouch Turbo Inc. - Our performance turbo upgrades and rebuilds
Forced Performance Turbochargers: Subaru FP EVO3 16g Turbocharger

All you really need is a catless up-pipe, a downpipe, the intake silencer removed (multiple ways to do that), 650cc or larger injectors, a fuel pump, a 3-port BCS and a GOOD TUNE!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 09-27-2008, 01:40 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Exactly what Mosc said. Strider you want to tell someone to SEARCH first maybe you should also, and also read. The OP has a up pipe and full TBE. But hey what do I know.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 09-27-2008, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
3 port bcs whats that? and I heard I will need a diff TMIC??

Dream Evil
#12 Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 PM

Garage
yes, yes, you need the intercooler. I am ashamed I didn't list that.

3 port BCS is a better Boost Control Solenoid for more accurate boost control. It's a mod that requires a tune but if you're going to get it tuned, you might as well do it. They're very cheap and can make your boost curve a lot smoother.

Also, have you discussed with your folks what you'll do if the tranny can't handle all the added power? Not saying you need to upgrade the tranny first, but you should have at least thought about what would happens if you put in a much larger turbo.

#13 Old 09-27-2008, 11:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Well, I kinda ran it past my dad a bit not in huge detail...The thing is I don't know if the likely hood of this happening is very high or not I mean if were talking like a 80% chance here even with the tranny cooler then Most likely I wouldn't do this mod till I have alot more money because from what I am told to get a new trans will cost alot of money.

If that were the case what I would likely do is get a tranny cooler, get the TMIC, and then get a tune because from what I understand the trans could almost deff handle that esp with the tranny cooler. I would assume with that being said I'd have probably a bit of a noticeable gain in performance and would be pretty satisfied till I have enough money that if My trans blows I can get a new one.

I've been told I would see close to 245 whp with my current mods and the TMIC/dyno tune. Which I could deal with if it means my car will run nicely and I can have the peace of mind to not need to worry about my trans 24/7

Dream Evil
#14 Old 09-28-2008, 01:05 AM

Garage
wait, you have an auto? you'll be fine

#15 Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah its auto, I'll be fine?? Ya really think so? Alot of people were telling me I'd probably blow my transmission on nasioc. Well when I still posted there, I find that alot of the people on that site are very rude, Like this one way better.

So then with that 16g set up a TMIC, 255 fuel walboro fuel pump, 650 cc injectors, the 16g turbo its self, tune, tranny cooler would be fine? That I wouldn't see any problems with the trans?

Dream Evil