New mod=must be tuned? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 09-20-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

EngelAzreal is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to EngelAzreal
New mod=must be tuned?

Hey guys, I have a few mods on my "to do" list and a Turbo isn't one of them... sorry. Lol.

1. Up pipe.
2. Down pipe.
3. 15psi boost controller system.
4. Front of top mount IC. (I would like a front, just cus I think it looks much better.)
5. Agency Power Main Pulley 1lbs.
6. Lightweight Fly wheel.
7. Full Cusco Sway and Sturt bar set up.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................

The Up pipe, I don't want flex. I can get a custom made DP with high flow and 3" pipe to go with it for $250. Now, for the Up pipe and flywheel, which is the best but not over $250 up pipe, and not over $400 on flywheel... but be very light.

The 15psi controller replaces the stock coppery metal one on the turbo... bad upgrade?

And finally the big question... with a new IC, UP and DP W/C (high flow) would I get to get it tuned... I simply don't have money for it to be put on a Dyno which can run I've heard over $100 an hour, and I have never seen one here in SoCal. Someone skilled... please put some words of wisdom upon me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-20-2006, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
1. Uppipe - Used STi (ebay) Less than $100. I saw Bosal in another thread for around $189.
2. Downpipe - http://cgi.ebay.com/Helix-Catted-v2-...QQcmdZViewItem
3. Boost control - Get EM for this.
4. FMIC/TMIC - What do you want, looks or performance?
5. Pulley - Go with the Cobb or Perrin.
6. Flywheels - Check out http://www.advancedclutch.com/.
7. Strutbars - Not needed. Sways and endlinks though, Cusco is a good way to go. Expensive, but good.

Everything you asked about here you can find on ebay, there are alot of good deals on there.

Finally, do you need to get tuned? If you want the most out of your mods, you need to get tuned.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #3 of 30 Old 09-20-2006, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
First you need engine management, add the DP and cat back, then a uppipe. Stay away from the boost controller and front mount till you can get a tune. Even with the tune the front mount will add lag, stick with a TMIC for better performance on the stock turbo. Also the lighten flywheel is know to cause CEL on the 02. The pulley is fine as long as it not under driven.
I would do a search on Cobb stage 2. It is a very nice upgrade over stock.
The Cusco stuff will be fine. If you are still on the RE92, get rid of them.

PS. The coppery metal is the waste gate actuator.
post #4 of 30 Old 09-20-2006, 06:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfartracer
If you are still on the RE92, get rid of them.
Yes, very true. I've noticed alot better handling from just upgrading rubber.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #5 of 30 Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hmmm... I see. Sooo say I do throw on a DP and a UP. I'll be ok nothing bad, but won't get the full effect unless I go and get it tuned. Also... Whats the gas mileage on the Cobb stage two, cus I only have 91oct $3.09/gal here where I live for miles around. I do have a 100oct pump up north a little, but I'm not paying $7.00 a gallon.... Meh. On the subject, I'm on the budget side of gas at the moment... So the UP and DP shouldn't cause any problems with the cars comp, like more making it run rich, as in forcing more fuel in, or just the same... but a little more umph in sound and performance.

Garage Tuning 2.2 + TD05H-20G = WAAAAHOOOO!!!
Dani
post #6 of 30 Old 09-20-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

OH and goal for my car is to have power, but not to sacrifice my mpg. I run with my buddy and his friends up in the Ortega hills. Cook's Bar. They do the drifting, and I do the rally, might get my tires to slide a little and screech out a little. My goal is to have around 265 hp, and not guzzle gas down, but keep the mpg near the same. I'd say more, but I can't afford a big turbo and a new engine if it goes boom... In my car team, I'm the only AWD right now and my buddy , the leader has a BMW 318ti with some mods.

Dani
post #7 of 30 Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
Stage 3 wrx here, 34 mpg highway. More power gives you better gas milage.
post #8 of 30 Old 09-20-2006, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
I would not add the up and down pipe to you have EM. You don't need tuned you will run an OTS map. My stage 2 with a tune get 22mpg. If you worried about mpg don't mod.
You could put your money into coilover,swaybars,brakes,wheels and tires. This have running up front. Also take time to learn to drive the car,then add the HP.
Most stock turboed wrx will get around 220-240 whp. The best I have seen is 250whp.
here is a link with lots of info http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787
post #9 of 30 Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

... what the hell????? So confused. Wouldn't it be the other way around. The more mods, bigger turbo, fast fuel pump, and tuned for higher HP means using more fuel to use to create the power when pressing down the the gas... right? *Scratches head and is utterly confused*

Dani
post #10 of 30 Old 09-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
You're making your vehicle run more efficently. With turboback, you're freeing up backpressure. More power, better gas milage. With a larger turbo, it takes less 'work' to generate more power. Also leads to better gas milage. (all this is assuming with a proper tune). What doesn't get you better gas milage is your smiling face when your lead foot hits the floor.. and it will happen a lot.

Basically, yes, you have more horsepower, but to get the better MPG, your goal is not to use it and drive like a granny. It takes less energy to get to the same power to drive the car. I hope that makes sense. I'll try to explain better if it does not.

There are of course cases to this where it will not apply (ex: larger displacement from a new block)

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #11 of 30 Old 09-21-2006, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hmmmm, that actually does make since. Since your freeing up back pressure and say having the right cold spark, and proper tune, I could have say a 260hp car, but getting better gas mileage just because the car isn't working as hard anymore to supply more gas for the hp. Soo from a car with 20/25mpg, with some like mxboy15u, would be getting say... 28/34mpg. I don't even think I hit 300 miles when I drive my car. A lot of city driving. Working two part time jobs, for right now.

Dani
post #12 of 30 Old 09-21-2006, 04:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
500 hp corvettes can hit over 30 on the highway. Its all about making the engine work less to produce the same speed.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-21-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

And say the mods I'm wanting to do, and a tune, will do that for my car. Pretty much that?

Dani
post #14 of 30 Old 09-21-2006, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
Also if you go with a Cobb AP for your EM you can switch between economy for daily highway driving and then swap over to Stage 2 and have fun.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #15 of 30 Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
I would not run that economy map...I saw negative gas milage increase, and a smoked turbo from a 10 hour nc-ct trip. Better to just run the upped hp map, and use the cars new efficiancy to baby it to better gas milage.