My New Setup - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
On another note I came home to find this LC-1 package sitting on my doorstep:
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=150
I can't wait to get all this stuff in and get to tuning.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 12-31-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Yesterday was a marathon install. All this went into the car:
Blouch Evo III 16G
Slowboy Racing EWG Uppipe (Invidia UP modified for 38mm EWG)
Turbo Concepts 38mm EWG
APS Turbo Inlet
GrimmSpeed 3mm Phenolic Spacers
TGV Deletes
DomTune Boost Control Solenoid
Modded stock injectors (flow tested by Witch Hunter 822/816/816/814)

Spent about 15 hours total on installing everything on the car. Even though I know that they don't post here, I want to thank Tom, Jeremy, and Paul for all their help. I wouldn't have been able to do it without them. So much work but it is so worth it in the end. I think that I woke up Pat on my way through the neighborhood about midnight hitting boost in second gear so that I could open the EWG and hear that sweet noise. :flame:

There were some ugly things with the car that we fixed from the original owner:
Missing bolts that hold the fuel rails down
Turbo inlet was improperly installed and had a small leak
There were a lot of random bolts that were not torqued at all.

I think that the most fun we had was custom fitting my TXS DP so that it would coexist with the EWG setup with a BFH. :lol: It was not much fun when my Cobb SF v1 intake fell the hell apart when I was trying to reinstall it either. I am really thankful that we had some JB Weld laying around to fix it up with.

If anyone is considering a SBR EWG UP for 38mm WG don't. The dump tube rides extremely close to the axle. I am not entirely sure I am happy with it, but the car needed to be running for today so we heat wrapped the dump tube to keep the temps down right there.

I have just a few things left to install.

LC-1, Boost and EGT gauges, and clean up various hoses and stuff.

My first revision Dom Tune map is running great, but I can't wait to get it more refined with some more boost.

post #33 of 45 Old 01-01-2008, 02:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
Glad to hear everything is finally comming together. When does this setup hit full boost at?
Also what was the turn-around time on the witch hunter modded injectors?
post #34 of 45 Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman420 View Post
Glad to hear everything is finally comming together. When does this setup hit full boost at?
I haven't had time to do any serious logging yet and the map really isn't tuned yet, so I don't want to say when it hits full boost. Once we get it tuned I will post up that info.

The flow testing was done by the previous owner of the injectors but I don't think that the turn around time is too long.

post #35 of 45 Old 01-01-2008, 07:15 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman420 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
The flow testing was done by the previous owner of the injectors but I don't think that the turn around time is too long.
tells you on the website, WitchHunter Performance - Injector Cleaning & Flow Testing Services 1-2 days

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #36 of 45 Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
save your money and have an exhaust shop weld the dump tube back into the downpipe.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #37 of 45 Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
save your money and have an exhaust shop weld the dump tube back into the downpipe.
No way will that happen. Then there would be no point to having the EWG on there. By routing the dump back to the DP it will negate the gains you get by reducing the amount exhaust flow through the DP.

It isn't causing me any problems so I am not going to mess with it.

post #38 of 45 Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

thebear is an unknown
how are u liking the cobb intake?
im debating just getting a drop in perrin or
cobb sf
or perrin ram
post #39 of 45 Old 02-24-2008, 11:35 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you dont have any other mods to the car, its really not needed. The stock airbox is good to 300+ HP.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #40 of 45 Old 02-24-2008, 11:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
1/4 mile 9.9??? I looked at the timeslip and it says u ran a 14.4??

12.7 @ 109
post #41 of 45 Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
its says that on all of them for some reason

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #42 of 45 Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
No way will that happen. Then there would be no point to having the EWG on there. By routing the dump back to the DP it will negate the gains you get by reducing the amount exhaust flow through the DP.
The gains are from not using the tiny little wastegate inside the turbo and from having a much better wastegate valve, not from the flow in the downpipe. You won't loose anything routing the exhaust gas back down into the downpipe POST-turbo besides the fluttering sound of a straight pipe and a wonderful stink when you hit target boost.

post #43 of 45 Old 03-03-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
The gains are from not using the tiny little wastegate inside the turbo and from having a much better wastegate valve, not from the flow in the downpipe. You won't loose anything routing the exhaust gas back down into the downpipe POST-turbo besides the fluttering sound of a straight pipe and a wonderful stink when you hit target boost.
I need to find the thread but there is a thread on NASIOC where Geoff from Full Race was arguing about why they won't make their kit recirc into the DP because of loss of benefit.

post #44 of 45 Old 03-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Garage
well they have a clear conflict of interests. It's cheaper to do it fully external.

post #45 of 45 Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
well they have a clear conflict of interests. It's cheaper to do it fully external.
That isn't it. You always have something negative to say. Full Race doesn't cut corners to make cheap products. They have some of the most expensive kits around.

Here is the thread: New exhaust manifold by Full-Race for Subies! - Vendor Announcements - NASIOC

Snippets from the thread page 29:

Quote:
we do not recirculate WG dumps back into the downpipe. While it does reduce some noise at WOT, there are a number of downsides from cracking issues, to performance issues, etc. We did this for a few years but no longer offer this as a service.

we have offered recirculated dumptubes in the past, but as was pointed out, it does drop power at boost levels over 1 bar, (35-50+whp at elevated boost levels) and in a daily driven street application it WILL crack. We use the best materials, the best fabrication techniques and the best welding, and no matter what precautions we've taken, recirc seem to crack. Full-Race will not manufacture parts which we know have a strong likelihood of failure -- we stand behind all our parts and won't sell anything that we know will cause problems later on.

Performance issues are that the recirc'd dump will cause the turbo to spool later, and make progressively less power as the boost is increased. reliability issues are that the recirc'd dump will crack.

by recirc'ing the dumps, your exhaust backpressure will increase by 1.5-6 psi depending on turbo size, turbine housing a/r, downpipe/exhaust diameter and boost level

Sponsored Links
Advertisement