Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Need feedback ASAP (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/need-feedback-asap-25580/)

Mr. Happy 03-23-2009 07:55 PM

Need feedback ASAP

Hi All, long story short: I have 05 WRX, 46K miles. Rod is bent and dealer is replacing block and pistons under warranty. Approx two weeks of rental car on my own dime (just complaining)... each day adds up though.

To take advantage of the situation, I am doing upgrades and "early mainentance." Just found this forum. Ordering parts in next day or so.

Proposed "early maintenance" = new timing belt (i.e., only at cost of belt), replace clutch with STI ceramic clutch assembly.

Proposed mods (all STi and Cobb where possible):

STi turbo
up-pipe
downpipe
keeping stock cats* but replacing all other exhaust, turbo back
cold air intake
BOV

*I've been told that stock cats are minimally restrictive. I was told that high-flow cats by comparison are not worth the extra $ in terms of bang for buck.

Me - once all done, Cobb AccessPORT - have friend (currently can't reach him) who can set up/tune.

The above list nearly zero's out my budget.

Anything I'm missing that would be a low-cost no-brainer to add at this point? For example, should I be looking at injection system or fuel pump? Should I replace engine mounts? Should I consider upgraded intake manifold and intercooler in exchange for somethintg on the above list.

Sorry about all the newbie questions. This came up fast and the time window is short!!

Many thanks for ANY feedback!!!!

c2bcoolwrx 03-23-2009 08:14 PM

Cold air intake will require a custom tune (a regular Cobb AP Map will not give you the right AFR), and the stock air box is more than enough for your power level. Also the BOV is not necessary unless you plan on running more than 20PSI+, even then you can mod it to work. If your doing a BOV get a recirculating one (i.e. the Perrin) as that is easier to tune with and does not mess with the AFR like a VTA BOV.

I am not sure how your gonna use a STi clutch assembly (the STi is a 6 speed tranny) and your '05 WRX has a 5 speed so that will not work. I suggest the Exedy OEM replacement clutch or if you want a little more bite the Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch. Additionally, you don't have to run any cats in FL (no emmissions testing), the stockers would be a restriction. If you want a cat I suggest getting a Bellmouth DP with a Cat (i.e. Invidia or Cobb).

Finally, you may need a 3 port BCS (i.e. GM, Perrin, Mach V), fuel pump (Walbro 255), bigger TMIC, and injectors (atleast 565cc but I would go 650cc for more headroom). But, I would consult your tuner about that. Lastly and foremost, find a good/experienced tuner.

mosc 03-23-2009 08:18 PM

List of bad things to do:
Clutch
BOV
CAI

Also, the "STi Turbo" will require:
-catless up-pipe
-bigger injectors
-bigger intercooler
-bellmouth downpipe removing the stock catalytic converters (not nessisarily catless)
-Most probably a cat-back exhaust
-some engine management for a re-tune

Read Cobb's AP map for an 05 WRX with a VF39 (04-06 USDM STi Turbo) for example:
[url]http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/subaru/new/05%20WRX/Map%20Notes/STi%20Pink%202.0L%20VF39%2093%20v100.pdf[/url]

Note it specifically warns against aftermarket intakes:
"MUST USE FACTORY INTAKE SYSTEM OR COBB SF INTAKE ONLY"

My advise is to slow down and do your homework. Cheaper to fix things right the first time.

Mr. Happy 03-23-2009 09:42 PM

Thanks to both of you. Agreed, better to slow down and deal with extra cost of rental car... small $ in comparison. Tomorrow I will know much more about parts/brands being reccommended by parts dept. Trying to work this where warranty will be OK when all is said and done. May not be possible or may not be worth the effort balanced with the possible gains.

I must have misunderstood about the STi clutch. I'll have more details late morning Tuesday/tomorrow and will post them here. If you have a chance to check back in, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

baller_v24 03-23-2009 09:45 PM

yea for real, i would get it fixed first and then upgrade later. since you are getting a new block im assuming it will be under warranty after the replacement and if they mess it up or it something happens to it again im sure they wont cover it if you do performance upgrades.

Just take your time, and save yourself some money as the rental alone will be expensive.

dumdum 03-24-2009 07:21 AM

There is an STI 5 speed clutch.It's on STI/SPT site and in the dealer upgraded parts brochures.Waste to do the timing belt now.The manual calls for 110,000 miles.I usually do them at 90,000.

oldfartracer 03-24-2009 02:23 PM

You broke your motor with 46K and, I am guessing, still stock. You need to do a lot of research before you mod. Cobb and STI both are good parts, but I would not limit my build to just companies.
The only real upgrade is the turbo, but like mosc stated you will need other parts.
Read this [url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787]Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC[/url]

Mr. Happy 03-24-2009 08:48 PM

I tried to stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night and today... and still reading the amazing manifesto. That said, I have had lengthy talks with a couple of very WRX-tuning savvy folks. Also got rid of rental car and have a loaner car... not in a rush now.

I broke my engine... ?, never red-lined it. It was check out and is fully covered by warrantied. The shop told me they have had a few WRX's come in with this problem.

Side note: I swore to myself that when the STi came out in a wagon, I would buy one... that was then. This economy's now.

So, thanks to your input, info from reading and conversations, and my hankering for more HP for ~3 years, here's where I'm at:

[I should also mention I'm in the hands of a good tuner man and I am in learn mode bigtime... may be getting in over my head, but it's hard to pass up on the free labor for all these mods!]

Cobb Tuning Cobb Stage 2 Power Package(WRX 2002-05)
-Catted Downpipe (my pref)
-Cat-back Exhaust
-Accessport
Cobb Tuning 712100 SF Intake System
Cobb Tuning Lightweight Main Pulley
GrimmSpeed UP Up-pipe w/ Flex Section ceramic Coated
HKS 71004-AF008 HKS SSQV Direct Bolt On BOV Kit (recirc)
TurboXS Top Mount Intercooler Kit
Walbro 400-791 Walbro Installation Kit / Subaru and
Walbro GSS342 Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
NGK BKR7E Heat range 7 Spark Plugs / WRX
Subaru SPT ceramic 5sp clutch assembly
STI/SPT turbo (specs pending)

Things for later once I learn more include injectors, etc.

I appreciate the comments and welcome more. Yes, I'm jumping in the deep end, but I have a lifeline and a tuner friendly shop.

PS. The clutch may be a couple of hours extra labor... otherwise, it's cost of parts.

oldfartracer 03-24-2009 09:09 PM

These are a waste of money on a stage 2 car.
But it's your money.
Make sure you get tuned because the OTS Cobb map will not be happy.

jed344 03-24-2009 09:17 PM

i have TBE, catless upipe, Cobb stage 2 map. car runs good id say start with that then go from there. well i have a dumb vented greddy bov that was on the car that is going bye bye pritty quick

mosc 03-25-2009 01:53 AM

You need bigger injectors if you want to run a larger turbo.

Mr. Happy 03-25-2009 06:45 AM

[quote=oldfartracer;218066]These are a waste of money on a stage 2 car.
But it's your money.
Make sure you get tuned because the OTS Cobb map will not be happy.[/quote]

I'll put that comment in front of my two "advisors" to see what they have to say in defense. Everything they proposed sounded logical to me except for the BOV, but I was told the stock BOV has a small leak at high rpms and and the aftermarket BOV would keep pressures more stable/smoother across the higher range, plus no leaks... maybe a bill of goods?

Nobody suggested the intercooler until I brought it up, and the reply was that the stock intercooler was minimally effective and that now that I'll be generating more heat under the hood, it would be a smart thing to do. Not sure how more/cooler air and larger turbo are a waste of money when I'm increasing exhaust flow.

Should I not put in the upgradded fuel pump until I get to the injectors?

Injectors are eminant, but I have to draw the $ line somewhere. Maybe I'm going overboard trying to take advantage of the free labor.

I realize the canned Cobb maps are not going to fit this glove well, and yes I will get tuned.

isd_intrepid 03-25-2009 08:25 AM

Why are you stuck on the STi turbo? Take a look and see what blouch, FP, etc have to offer. that car can easily handle an 16G or 18G and not have to change the intercooler setup from TMIC to FMIC. Also i would do everything in stages and not just dump a butt load of performance parts on the car, for the reason of understanding how the car is going to react and the simple matter of driving it.

Also with a quick note about your clutch that nobody has mentioned. Stock Transmission = Stock Clutch. If you get a "Grabbier" clutch you run the risk of stripping gears in the tranmission.
MOSC or one of the other smarter guys can explain it better than i can.

mosc 03-25-2009 08:33 AM

You should have a VERY short list for this project if your budget is so tight:
Catted downpipe
Cat back
Catless uppipe
Cobb AP
DONE

As for your stock BOV leaking, I run a larger turbo than you pushing more air with more boost on the same BOV and I have no leaks. You're getting bad advise.

dumdum 03-25-2009 08:42 AM

[quote=Mr. Happy;218096]

Nobody suggested the intercooler until I brought it up, and the reply was that the stock intercooler was minimally effective and that now that I'll be generating more heat under the hood, it would be a smart thing to do. Not sure how more/cooler air and larger turbo are a waste of money when I'm increasing exhaust flow.[/quote]Right the problem here is you started off by saying "stage 2 power package".Stage 2 does not have a turbo upgrade.Most people reading your list probably got confused because you are using the terminology kinda wrong:)
[quote=Mr. Happy]
Should I not put in the upgradded fuel pump until I get to the injectors?[/quote]Not following you here.If you get a larger turbo you absolutely have to have larger injectors.Period.More air = more fuel.A fuel pump just supplies the injectors,it doesn't do the injectors job.It isn't 100% necessary for a turbo that small.If you upgrade the turbo,you upgrade the injectors.I have also bought almost 75% of my parts used.I saved alot of money that way.Ebay or NASIOC classifieds.