need help. do i have an exhaust leak? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-14-2011, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

pollock is an unknown
need help. do i have an exhaust leak?

every morning ill go out to my wrx start it up and warm it uop before work. ill go inside come back out alittle later.. the car will smell like gas. and when i get inside the car i smell gas again.. do you think its an exhaust leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
no you've more than likely got leaky fuel lines, there is a recall for them go do it

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

pollock is an unknown
how do i do that
#4 Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Contact a dealership near you, give them your VIN number. They can run and check to see if it was done or is under the recall. Then go from there is your best bet.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

pollock is an unknown
alright thanks alot, my buddy has his own garage with lifts and everything, should i have him put it up and see if its the lines before i actually go and talk to a dealership?
#6 Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Knowing that it is very cold where you are in the mornings, I'm going to guess that you are experiencing the common fuel smell issue that only occurs during the extreme cold. Since the fuel lines are combinations of metal and rubber and those expand and contract differently, it is common to have small leaks especially around the rails. It usually only happens below 20F or so. That's my best $.02

We had 6 or 7 cars in the shop this week for the same thing. You can only find the leaks early when it is coldest and tighten up the clamps, or just tighten all of them. Some are very difficult to see, let alone tighten them !
#7 Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dubba1989 is an unknown
Mines been having the same problem. I called to see if mine was part of the recall and it was not. Now I have a shop working on it and they said that the leak is on the passenger side where the rubber line meets a copper line. I was told its gonna be 3 hours worth of work and that it will cost around 360. Does that sound right to you guys, i dont really know too much about cars.
#8 Old 01-17-2011, 05:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ Sorta... depends if they need to take the intake manifold off to do it (not likely).... Those sound like dealership prices... if not higher than the dealership.... What are they replacing on yours ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
$360 for 3 hours of labor? Shoot. That's a little high sounding to me. Maybe they ordered parts too?
#10 Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dubba1989 is an unknown
I thought that sounded high, but like I said I'm no mechanic and I needed it done. Was supposed to pick the car up today but I received a phone call saying they couldn't put the manifold back on and that it would be another day because there was somthing missing. At that point I was to mad and didn't really pay attention to what he said. Needless to say this will be the last time I take my car there thanks for answering my questions.
#11 Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
I have the same problem when its cold out. I put the heater on recirc while its warming seems to help cut down on the gas smell so I dont get overwhelmed with a face full of gas when I open the door.