New Exhaust help? 02 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

roran is an unknown
New Exhaust help? 02

Alright first off thanks for your help to any and all of you who take the time to respond to this question i recently received my new exhaust system after about a month 0.o . and i was talking to my buddy and he says that doing the exhaust on a turbo is way different then on a non-turbo engine i bought a full system and i have read that i should expect some rusted bolts and i should have some PB ready. i have changed the exhaust on some non-turbo cars when i was running with some of my buddies who loved american muscle(namely Mustangs(i still run with them i just got into rally too) and it wasn't too bad

but my real question is (if you don't care enough to read that paragraph up there)
Is it any harder putting a whole exhaust system on a turbo charged WRX than on a non-turbo Mustang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Nope.
#3 Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Define whole exhaust. Turbo back or full exhaust, including header,and uppipe. If the uppipe is included get ready for some time under your car. Not a fun install. Now a catback or even a turbo back is pretty easy.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#4 Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I have to agree with both gentlemen depending on what you call a full exhaust.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

yelljack is more helpful than not
It isn't too difficult, growing up I learn a little bit on late 70s and early 80s American muscle. I have over the years replaced uppipe, down pipe and catback on three different subies (02 and 03 WRXs and a 05 STi), my car is on it's 3rd downpipe and catback, including stock.

There is less room to work with on a WRX than say an 84 Mustang, but there are tricks you learn along the way, pick the brains of the folks on this site and checkout scoobiemods.com

If you are going to be working on the exhaust of a turbo buy 6 point combo wrenches, and letting PB soak into the bolts for an hour helps. Once it is ready to be put back together use anti-seize, just in case. What I just told you, you probably already know...but those were things I didn't know and wished I had before my first time working on a WRX

Eric
#6 Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

atech34 is an unknown
I am actually in the same boat right now not to thread jack you or anything, but I just got the final piece to my exhaust system and by full I mean header up pipe turbo back full, now my question right now is, can I install this system even though I won't be getting tuned for a couple more weeks?

Can I install it reset the ecu and have no major drawbacks? I know that with the highflow DP added the turbo will boost faster does this effect the engine so bad that I should wait? I drive like a grandma and am old enough to be patient with playing around with the new rumble.
#7 Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

yelljack is more helpful than not
atech, you will get O2 CEL codes but that should be it

Eric
#8 Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

atech34 is an unknown
I actually didn't have a CEL prior to getting it tuned could just be the specific setup I am using though.