New Here. Doing some mods and a clutch, emmissions questions. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

scooby1220 is an unknown
New Here. Doing some mods and a clutch, emmissions questions.

Hey I'm new here and just gettin around to modding my WRX. She's an '04 and all stock as of right now. Well my clutch is shot and since I'm doin' a new one I want to make it worth my while and do some mods. Here's what I was looking at: A helix up-pipe and downpipe complimented by a Cobb Stage II Accessport map. Now the questions, i s Helix a good brand, I notice their cheap but is it at the expense of quality? Also, I will be ordering the DP without the cats and was wondering if I would pass emmisons. In NY, disregarding the visual inspection, will she pass the OBDII plug in test being that CEL's are defeated? COBB wouldn't formally comment on this isssue and I know no one can guarantee it, but am I most likely to pass. Oh, also I am doing a ACT streetdisc clutch and streetlite (13.1lb) flywheel. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch guys!

Last edited by scooby1220; 06-21-2006 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2006, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I can't comment on anything but the quality of Helix. I have a Helix downpipe and it works great. No fitment issues and it was of good quality. I will leave the rest to the more knowledgablepeople here.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#3 Old 06-21-2006, 11:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Ummm.. Save up about $2k to fix your transmission if you install that clutch.

Trust me, I had the ACT street/strip clutch installed. 350 miles on the clutch, really the first time getting hard on it, broke my 2nd gear. $1,650 just in the gearset, syncrhos, etc. Just go with the stock clutch, it'lll save you a lot of headaches.
#4 Old 06-21-2006, 11:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

scooby1220 is an unknown
Wow! How many miles were on your trans fast_dak?
#5 Old 06-21-2006, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

j429b is an unknown
Helix makes a good uppipe and downpipe, especially for the money. The cobb accessport is also good, and stage II makes the car a lot more fun. I am not sure of NY's laws but I don't have cats either and I live in PA and I found someone to pass me, I am sure you will be able to find someone who will pass you. I don't know about the act street clutch it puts a lot more strain on the transmission, than the stock one does I wouldn't do it because the stock clutch is fine for stage 2. I hear the flywheels are pretty good and I am thinking about putting one on my car.
#6 Old 06-22-2006, 10:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby1220
Wow! How many miles were on your trans fast_dak?
62,000 miles
#7 Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
sounds like you're going down the right path here scooby1220, but avoid flywheel/clutch replacements. If you put too light a flywheel on, you're not going to be happy. The TD04 is a tiny little turbo which doesn't really need help to get into revs. A lighter flywheel with a stock setup mostly just decreases bottom end response with no gains.

and as fastdak said, stock tranny? Get a stock clutch. I told him that too but he wouldn't listen :P
#8 Old 06-22-2006, 12:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to six3jag
So I always say this but for tenth time...
GET A FAST FLOW CAT! do the enviroment a favor. It wont cost much more nor will it make you lose more than 5hp tops, and you should be able to pass a pipe sniffer if you are tuned right.
As for helix it is a great brand at a good price. Their pipes are very nice and fit well.

Jacob
Almost clean wrx...
#9 Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc
and as fastdak said, stock tranny? Get a stock clutch. I told him that too but he wouldn't listen :P
I didn't listen cause you made the suggestion of stock clutch AFTER I had the ACT clutch installed Only response I could get at that time is don't go with the Stage 3 clutch, 6 puck, etc, etc. From what I HAD found, was that an Organic clutch should break before the gears do. The ACT Steet/strip clutch is organic, so I decided to go that way. Also, I did read that ACT clutches were known as trannie killers, but again, which ones? The 6 puck? All of them including the organic? That statement can be a blanket like, don't buy a Dodge becaue Dodge's are cheaply made.. But there are some very very good Dodges, but the Neons, etc are junk (sorry, that isn't including SRT-4.. oh wait, SRT-4 isn't a neon.. or is it.. uhh.. anyway). I only went with the ACT because it was slightly cheaper, faster to get, and less of a hassle to get. Ahhh well, it's more of a hassle now ain't it.. !Laugh!
#10 Old 06-22-2006, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

scooby1220 is an unknown
Thanks alot guys, looks like I'll be getting a stock clutch. When I called my dealer they said the stock flywheel can't be resurfaced and would need a new one, is this correct? Also the guy said he needed the VIN# which I didn't have on me at the time but he said for the whole nine yards it would be $600-700, does that sound right? One last thing, being that I'm new here I don't know how to give you guys "positive reputation points," can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for all your help,
scooby1220.
#11 Old 06-22-2006, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Click on the scales down by the person that you want to give them to's online status.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#12 Old 06-22-2006, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby1220
Thanks alot guys, looks like I'll be getting a stock clutch. When I called my dealer they said the stock flywheel can't be resurfaced and would need a new one, is this correct? Also the guy said he needed the VIN# which I didn't have on me at the time but he said for the whole nine yards it would be $600-700, does that sound right? One last thing, being that I'm new here I don't know how to give you guys "positive reputation points," can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for all your help,
scooby1220.
On the flywheel, if it has stress cracks, you'll have to get a new one. That's not a bad price for just he parts. On mine, the clutch parts were like $550 (was getting a price check), then the flywheel was $280 w/tax. So, that's right in the ball-park. I know the vin # is needed for 03 years because they changed gearsets mid-year or something, not sure about other years.

As far as reputation goes, when looking at the thread, look to the left where you see the users name, where it says offline/online, and there's a thing there that's like a piece of crumpled paper.. click on that. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out here :-)
#13 Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

scooby1220 is an unknown
Hey guys, just lettin' everyone know I ordered a Helix V3 DP, just released, a Cobb AP on back order till mid-July, a Kartboy short-shifter and a Perrin foam filter (drop-in). I have an up-pipe here that looks to be Helix also that the dealer took out of my car when I bought it used but they gave it to me for future use and also a Apex cat-back. I should have most of the parts by next Friday so I'll keep everyone posted and let everyone know how the new version of the Helix DP works and fits. Also, the clutch isn't slipping at all so I'm not gonna be in a rush to do it but I am setting aside the money, if any comes across some good clutch install instructions please send 'em on over, I'll be doing with a friend who is a cert. mechanic. Thanks for all the help, scooby1220.
#14 Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

scooby1220 is an unknown
Just did my UP/DP and cat-back today, it took like 4hrs or so. Only drove about four miles. It seemed slow at first but seems to be coming to life now, I will get it out some more tommorow. Everything went in good with no problems. The Helix products have really nice fitment. I don't know how everyone does their up pipe install but instead of lowering the exhaust manifold I just popped off the engine mount bolt and jacked it up and slid it out the top while lifting the turbo, seemed much easier plus there are no extra gaskets to risk tearing. Thanks for everyone's help, scooby1220.
#15 Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
I love my Helix.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...