Subaru WRX Forum banner

New Exhaust, need a tune?

4K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  brfatal 
#1 ·
Hey i just got my new engine rebuilt with a new short block and in the process i put new cams and new exhaust on. the exhaust is just individual tubes and nothing special, i dont even know what brand name it is. So my question is does it absolutly need a tune?

#5 ·
Crower or Brian Crower? The latter has had a lot of issues over the years that could lead to major problems with your engine.

Larger cams with a stock turbo was not the best course of action. I wouldn't even have bothered with cams on any turbo small enough to trust on the stock block. It will do nothing but hurt your power band since these will hurt your low end and your stock turbo does not flow very well up top, where the cams would have been beneficial.

#7 ·
What turbo did you have in mind? Like I said, nothing you can run on a stock EJ205 will see any good out of those cams. Couple that with the fact that you always hear about BC's cams cracking or having centering issues. I know how unlikely you are to follow the advice, but my honest recommendation is to reinstall the stock cams before you start the motor.

#8 ·
i didnt want to throw a huge turbo on it due to the fact that its a dd right now but i would like to throw something, possibly ball bearing on it to improve flow and effeciency. but i replaced them due to the fact that i broke a thrust washer on the left intake cam on removal i could always go in an replace them down the road if there is a problem with them. but reguardless of the cams i still have yet to have an answer to my initial question of tuning. anything to help i appreciate thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.