My "safe" plan for 300 ponies (@crank) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-19-2002, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
My "safe" plan for 300 ponies (@crank)

I've owned my WRX for going on two years and have slowly modified it to hoping to achieve ballpark 300 hp crank ( and more importantly close to the same amount of torque). I want this to be safe, reliable power and I think beyond these figures the drivetrain and engine internals will be more exposed to damage. I'm not one to jump on any bandwagons or quick to decide on a new mod (although I truly repsect those on the front lines trying things out). I knew I'd have to replace the uppipe for several reasons, power obviously, quicker spooling turbo (important for autox/rallyx) and it safely reduces egts- I chose to go w/ a STI JDM version because of leak issues (and I got a great price on a used one- jet coated). I also knew I would need to open the exhaust up, as torque is the most important to my uses I chose ScoobySport- well designed downpipe, good torque gains throughout and the ability to mix and match oe pieces (needed to retain one cat for scca classifications- kept the 3rd oe one). I replaced my panel filter w/ an ITG one and did the silencer mod (small gains to be sure, but better filtering than oe-impotant in the dirt). I replaced the intercooler hoses w/ Samco ones, these are stronger than oe and flow better also. At this stage I'm in the 260-270 hp (crank) range, my car spools faster, is quicker off the line and has way more more oomph. My last and final step will be engine mgt. I have several times come close to jumping at different systems, but was told by some knowledable tuners to wait. The wait is about over w/ the advent of ECUTEK coming stateside. A simple reflash of my oe ecu (w/ improved mapping) will net me in the ballpark of 30 hp/ft lbs torque. All of this while still retaining the many safety features built into our ecu.

This combined w/ my efforts at a w/ a well sorted suspension, hi po tires and uprated brakes will make for a wonderful do anything sportscar (even grocery getting duties ).

Sorry for the long winded rambling, but thought some might be interested in yet "another" route.

Big Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-19-2002, 07:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Xspeedrj is an unknown
Interested!

Details with pros and cons are too hard to find. Too many cheap products out there to have to experiment with all of them. I'm looking for minor changes now, increasing them later as I go.

I've switched to a K&N replacement filter and will do the mod to the silencer as you described, but I'm in the research stage of the Uppipe and Downpipe replacements. I'd like to replace two of the three cats, but retain the stock muffler. Was considering the HKS versions for both, but the lower piece replaces both cats without adding one back. What do you think? Do you know of any JDM products that will replace the two lower cats with one high flow cat and fit up to the remaining stock exhaust?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-20-2002, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally posted by Xspeedrj
Interested!

Details with pros and cons are too hard to find. Too many cheap products out there to have to experiment with all of them. I'm looking for minor changes now, increasing them later as I go.

I've switched to a K&N replacement filter and will do the mod to the silencer as you described, but I'm in the research stage of the Uppipe and Downpipe replacements. I'd like to replace two of the three cats, but retain the stock muffler. Was considering the HKS versions for both, but the lower piece replaces both cats without adding one back. What do you think? Do you know of any JDM products that will replace the two lower cats with one high flow cat and fit up to the remaining stock exhaust?
If you want to retain one cat, make sure it is either the 3rd oe cat or a high flow replacement. Cat #1 (uppipe), #2 (downpipe) definitely need to go. Most (maybe all?) JDM exhausts are 3", which means you wouldn't be able to utilize your stock muffler. I wouldn't rule out ScoobySport, there stage 1 replaces the uppipe and downpipe and utilizes the rest of your oe exhaust. These two pieces make most of the gains (hp+tq) from exhaust changes. Later on if you want to add a muffler or catback you can. There may be a JDM setup out there that does the same, but I'm not familiar w/ it.

Big Sky
post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2002, 12:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Xspeedrj is an unknown
Mod update

Just an FYI,

I went with the HKS uppipe and downpipe. I believe the HKS is a late-comer for the uppipe and must be aware of the leakage problems of earlier uppipes, so I'm not so concerned that it costs a lot less than some other existing uppipes. The HKS downpipe seems to be a common choice for guys doing mods downstream. I figure using both in tandem is a decent approach. HKS FAQs is fielding a few of my concerns about throwing CELs though. The back order for these pipes is bad though, but for $300.....I can wait.

I know I won't have any Cats when this is done, but where I live emissions are years apart (adding the lower Cats back isn't too problematic). Plus, my Subaru dealer turns a blind eye to Mods. They just recommended that I don't sell or dump the stock parts in case something goes wrong and they need my car in stock condition.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXpert

A qucik update. I've now included a Samco turbo inlet hose to my additions. Again a safe mod, w/ the added benefit of reliability/longevity over the oe pipe (plus a little performance enhancement). I actually installed this as I was (turns out many are) experinceing a raw fuel smell on startups on cold mornings. It turns out there are two fuel lines directly below the inlet pipe w/ a short rubber section in each (that are held in place w/ small clamps). The clamps are loose form the factory and need tightened. Unfortunately the inlet pipe has to come out to tighten these, thus my decision to upgrade this piece.

I should also be recieving my reflashed ECU within the next two weeks.

Big Sky
post #6 of 7 Old 01-12-2003, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

bodybuildr is an unknown
I just baught a 2003 WRX and am looking for cost effective mods. Unfortunately I live in MA and the emission testing here is verry strict. I was wondering if I put in a up pipe and down pipe will the car pass???

Also I would like to minimize waranty voiding any other suggestions for mods? So far all I've found was to put in a K&N air filter.

Thanx for the help!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-12-2003, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXpert

The uppipe swap you can do w/o worries about testing. The downpipe, if your stds are strict, is doable but you'll probably have to go w/ downpipe w/ a hi-flow cat in it- Stromung, Graham Goode, APS. I like the design of the graham goode one, if I had to worry about emissions it's the one I'd get.

If going w/ a downpipe w/ a cat- I'd replace the rest of the sytem back, to reduce restrictions as much as possible, this shouldn't ahve any bearing on emissions and add some more hp. Intercooler hoses are another cost effective mod and add some reliability also. I'd also consider (even if its down the road) a ecu reflash (ecutek), this is a very cost effective and safe mod, w/ no bearing on emmissions.

Big Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement