Subaru WRX Forum banner

New turbo

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  DreamEvil 
#1 ·
After much thought what I think ultimately I've decided to do is buy myself a up pipe for my birthday and save up for a 16g turbo...I was wondering what specifically do I need to do to make this turbo run well a detailed list of what needs to be modded and specific companies who make good quality components would be very helpful!

Remember be very specific with the brand names and what I need exactly because I am completely clueless of what needs to be done and who I should buy from to make this turbo work. Thank you for any and all help you can provide.

#4 ·
Ok well I knew everyone is going to ask you to search instead of give you a better answer, well a 16g on a 2.0 wrx is nice but know with all that low end torque watch out for your transmission, if you go to cobbtuning.com and have an accessport you can see what maps they have dyno proven and go by what they tell you to buy and then flash that map and your done. Then when you save up more do a pro-tune that's what alot of people do around here, with a regular or EVO III 16g you can use an sti TMIC, sti Pinks, and an upgraded walboro fuel pump and a tune and your on your way to more power.

#6 ·
Well im running stage 2 right now so I have a catless dc-sports up/down pipe and cobb catback exhaust plus the cobb stage 2 map...I am starting my new job on monday, So I am hoping by around Christmas time to have saved up a decent bit of money as well as have had gotten some money from relatives for Christmas and the plan from there is as follows:

1st Tranny cooler
2nd Turbo xs TMIC
3rd Fuel pump

Then I am planning to save up for a while longer and hopefully by my birthday, in august, I will have the money to buy the Injectors, The turbo itself and then upload the cobb map for which ever turbo I decide to go with.

I was wondering though do you guys think with the tranny cooler, that if I go with a big evo3 16g that my trans will hold up?? Its a 2003 wrx automatic 64,000 miles on it.

#7 ·
Recommended Setup:

Blouch EVO III 16G Turbo (Port/Polish)
Grimmspeed External Wastegate Up-pipe
Tial 38mm External Wastegate .9 Spring
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump Kit
Deastchwerks 650cc Injectors
Greddy Profec 2 Electronic Boost Controller
Catless Turbo Back Exhaust (Your Choice on Brand)
Engine Management (Cobb Accessport, ECUTEK, or Opensource)

Finally Tuning! Next Time SEARCH!

BTW: Since you mentioned its a 4EAT Transmission. A transmission cooler will help along with a good ATF fluid. I recommend AMSOIL.

IPT Fully Built Transmission will hold best. Most likely you will blow up the stock one if you drive like a maniac. But if your conservative while driving most of the time you should be okay. With that setup I would say the WHP would be close to 290-300WHP at around 19psi or 20psi. I would recommend 19psi however due to the fact of being safe.

#9 ·
#12 ·
yes, yes, you need the intercooler. I am ashamed I didn't list that.

3 port BCS is a better Boost Control Solenoid for more accurate boost control. It's a mod that requires a tune but if you're going to get it tuned, you might as well do it. They're very cheap and can make your boost curve a lot smoother.

Also, have you discussed with your folks what you'll do if the tranny can't handle all the added power? Not saying you need to upgrade the tranny first, but you should have at least thought about what would happens if you put in a much larger turbo.

#13 ·
Well, I kinda ran it past my dad a bit not in huge detail...The thing is I don't know if the likely hood of this happening is very high or not I mean if were talking like a 80% chance here even with the tranny cooler then Most likely I wouldn't do this mod till I have alot more money because from what I am told to get a new trans will cost alot of money.

If that were the case what I would likely do is get a tranny cooler, get the TMIC, and then get a tune because from what I understand the trans could almost deff handle that esp with the tranny cooler. I would assume with that being said I'd have probably a bit of a noticeable gain in performance and would be pretty satisfied till I have enough money that if My trans blows I can get a new one.

I've been told I would see close to 245 whp with my current mods and the TMIC/dyno tune. Which I could deal with if it means my car will run nicely and I can have the peace of mind to not need to worry about my trans 24/7

#15 ·
Yeah its auto, I'll be fine?? Ya really think so? Alot of people were telling me I'd probably blow my transmission on nasioc. Well when I still posted there, I find that alot of the people on that site are very rude, Like this one way better.

So then with that 16g set up a TMIC, 255 fuel walboro fuel pump, 650 cc injectors, the 16g turbo its self, tune, tranny cooler would be fine? That I wouldn't see any problems with the trans?

#18 ·
Especially with a trans cooler, yes. The auto holds more power than the stock 5-speed... a considerable amount more power. Also, you won't be launching with the auto so you're not going to shock load the hell out of it.

#19 ·
Alright sounds good then, Then likely that is my plan going with a evo3 16g turbo...Im probably not going to have the full set up till summer time at the earliest. Don't make to much money when your only 18 and a full time college student lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.