Subaru WRX Forum banner

My turbo is worse then my girlfriend

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Imprezd02 
#1 ·
It whines. when i first bought the car i could hear a slight spooling sound but no whine. now on cold starts the turbo whines on acceleration. kinda sounds like a police siren, really freaks me out lol. Loud on cold start, calms down a little but still whines at norm drive temps. My boost hasnt really changed, i put my car back to stock recently but i had a TBE and RFL B.O.V.. The boost dropped a little after taking off the DP but still hitting a little under 1 bar. The weather has cooled a little but i live in central FL, so its still warm. Is my turbo going or is this normal? Thanks all for reading.

#4 ·
Could be a leak between the up-pipe and turbo maybe.If you have a silcone turbo inlet i would pull it off and try to look inside the turbo.You'll be able to tell if the problem is indeed it.You will see small metal shavings and the compressor wheel ends will look like they have been filed.Basiclly that sound sometimes is also the sound of the compressor/turbine wheel making contact with housing.This happens when the shaft bearings go bad/worn or the shaft gets bent.Sounds like a Federal Q on a firetruck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.