need turbo HELP - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

txsc2216 is an unknown
need turbo HELP

i have a 2005 wrx wagon, only mods right now are cat back exhaust, cobb intake, and cobb accessport. looking to put in a vf turbo and wondering what anyone would suggest i upgrade with it and also what vf turbo i should use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The VF39 is a popular choice due to availability. CobbTuning.com actually lists several VF39 maps which you could download and use for your car, but be extremely careful to follow the map notes exactly. Pay particular attention to the gas Octane (91 vs. 93) and download the map specific to what you have available in your area.

If you choose to download an off-the-shelf AP map, in addition to your AccessPORT, cat back, and Cobb SF intake, you'll also need:

- aftermarket downpipe (map notes call for one with a high flow catalytic converter)
- STi Pink 565 cc injectors
- an STi (or equivalent) TMIC
- and obviously a VF39 turbo

Personally, I would recommend getting a professional tune because you could also consider purchasing and installing additional parts such as a 3 port electronic boost control solenoid, larger fuel pump, and possibly some other parts which are commonly added at this point. Any off-the-shelf map will be on the conservative side since they're made to work for all cars and might leave a bit to be desired. Only a professional tuner will be able to tweak the settings of your specific car to safely maximize power which is what most people want.

* Note: You'll also want to invest in a catless up pipe and I'm not sure whether or not that will be compatible with the AP maps. Getting a catless up pipe is a safety mod for all pre-2006 WRXs since the stock up pipes have a catalytic converter. Modifications and age can cause bits of the catalytic converter to break apart and cause potentially expensive damage.

** Another note: Make sure all maintenance is up to date before modifying anything. See this link for factory recommended maintenance: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru...000Maintenance

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 05:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You're not even stage 2. You might want to give that a try 1st before tossing on another over 100 whp. You need to do suspension and brakes as well for a turbo upgrade. No sense in making it fast if you can't stop or turn.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

txsc2216 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
You're not even stage 2. You might want to give that a try 1st before tossing on another over 100 whp. You need to do suspension and brakes as well for a turbo upgrade. No sense in making it fast if you can't stop or turn.
i am stage 2 i just got my downpipe and i also have upgraded brake pads and have a rear strut tower brace and new coilovers will be coming soon. would you recommend sway bars or coilovers?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 07:29 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Sway bars will make a better improvement over coilovers (as Im sure you didnt get a quality set, no offense intended).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsc2216 View Post
i am stage 2 i just got my downpipe and i also have upgraded brake pads and have a rear strut tower brace and new coilovers will be coming soon. would you recommend sway bars or coilovers?
Sways and coils are not comparable parts. If you're not racing competitively on a regular basis and willing to spend $1,600 or more on something decent then coilovers are not for you. So I guess sway bars.

You need an up-pipe too, desperately.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Tires, what kind of tires do you have...Man I need to finish that post of mine...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...