New '03 WRX and some more power.... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-08-2003, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TPhalen is an unknown
New '03 WRX and some more power....

Hi all. I'm in the market for a new car and the '03 WRX is on the top of my list. I just totaled my '99 1.8T Passat (with lots of go-fast goodies) and would love to get another one, but the WRX has a better platform with which to modify, ie AWD and a 227hp turbo motor.

My questions are:

1) Some good sites where I can see turbo upgrades. I'd like to see dyno numbers, costs, what the kits include, and possibly comparisions. Price isn't really an issue (gotta love insurance money!), but the more inexpensive, the better.

2) Any helpful tips and/or ideas/experiences would also be great.

3) Any problems in California in regards to removing the uppipe/downpipe cats for straight pipes. I understand the car has 3 cats so what are everyone's experiences with removing two and keeping the one under the car (but replacing with a hi-flow, of course).

Any help would be great!!!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-08-2003, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

WagonRex is an unknown
Given that you shouldn't have to show up at an emissions station for about 4 years , cat removal shouldn't be a problem.
Unless Cali' makes it a habit of E-testing even brand-new cars , I'd simply remove and save the stock exhaust system and have fun with an aftermarket one for a while.........
post #3 of 9 Old 02-09-2003, 10:18 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The WRX is a very good platform to build a quick car. It responds very well to exhaust upgrades, particularily replacing the uppipe (pre turbo) and downpipe (post) w/ catless ones. These two pieces will add in the neighborhood of 25 hp/ ft lbs, reduce egts and spool your turbo about 3-400 rpms quicker. Add a straight through muffler and you can add another 10hp. A few silicone pieces- Y pipe on the intercooler and the turbo inlet pipe will net you another 10 or so. These above mods are safe and actually improve reliability.

The newest and maybe best thing to hit the WRX scene is the Ecutek reflash- you retain your oe ecu, but reflashed to take advantage of better mapping. This will safely add another 30 or so hp, w/ a very smooth power delivery. You've now got a car that is making 300 or so horse at the crank (w/ about the same torque- spread very flatly across) that is spooling very quickly w/ the stock TD04. Your also at the point where increases from here- one needs to contemplate longevity of the drive train.

That's but one way of going, there are many others.

Big Sky
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2003, 07:07 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Yup, four years is plenty of time to play around. The only negative with the exhaust is I get a CEL about once a week. There's some fix for it, I've just been too lazy to get it done

-Gerlando.
<a href=http://www.script-install.com>Script-Install.com</a> | <a href=http://www.enjoychuck.com>EnjoyChuck</a>
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2003, 07:08 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Sky

The newest and maybe best thing to hit the WRX scene is the Ecutek reflash- you retain your oe ecu, but reflashed to take advantage of better mapping. This will safely add another 30 or so hp, w/ a very smooth power delivery. You've now got a car that is making 300 or so horse at the crank (w/ about the same torque- spread very flatly across) that is spooling very quickly w/ the stock TD04.
Hey, where can I find out more about this reflashing stuff?

-Gerlando.
<a href=http://www.script-install.com>Script-Install.com</a> | <a href=http://www.enjoychuck.com>EnjoyChuck</a>
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2003, 09:52 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Try ecutek.com, they explain the system pretty well. Authorized dealers in the US are Vishnu, Rallyperformance, four or five others.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2003, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TPhalen is an unknown
Well, I've pretty much decided on the TurboXS Stage II setup. This will keep the factory turbo and (hopefully) will keep the dealer happy should I need to service it.

Looking into a different intake and possibly a FMIC. Would like to go with a TMIC but I LOVE the look of one up front.

Thanks for the info so far!
post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2003, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

WagonRex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerlando
Yup, four years is plenty of time to play around. The only negative with the exhaust is I get a CEL about once a week. There's some fix for it, I've just been too lazy to get it done
Thats a common problem on DSM's also......Its caused by the second O2 sensor behind the (now nonfunctional) lower cat. There is an O2 sensor simulator on the market , or one can be built fairly easily
post #9 of 9 Old 02-11-2003, 08:41 PM
WRXpert

Another benefit of the reflash, they can "tune" the cat inefficiency cel out. No more pesky cels. Ofcourse there are a couple of resistor fixes on the market as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement