Need feedback ASAP - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
DO NOT RUN THE STI TURBO ON THE STAGE 2 COBB MAP!

You will blow up your motor again. You need another advisor.

There is a Cobb map setup for the correct turbo. If you run the stage 2 map with the VF39 or 43 you are going to lean your A/F way out. The STi turbo flows a lot more air than the stock WRX turbo.

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/...093%20v100.pdf

VF39 turbo, STi TMIC, STi "Pink" 565cc injectors & Turboback exhaust using 93 octane

You need to get bigger injectors and run the proper map or you are going to destroy your motor again. Call Cobb/PDX Tuning/Surgeline Tuning and talk to them or another real tuner. We are just trying to help you not destroy your car. Please get some advise from a tuner. Any of these guys can give you some real good advice:

Welcome to 555 Motorsports
CAMTuning.com - Custom Engine Management and Performance Tuning Solutions
awdtuning.com - Main Site - Subaru Performance Tuning
MPS™ :: Custom Tuning Services “Get a Dom Tune!”®

With the exception of your tuning and injector choices, it looks like you have a good selection for the parts. The BOV isn't necessary but it will work.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
DO NOT RUN THE STI TURBO ON THE STAGE 2 COBB MAP!

You will blow up your motor again. You need another advisor.

There is a Cobb map setup for the correct turbo. If you run the stage 2 map with the VF39 or 43 you are going to lean your A/F way out. The STi turbo flows a lot more air than the stock WRX turbo.

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/...093%20v100.pdf

VF39 turbo, STi TMIC, STi "Pink" 565cc injectors & Turboback exhaust using 93 octane

You need to get bigger injectors and run the proper map or you are going to destroy your motor again. Call Cobb/PDX Tuning/Surgeline Tuning and talk to them or another real tuner. We are just trying to help you not destroy your car. Please get some advise from a tuner. Any of these guys can give you some real good advice:

Welcome to 555 Motorsports
CAMTuning.com - Custom Engine Management and Performance Tuning Solutions
awdtuning.com - Main Site - Subaru Performance Tuning
MPS™ :: Custom Tuning Services “Get a Dom Tune!”®

With the exception of your tuning and injector choices, it looks like you have a good selection for the parts. The BOV isn't necessary but it will work.
OP-Read the stuff in bold as this is the second time it's been said.I don't think you getting this.Read my last post again as well.You can read all the premade map notes on Cobb's website.Oldfartracer even posted a link to the stage 2 maps notes and you clearly missed "for stock turbo only".And which "STI" turbo??There are like 6-8 different ones...........only certain ones will work with Cobb's premade maps.I can guarantee most of the guys here know more (much more) about these cars than the people you are talking too.I have been wrenching on cars myself for 20 years and self tune my current car(and friends) along with installing/performing all my modifications as well as doing my own turbo rebuilds and porting /polishing work.We are trying to save you some serious heartache but you need to take heed to the stuff we are saying(especially the stuff in bold!!!)

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#33 Old 03-28-2009, 09:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Ok maybe im reading this all wrong, but you are wanting to put on the STI turbo, and stay with your stock injectors, and just run the stage 2 COBB map? and also have all those other bolt on mods like exhaust ect....???? and why are you putting on another BOV for stay with the stock one!! Are you going to get a protune after you put this turbo on and all the other bolt ons??
#34 Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
You need to do a few things:

1) What STi turbo? you need the exact model number (i.e. VF34, VF39, VF43).
2) You have to get injectors to run an upgraded turbo. To use a stock cobb map (i.e. VF39 Map you need STi Pinks which are 565ccs). Honeslty, I would skip the STi pinks and get some Dershwerks 660cc injectors for more headroom (you will need a custom tune for sure...see #s 3-4)
3) If you carefully read the Cobb map notes it says to use the stock intake or Cobb Intake ONLY. You will need a custom open source tune/or a protune to correctly tune your car with that TurboXS intake. Cobb has certain paramenters for their "general tune" once you start changing stuff/adding parts that are not compatiable with their map you will throw off your AFR (Air to Fuel Ratio).
4) You may want to consider skipping the Cobb AP and go straight for a custom open source tune. Cobb AP is $700, a protune w/AP is $500 so that = $1200. When you can get a custom open source tune with dyno time and road tune for around $500-$600 (my tuner charges $500 for dyno tune with a road tune to finish it off).

Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 03-28-2009 at 01:04 PM.
#35 Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I don't think you getting this.Read my last post again as well.You can read all the premade map notes on Cobb's website.Oldfartracer even posted a link to the stage 2 maps notes and you clearly missed "for stock turbo only".And which "STI" turbo??There are like 6-8 different ones...........only certain ones will work with Cobb's premade maps.I can guarantee most of the guys here know more (much more) about these cars than the people you are talking too.I have been wrenching on cars myself for 20 years and self tune my current car(and friends) along with installing/performing all my modifications as well as doing my own turbo rebuilds and porting /polishing work.We are trying to save you some serious heartache but you need to take heed to the stuff we are saying(especially the stuff in bold!!!)
+1. Most of on this site live and breathe WRX/STi stuff. Personally, I went through a similar situation a while back with my EJ205/2.0L motor (I have a '05 WRX like you). Now I have an EJ257 Hybrid w/CP Pistons, Kelford 264/264 cams, Blouch 18G 8cm. But, when my old motor went I found a mechanic who owns his own performance shop (Machines Gone Wild in Kendal) that specializes in building and tuning WRX/STi/Evo engines. That is all he does, build motors and tunes them.

However, I do have a good background in engine work as I have taken a few auto shop classes, my dad used to race and we love to work on our cars together. Also, my good buddy is mechanic for Honda who I helped build up his S2K engine (which has a HUGE turbo pushing about 600whp).

Even though I probably could have done my motor build myself, working on a WRX/STi engine is much more difficult than a Honda engine b/c we have so many more parts (shoot the S2K engine pretty much comes apart with a good socket wrench and few different sized sockets, it was easy as hell). Please take everyone’s advice and do your homework and find someone who specializes in building and tuning WRX/STi engines, as just some mechanic at any regular performance shop will not do (i.e. you don't have a Honda Civic). Even if this mechanic is at your local Subaru dealer I would not trust him, b/c those guys do maintenance and most have no idea of how to properly build/upgrade an WRX/STi engine.

Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 03-28-2009 at 01:02 PM.
#36 Old 03-28-2009, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr. Happy is an unknown
OK THANK YOU! Much more reading to do. I will not run STI turbo on Cobb Stage II map. I don't know which STi turbo yet; I (wrongly) assumed there was only one STi turbo upgrade reccommended for the 05 WRX wagon. I will find out more; the turbo is the only thing I don't have specs for. More to come...
#37 Old 03-28-2009, 03:01 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
I will not run STI turbo on Cobb Stage II map.
And if you run ANY of the STI turbos you will need larger injectors.At least 565cc.Stock injectors are 420cc.Cobb map notes for the STi turbo maps will clearly state you must run larger injectors and the map is prescaled for 565cc injectors.Any other size injectors will need custom tuning.

#38 Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
Talk with this guy, Element. Phil is a very well known tuner that can make big power, he tuned my car.
#39 Old 03-29-2009, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mr. Happy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
Ok maybe im reading this all wrong, but you are wanting to put on the STI turbo, and stay with your stock injectors, and just run the stage 2 COBB map? and also have all those other bolt on mods like exhaust ect....???? and why are you putting on another BOV for stay with the stock one!! Are you going to get a protune after you put this turbo on and all the other bolt ons??
Just to clarify, my plan was (is?) to upgrade to an STi turbo, stay with stock injectors for now, NOT run a Cobb Stage 2 map, but either "the map in the Cobb AP listed 'after' the stage 2 map, or a custom map, based on work of a good tuner. Yes, bolt on exhaust as described above.

I will be present for the tuning (want to watch/learn, and keep in mind all being said here), and will be quick to pull out of shop if they appear to be winging it and/or don't have appropriate gauges/monitoring (AFR, etc.). I will also make sure tune is good at WOT.

Right now, (for now?), my major regret is the BOV. Injectors are an eventuality. Sounds as if I'm wasting time/money with upgrade to STi turbo if I don't go ahead with injectors. Any logic to getting what I've got running before upgrading injectors?

Willl be researching and having chats with some/all of these folks:

555 Motorsports
CAMTuning.com
awdtuning.com
MPS™ Custom Tuning Services
Elementuning.com

Thanks for all the feedback!
#40 Old 03-29-2009, 12:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Injectors are an eventuality. Sounds as if I'm wasting time/money with upgrade to STi turbo if I don't go ahead with injectors. Any logic to getting what I've got running before upgrading injectors?
This is a fact. Get injectors the same time that you upgrade the turbo. An upgraded turbo without enough fuel is worthless.

#41 Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr. Happy is an unknown
Update: Saga still in progress - I'm waiting on injectors.

First, feedback from the following tuners (I thought you all would find the information interesting, especially about the TXS intake):

555 Motorsports
CAMTuning.com
awdtuning.com
Elementuning.com

In no particular order:

"you have to go with bigger injectors NOW. The mods on that list will max the injectors out around 10psi or less and you will run dangerously lean as well as cause injector damage. At the very least, you need to get ahold of some STi pinks or blues."

"With the OEM ecu the MAF diameter is critical and a map will be based specifically for a certain intake. Since I was one of the first employees at TXS I know their standard size intake (at least a few years ago) is the same diameter as OEM and there is very little change in AFR due to this intake compared to OEM."

"There isn't a map for your setup. You need to get injectors to support the STi turbo. If you stay with stock injectors you will run out of fuel at fairly low boost, and run the risk of damaging your engine again. If you get yourself some JDM pink injectors you'll be able to run Cobb's OTS VF39 map. What version AP do you have? I can easily email tune your car if you have a version 2. The STi clutch barely fits in your car, and will probably require some grinding."

... and two offers to map over the internet.

In other news... the shop called and said the Grimmspeed uppipe is real perdy, but has the same diameter as the 05WRX stock, and the stock uppipe is also catless (the only reason the new uppipe was reccommended) and has heat shields.

ANY OPINIONS as to whether I should keep stock uppipe versus replacing with Grimmspeed?

On order: Deatschwerks Cobb Spec 650cc Injectors for 2005 WRX "for the extra headroom."

Clarification, the new clutch going in is SPt, not STi. Also, folks have been asking about the STi turbo: it's VF39.

More to come... thanks!
#42 Old 04-06-2009, 09:18 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
Update: Saga still in progress - I'm waiting on injectors.

First, feedback from the following tuners (I thought you all would find the information interesting, especially about the TXS intake):

555 Motorsports
CAMTuning.com
awdtuning.com
Elementuning.com

In no particular order:

"you have to go with bigger injectors NOW. The mods on that list will max the injectors out around 10psi or less and you will run dangerously lean as well as cause injector damage. At the very least, you need to get ahold of some STi pinks or blues."

"With the OEM ecu the MAF diameter is critical and a map will be based specifically for a certain intake. Since I was one of the first employees at TXS I know their standard size intake (at least a few years ago) is the same diameter as OEM and there is very little change in AFR due to this intake compared to OEM."

"There isn't a map for your setup. You need to get injectors to support the STi turbo. If you stay with stock injectors you will run out of fuel at fairly low boost, and run the risk of damaging your engine again. If you get yourself some JDM pink injectors you'll be able to run Cobb's OTS VF39 map. What version AP do you have? I can easily email tune your car if you have a version 2. The STi clutch barely fits in your car, and will probably require some grinding."

... and two offers to map over the internet.

In other news... the shop called and said the Grimmspeed uppipe is real perdy, but has the same diameter as the 05WRX stock, and the stock uppipe is also catless (the only reason the new uppipe was reccommended) and has heat shields.

ANY OPINIONS as to whether I should keep stock uppipe versus replacing with Grimmspeed?

On order: Deatschwerks Cobb Spec 650cc Injectors for 2005 WRX "for the extra headroom."

Clarification, the new clutch going in is SPt, not STi. Also, folks have been asking about the STi turbo: it's VF39.

More to come... thanks!
Pretty much what we already told you.Don't find the info about the TurboXS intake interesting at all.Thats been known information for at least 5 years now.This Intake FAQ's was created in 2004 and it listed the TurboXS intake as one that did not screw up the MAF signal Intake FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC Trust me,there is little I don't know about these cars (as well as other memebers here) considering I have been running around on 4-5 different Subaru forums for around 5 years now soaking up info Hopefully the people installing the parts are better at that than giving technical advise.They sound like complete morons.The stock up-pipe is not catless on a 05 WRX.Sounds like the previuos owner swapped it out for an STI one or gutted the stocker.If its the STI one,use it.If its the gutted stocker,use the Grimmspeed one as it will flow better.

#43 Old 04-06-2009, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:

I would run the GrimmSpeed uppipe myself. The stock UP for the 05 WRX is not catless. If the one that is on there is catless it should work fine but the diameter of the GrimmSpeed pipe is not the same.

Quote:
# 1.92" Inlet = perfect match to gasket allowing a little room for gasket movement(anything bigger, ie 2", will almost be guaranteed to put the gasket in the flow which is horrible for flow)
# 1.75" Outlet = Narrowing down from 1.92 to 1.75 acts as a funnel. Also very close match to most common turbos so you have much less step going into the turbo(unlike a straight through 2" which creates a huge step going into most common turbos vf's, tdo4s, etc)
The outlet diameter might be the same but the inlet is not.

#44 Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mr. Happy is an unknown
Grimmspeed it is. How the Heck am I going to buy all you guys a beer once (or if) my car runs?! Thanks! In my other post, you'll now see I've got to decide what to do with the ETG...
#45 Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Grimmspeed it is. How the Heck am I going to buy all you guys a beer once (or if) my car runs?! Thanks! In my other post, you'll now see I've got to decide what to do with the ETG...
LOL... I will send you my PayPal address so that you can send me enough to buy a beer. I only drink Belgian though so make it $10.