New 05 Wrx Mods? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Dylan1787 is an unknown
Garage
New 05 Wrx Mods?

Bought my 05 wrx about a week and a half ago car has previously installed TBE (prodrive) and has been lowered on some after market springs not sure of the manu. exactly, Definietly lookin to improve the performance on the car I know the AWD turbo will scream with the right good. my question is what is the next step for me? was thinkin about the COBB AP stage 2? any thoughts on that or maybe what I should do different any imput would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

KCsubikid is an unknown
Is the TBE still on the car? and if so, is it tuned for it? Because if not then you will want to do that ASAP.
The AP is a great tool, not only for a little extra power, but also to monitor your car.
Next I was say to get a catless UP, it will be safer because you remove the cat in the UP, and it will give you slightly quicker spool.
Good luck! Blobeyes are the shizzzzz

-Jason-
Protuned 4EAT- Helix DP, Grimmspeed CC UP, Grimmspeed EBCS, SPT CBE
#3 Old 02-01-2011, 01:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Dylan1787 is an unknown
Garage
Yeah the TBE is still on the car, as far is it being tuned for the car im not sure about that. So the AP is a good buy then? and the catless UP was next on the list..on another note the exhaust isn't loud at all almost like factory and it has a full exhaust, any idea why?

Dylan
05 WRX - Beast Mode
#4 Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If its a prodrive exhaust, its similar to the Cobb and Perrin, looks like stock and is just slightly louder than stock (which to me is a good thing) I run a full Cobb TBE and its not much louder than stock at idle, and doesnt get loud until Im deep into the RPMs. I run a Cobb AP and Im tuned with a 20G turbo and supporting mods. So even if you plan to go past stg2 the AP is a great tool. I regular use mine for monitoring my boost and a couple other parameters that it holds, plus it has the ability to check for engine codes, other modes like valet and what not. Its a great tool and worth the money IMHO, and with your car its pretty easy to find a used one for cheap, just be SURE to make sure the AP is unmarried formt he previous car or you will have issues.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1787 View Post
Bought my 05 wrx about a week and a half ago car has previously installed TBE (prodrive) and has been lowered on some after market springs not sure of the manu. exactly, Definietly lookin to improve the performance on the car I know the AWD turbo will scream with the right good. my question is what is the next step for me? was thinkin about the COBB AP stage 2? any thoughts on that or maybe what I should do different any imput would greatly be appreciated.
Yes I would definitely get the AP stage 2. I believe you can buy the AP (used) from Cobb. This is sure fire way to know you are getting an unmarried AP. Price may be a little higher then buying one from someone but at least you know what you are getting. I would also take a look at your "spring" set-up. Maybe moving to coilovers would be a get move for your performance and handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
If its a prodrive exhaust, its similar to the Cobb and Perrin, looks like stock and is just slightly louder than stock (which to me is a good thing) I run a full Cobb TBE and its not much louder than stock at idle, and doesnt get loud until Im deep into the RPMs. I run a Cobb AP and Im tuned with a 20G turbo and supporting mods. So even if you plan to go past stg2 the AP is a great tool. I regular use mine for monitoring my boost and a couple other parameters that it holds, plus it has the ability to check for engine codes, other modes like valet and what not. Its a great tool and worth the money IMHO, and with your car its pretty easy to find a used one for cheap, just be SURE to make sure the AP is unmarried formt he previous car or you will have issues.
I agree with you on the fact that it is a great tool. I use my almost daily. I wish someone could make a mold of it and then have a mounting unit that you can slip it in and out of. Something that you could permanently place in the vehicle.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
#6 Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie View Post
I agree with you on the fact that it is a great tool. I use my almost daily. I wish someone could make a mold of it and then have a mounting unit that you can slip it in and out of. Something that you could permanently place in the vehicle.
I got a cell phone holder (from Best Buy) that has adjustable sides on it. Clipped it to my center vent, and it now holds the AP. I )just ran the wire down the seam of my center console, and then up underneat my steering column. I dont have a pic on this computer, nor am I anywhere near my car, I will see if they wife can find anything to show it.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Dylan1787 is an unknown
Garage
yeah its prodrive im sure of that, and im just used to my car being somewhat loud had a mustang and it would scream wide open could I possibly change part of the exhaust and maybe make a lil louder without losing power? But im definietly gonna order the AP in the next few days..any advantage to gettin one new over used havnt really seen any used..but if i could get the exact same thing for a couple hundred cheaper that'd be great.

Dylan
05 WRX - Beast Mode
#8 Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

KCsubikid is an unknown
There is no downside to getting one used, as long as you are sure it is unmarried and has all the necessary components. Anytime Cobb updates their software, it can just be downloaded from their website right to your computer and AP. I bought mine used and did this and I have had no problems with it. Plus if you plan to go past the basic stage 2, they have maps for different setups, or you can even get a protune with it at most places.

Sidenote: I would drive carefully if you aren't sure if it is tuned, or talk to the previous owner and see.

-Jason-
Protuned 4EAT- Helix DP, Grimmspeed CC UP, Grimmspeed EBCS, SPT CBE
#9 Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 PM

If you know it has a DP, check to see what type/style the end is that connects to the CBE (cat back), then just get you a different cat back for the car. Thats your basic noise maker on these cars.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Combat Wombat is an unknown
Hey Dylan, I also have a 2005 WRX. I started with some pretty simple things that made it a lot of fun, then just recently took it a bit further to make it pretty damn fast too

The first mods were:
Complete exhaust with ported headers, catless uppipe, catless downpipe, wide open 3" all the way back. I dont have any cats, (still legal in Nebraska) or a muffler. I did a port and polish on the stock turbo, put some samco intercooler hoses which are smoother and make for a little bit quicker spool, and dropped in a K&N panel filter. I still use the Cobb accessport, and I used their standard 91 octane stage 2 map. The result at that point was a really quick spooling turbo with a mid range torque curve, but I noticed it let up just a bit above 5750rpm or so. Still, a VERY fun car to drive. Logged a 0-60 in 5.2sec on a hard launch.

Recent mods include the vf39 turbo from the STI, also ported and polished, STI intercooler, and 600cc injectors. The bigger turbo should in theory have more lag, but the PnP, along with the bigger intercooler, pretty much eliminate that. I have also swapped the flywheel for about a half-weight one, and a heavier duty clutch, both by ACT. The lighter flywheel really helps all around response. Don't go too light though, like race-spec or whatever, as it will be way less friendly to drive. I still use the COBB map, but it is different for the bigger turbo and injectors, and has some issues that I still need to fine tune out of it. The result here is still a very quick spooling turbo, maybe just a hair slower but not so you'd notice, but it doesnt drop off at the top end, just keeps on pushing all the way to redline.

Cost of parts for the first stage:
Didnt have to buy anything for the PnP on the stock turbo. Just a dremel, and I had my mechanic do it because he has experience.
The full exhaust (catless u/p, catless d/p and straight pipe to the rear) probably cost about $300 (generic parts from Ebay, makes no difference w/ just straight pipes)
K&N filter was about $50
The AccessPort will cost whatever you can find one for.

Not very expensive, very fun, reliable, and still very driveable. Smaller diameter (but not TOO small) uppipe helps too, keeps exhaust gas velocity high as it gets to the turbo.

Next stage of upgrades:
vf39 turbo i got for $400
STI intercooler was $240
600cc injectors were $190

With whatever labor, unless you can do all of this on your own.

Still pretty affordable, Quite a bit faster car, still very reliable/driveable. A little bit loud in my case, but not nearly as loud as some, bearable.

Anyone else, feel free to throw in anything I've forgotten, and I will do my best to respond.
Hope it helps, feel free to email or PM any questions you have.
#11 Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Prodrive doesn't make TBEs.

And if there is a full exhaust on it, you better as hell hope it's currently tuned.
#12 Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hargak is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1787 View Post
Been hard pressed to find WRX's in Wichita Falls myself.

Hit me up I'd like to help you out I do alot of the tuning myself. It's alot more fun when you can compare a couple and the mods you got.