need help choosing a 16g - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-17-2006, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
I was going to get the walboro feul pump of course. So it sounds like I should be able to make due with the STI pinks/STI intercooler then. Should I be able to put down comparable numbers with that setup? I'd hate to lose any horsepower by not spending a few extra bucks on a bigger TMIC/Injectors though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-17-2006, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggSean
I was going to get the walboro feul pump of course. So it sounds like I should be able to make due with the STI pinks/STI intercooler then. Should I be able to put down comparable numbers with that setup? I'd hate to lose any horsepower by not spending a few extra bucks on a bigger TMIC/Injectors though.
Well you can get more power if you go Bigger intercooler and injectors but I don't think you will need it to break 300whp with the 40T....a 3" inlet will help out a lot too

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#18 Old 01-17-2006, 10:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4592
Well you can get more power if you go Bigger intercooler and injectors but I don't think you will need it to break 300whp with the 40T....a 3" inlet will help out a lot too
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the 3" inlet?
#19 Old 01-17-2006, 10:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Sean - The inlet is the opening where the intake feeds the turbo.

Nick - Could you resize your pics or link to them please. Thanks.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#20 Old 01-17-2006, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
I'm leaning very strongly towards the 40T turbo now. It's either that turbo or the FP15G. From the impressive charts that i've seen on Nasioc, it appears as if the 40T outperforms the VF's and the 16g's, yet spools quickly like a VF34. I've also read the journal bearing that's used in the 40T is a more streetable solution as it doesn't wear like ball bearings do. I've also found a a great source that's selling it for 700$ shipped for a new unit. What do you guys think? Pull the trigger on the 40t? My only other problem i'm having here is that none of the tuners here in So Cali have tuned a 40T yet. I guess i'd be a guinea pig in that regard.
#21 Old 01-17-2006, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
I was doing a little more research on Nasioc and it seems that a lot of people have had some great success with the larger intercoolers available there, namely the X02 model. I'll provide a link for it below. It's about the same price as an STI intercooler and is MUCH larger, and comes with a nice y-pipe assembly. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-04...QQcmdZViewItem
#22 Old 01-18-2006, 08:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
i still think that you get what you pay for. that turbo should be great, but there is a reason why the APS and Perrin TMIC's are $800+ and that one is $350. and with Perrin, it has little to do with a brand name or advertising.
#23 Old 01-18-2006, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
I love my 40T...thing pulls like a bat outta hell

#24 Old 01-18-2006, 09:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
Quote:
I love my 40T...thing pulls like a bat outta hell

The 50T is looking nice! How much? I dont see a price on this

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
#25 Old 01-18-2006, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicsWrX
The 50T is looking nice! How much? I dont see a price on this
I am not sure...let me check on that for you

#26 Old 01-18-2006, 10:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Hey guys, TDC Tuning on nasioc sells the 40T for $700 shipped. Tell him I sent you. Maybe we can a group buy going and get an even better deal. This turbo really seems like it's the way to go.
#27 Old 01-18-2006, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by knot04
i still think that you get what you pay for. that turbo should be great, but there is a reason why the APS and Perrin TMIC's are $800+ and that one is $350. and with Perrin, it has little to do with a brand name or advertising.
Normally I would agree with that logic, however this is a piece that doesn't have any moving parts and all evidence thus far points to it being a very well performing upgrade that simply has some fitment issues(you have to be creative to get the brackets to line up correctly). Other than that there seems to be little or no performance difference between this and an APS or TURBOxs tmic. In my situation I was considering spending 300$ on an STI intercooler which is just barely bigger than stock. Now for 300$ I can get an intercooler that is SUBSTANTIALLY bigger than stock and certainly outperforms the STI intercooler. That's what I call great bang for my buck!! Now i'm certainly not afraid to spend a few extra dollars here and there to get quality parts,(my car only has 2300 miles on the odometer and I already have $4000 in mods!) but I sincerely believe that is one of those situations where some money can be saved and still get a high quality performance part.
#28 Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

As far as the 50T it seems that there are only a few prototype units out there right now...I will try and see if I can get you one for a 'testers price' if you are interested..

#29 Old 01-18-2006, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
Quote:
As far as the 50T it seems that there are only a few prototype units out there right now...I will try and see if I can get you one for a 'testers price' if you are interested..

Talk to me Nick....PM me if you would like and we can discuss.

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
#30 Old 01-18-2006, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggSean
Normally I would agree with that logic, however this is a piece that doesn't have any moving parts and all evidence thus far points to it being a very well performing upgrade that simply has some fitment issues(you have to be creative to get the brackets to line up correctly). Other than that there seems to be little or no performance difference between this and an APS or TURBOxs tmic. In my situation I was considering spending 300$ on an STI intercooler which is just barely bigger than stock. Now for 300$ I can get an intercooler that is SUBSTANTIALLY bigger than stock and certainly outperforms the STI intercooler. That's what I call great bang for my buck!! Now i'm certainly not afraid to spend a few extra dollars here and there to get quality parts,(my car only has 2300 miles on the odometer and I already have $4000 in mods!) but I sincerely believe that is one of those situations where some money can be saved and still get a high quality performance part.

if what you are saying is true then you are telling me that there is no performance to be gained or lost due to end tank design, or core integrity? seriously we both know thats not true. there is a reason why COSMO gaind power when he switched from his hyperflow TMIC to his APS FMIC, and it wasnt because of the greater cooling. the APS has the lowest pressure drop of ANY intercooler. lower pressure drop = more power. do you really think that a budget e-bay intercooler is as good as an APS or Perrin?????