need some help ! love to have a lot of replies ! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-29-2005, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Stud is an unknown
need some help ! love to have a lot of replies !

Ok guys, ive got a major question to ask from you guys here ... its time for me to upgrade my tubro on my car, i have everything except havent put it all on the car yet, which is the TXS RFL BOV, APS FMIC, TXS turboback and Helix uppipe, PE 800cc injectors, PWR Radiator, lower Thermostat, Samco Hoses, Perrin fuel rails, HKS Profec B spec 2 boost controller, Perrin pulley, gauges, UTEC along with other misc stuff ! i mean ive got EVERYTHING except a fuel pump (havent decided yet) and my turbo .... as you can see i have some pretty heavy stuff here ... or atleast IMO ... now what i wanna know is, what turbo do you think i should connect with this package ? i mean i know this is asked ... but ive got more goals in mind then most, so im hopin some of you more experience guys could help me out, but all opinions welcome !!

Im looking for a turbo that spools close to stock, i mean i would like the drivablity to be there still somewhat so around 2900 Min - 3400 MAX i think would be good spool time, ummm like i said, DRIVABILTY, i know it does kinda sound awkward but yes, id still like it ! and power #'s .... my goal is to hit close to 450whp MAX id be happy with about 400 or close too it !! and yes i do realise that im asking for trouble with having that much power go through the stock tranny, yes the STOCK tranny, but i plan to put a 6speed in the car, after i blow this one ! along with possibly an sti engine or get an axis stage 6 ... not sure just yet !! (yes i know lots of $$ BUT i know a friend who wrecked an sti so .... lookin maybe for a good deal !) but i think thats it, if im missing anything please lemme know ! thanks everyone i really appreciate it

oh and before i forget, do the wrx and STI share the same flanges for the turbo ? or no ? and other then the utec and fuel rail, what else isnt really compatible with the STI engine if i end up putting it in ? and whats a good higher flowing fuel pump ? other then the walbro ? obviously something that can support my mods ! thanks again !

Last edited by WRX_Stud; 03-30-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2005, 10:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Stud is an unknown
also, something id like to do is beat a snotty kid with a est 400whp mustang ! (it has a supercharger along with other stuff in it ! )
#3 Old 03-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I think you're missing a downpipe if you don't have one yet. As for fuel pumps, most people get a walbro. For low scroll, vf34 is good, but I don't know what the hp it's good for. I don't know a whole lot about turbos.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#4 Old 03-30-2005, 07:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
It's a difficult proposition to get high hp and drivability. High HP means a big turbo. A big turbo means lag. Lag means reduced drivability. Having said that, I would get an 18g and be done with it. You won't reach 450 whp, but you aren't going to reach that on the stock block and transmission anyways.

Also, you don't need the boost controller. The UTEC controls boost much better.
#5 Old 03-30-2005, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Why would you want to wait till you blow your tranny to replace it when you can replace it now and sell a perfectly good WRX 5-speed tranny and get some of that cash back you spent. Just my opinion.

**Also, your TXS catback isn't going to bolt up to your stock downpipe or most downpipes. I think the only downpipe you will be able to connect to is going to be a TXS downpipe & TXS racepipe/catpipe. I will be selling my TXS downpipe(Jet-Hot coated, professionally welded o2 bung) and TXS racepipe as soon as I install my Helix TBE.**

Last edited by WRXtreme; 03-30-2005 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Add Something
#6 Old 03-30-2005, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
http://www.boostplanet.com/product3.htm
Kong2 or superzilla :eek:
Get a complete catless manifold with uppipe and TBE (at least 3"). Consider stand alone E.M. , like the hydra...
Also, 340awhp will stay with youre buddy with 400 whp (?cobra). - well up to about 100mph. You should have an 11 second car.
#7 Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Stud is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
It's a difficult proposition to get high hp and drivability. High HP means a big turbo. A big turbo means lag. Lag means reduced drivability. Having said that, I would get an 18g and be done with it. You won't reach 450 whp, but you aren't going to reach that on the stock block and transmission anyways.

Also, you don't need the boost controller. The UTEC controls boost much better.

well goodthing i havent installed the boost controller yet ! its still in its box along with some other parts !!

also, i didnt even really think about this until this morning ... i mean i did think of it but i didnt put much thought into the money aspect of it ! if I sold my entire engine/tranny combo how much $$ you think that thing would be worth ? it has about 25k on it,

so now that we've got that settled, what should i do ? buy an axis or crawford block ? OR just buy the JDM STI V7 or V8 engine ??
#8 Old 03-30-2005, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I like the Crawford engines, but then again, you will probably need a new transmission to support the extra power. And, that extra power will hurt your driveability. So, it just depends on which one is more important - high HP numbers or driveability.
#9 Old 03-30-2005, 12:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

ScoobySnax is more helpful than not
Id sell all your stock stuff and other goodies, find an STi engine, (check websites, ebay, nasioc etc for totalled cars) add a GT35R kit from Kingpin and be done with it. Your tranny will last if you know how to drive and you dont abuse the crap out of it. But eventually, you will want to find a 6 speed, prefably with an R180 conversion, just because you'll want to play with your new 400whp+ toy.
You will be able to sell the STI top mount and turbo and recover some of the price of the GT35R kit.
As for fuel pump, use a walbro 255ltr/p/h.
#10 Old 03-30-2005, 12:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Stud is an unknown
yah see thats the problem eh ..... cant have your cake and eat it too ...
is there anyway to get up some pretty decent hp numbers without losing complete drivability ?

well like i said cosmo, a friend of mine totalled his sti .... so i could buy his engine or tranny from him no problem ! and hopefull for a good price ! and his engine maybe, but it would ###### better if i got a new engine instead eh

Last edited by WRX_Stud; 03-30-2005 at 12:47 PM.
#11 Old 03-30-2005, 06:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

If you can get the engine and tranny BUY IT!!! You will get factory like driveability, and a great base to mod the car from in the future. Its the best way. The 2.5 offers a lot more torque off boost, and it sounds like that it was you are looking for. Honestly, this is the way I would go, its the most economical and in the interim you still have around 225whp to play with.
#12 Old 03-31-2005, 12:17 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
JDM V7 STi motor . You aren't going to get close to 450 whp on the stock internals. I say do what Cosmo said and get an FP18G turbo. If you can get your friends STi engine undamaged, go for it as well as tranny. And like ScoobySnax said, GT35R kit . Don't forget if you go STi engine, you will need an STi UTEC.
#13 Old 03-31-2005, 07:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah man, that GT35R kit is making over 500whp on the stock STi block.

http://www.kingpinperformance.com/store/index.htm search for GT35R
#14 Old 03-31-2005, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Stud is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySnax
Yeah man, that GT35R kit is making over 500whp on the stock STi block.

http://www.kingpinperformance.com/store/index.htm search for GT35R

but the question is, can that block hold up to it ?
im wondering what that car sounds like ... i enjoy my TXS Ti setup with no cats .....
#15 Old 03-31-2005, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Stud
but the question is, can that block hold up to it ?
im wondering what that car sounds like ... i enjoy my TXS Ti setup with no cats .....

For a while I think it'll hold, they are a pretty decent company and they know their stuff.