need help with mods - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-08-2004, 06:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bosnian is an unknown
need help with mods

Hey guys, hopefully u could help me out with some decision making on mods. I'm planning to buy headers, uppipe, turboback exhaust with a highflow cat. Do u guys recommend certain brands, models, etc.. and also if u know good places to buy it from. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2004, 10:17 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
You don't need headers yet. I recommend Perrin uppipe, and TXS turboback. That is just mostly personal preference.
#3 Old 08-08-2004, 12:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
Well if you are concerned about money at all, the least expensive route, while giving a bunch of hp still would be to buy the helix uppipe/downpipe combo for $450 (www.gruppe-s.com). After that, you can get a Bosal single tip catback (known by Subaru as the SPT exhaust, http://www.seffects.com/parts/BRO112389.htm) for $350. A downpipe with a catback is the same thing as a turboback, so here you are having spent $800 (less than the cost of most turbobacks) and you have an uppipe as well.

Dont bother getting the headers. With those mods done, go ahead and get engine management. UTEC is fully tunable, and can be completely customizable to your own car, and in that respect a very superior choice. Or you can get the Cobb Accessport which is plug and play with preloaded maps that are rather nice. UTEC: $1000, Cobb: $600.
#4 Old 08-08-2004, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bosnian is an unknown
thanks a lot, I appreciate the info. Looks like i'll be buying the Utec for sure, but the helix uppipe seems to have a cat. I heard that i should eliminate that. And regarding the catback exhaust, it can't be to loud, cause of cops. But other than that, I am totally OK with purchasing the products. And if there are any other suggestions regarding mods and personal choices, please let me know. Thanks
#5 Old 08-08-2004, 10:23 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Helix uppipe doesn't have a cat, its just the flex section. I wouldn't recommend Helix uppipe because the diameter is bigger than the stock one. I recommend Helix for upgraded turbos and Perrin or TXS for stock turbo. Borla Hush and Greddy EVO are both quiet exhausts too.
#6 Old 08-09-2004, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
i have the Helix DP, UP (not installed) and Greddy Evo. prefect for what i was looking for, fairly quiet, mean sounding on throttle, and no droning (i have a wagon). all this is running with a Cobb AP stg2/93. alot faster, smoother and responsive over stock. the Helix DP replaced a Bosal DP and stock 3rd cat. the Helix seems to provide more low end power over the previous setup.

if you want a cat in the systen, Helix makes a catted DP.
#7 Old 08-09-2004, 12:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
Also that Bosal catback is in the same quiet category as the Borla Hush and GReddy EVO, but its only 350
#8 Old 08-09-2004, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescrex
Also that Bosal catback is in the same quiet category as the Borla Hush and GReddy EVO, but its only 350
maybe the single tip, but the twin tip is at least 10dp louder than the Evo2, which is why i sold my Bosal and got the GReddy.
#9 Old 08-09-2004, 01:44 PM

I don't like the idea of the cat in the Helix so close to the turbo. The Turbo XS has the downpipe catless and then they give you a high flo cat pipe (midpipe). Then that connects to the intermediate pipe and then to the muffler.
#10 Old 08-10-2004, 04:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bosnian is an unknown
its kinda hard to decide but i think that the Greddy catback will be good. Now as far as the uppipe and downpipe goes, well i don't know which one to pick.
#11 Old 08-10-2004, 06:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

from my experience with DP's, Helix > Bosal