My evil plan(build thread) - Subaru WRX Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-05-2014, 02:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
My evil plan(build thread)

Why is my plan evil? I live in a hotbed of tree hugging liberals that would cringe at the fact that I'm now running "catless". "Phew"! (It smells like 1973 around here!) And I'm doing it without a wide-band 02 sensor or Cobb AP!!! In fact,right at this moment I don't have any EM at all!!! MUHUHahahahahahahah!!!

Ok, so here it goes. This spans 11 years and I have lots of pics. I'm gonna start from the first mod to where I am now and what's next and why. I will also tell you what I have learned along the way. I can't do it all in one whack so I'll just keep adding to this thread. All comments,questions and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

Ziebart rustproofing: Christmas 03, present from brother. Steam-cleaned and touched up every year.

Kartboy SS&bushings: Christmas 04, present from brother. I installed the SS Christmas eve Below freezing! Bushings Christmas night below freezing with light snow at 4;00am. Guess what I did next? Let's see, collage town deserted for X-mas break,4:00am on a holiday eve, cops on a skeleton crew,1"of fresh powder, snowplows won't be out until 6:am? Hmmmmm.....Let's just say YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Rims&tires: ASA AR-1 17x7 rims with Kumho MX 225/45/17s (summer)
Blizzak WS-50 205/55R16s (winter)

Spring 05
 photo newrimsamptires-392_zps91832141.jpg
The stock tires weren't just poor they were unsafe!!! I'm surprised nobody filed a class action lawsuit!
boo-key bear likes this.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-05-2014, 04:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
nice! how does it run?
#3 Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekamikaze kid View Post
nice! how does it run?
Lots of torque low down grunt.Fast spool. Redline comes up so fast I have to shift sooner.It kind of messes me up.But in a good way. I just gotta'git outta' 1st gear quicker. Throttle response is much better at lower rpms now. Power SEEMS to keep coming on all the way to redline. But I could be just freakin' out.
thekamikaze kid likes this.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#4 Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Whiteline steering rack bushings:
Not long after I got my sticky tires I started wearing out steering rack bushings. The first set wore out in about 12,000 mi so under warranty they put in some new ones. I wore them out in about 7000mi. Then they took the wore out ones and put them on over some new ones to try to get a tighter grip on the steering rack. This worked for a while but it soon failed too.

Finally I went aftermarket. I got a set of Whiteline steering rack bushings and took them to the dealership to be installed. When I set them on the counter the mechanic snatched them up and said," 'Bout time!" they couldn't tell me about them because of some warranty/liability issue or something. Bottom line, never a problem again.

#5 Old 07-05-2014, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Random do-dads...

Window tint:rear windows only. Visor strip too.
Hard-wired radar detector:

Passport 8500 X50 w/blue LEDs

photo cc768f11-6ab1-4d7a-91ca-887c9c964879_zps0cc20ec5.jpg
Rally armor mud flaps:

photo 12ea266d-e7d9-43b8-9029-2665c6207400_zpsafcc7c44.jpg

AKA worm flaps. In some parts of Iowa in the spring when it rains every worm in the world wants to cross the street at the same time.

Custom vinyl seat covers:

photo IMG_1110_zpsc4d0674a.jpg

After grinding chocolate and snagging Velcro pocket flaps on them I went with seat covers I ordered at a NOPI show. Remember NOPI shows? Leather was too expensive,cold and slippery. Besides they look great! Fit TIGHT!

Last edited by Fidrat; 08-03-2014 at 07:26 AM. Reason: better pic.
#6 Old 07-06-2014, 03:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hella horns:Christmas 05, you guessed it,from brother. I had a hard time Finding a spot under the hood that never gets wet to mount the relay.The contact points inside the relay were always getting corrosion from getting wet. fianally, I found a spot near the battery.I wrapped it in black tape,mounted it and called it good.

Modding is going slow. Still paying for those rims & tires plus 3 summer trips to Calli (Got to hone my skills on those twisting mountain roads,US 299 will always have a special place in my heart.)with Car payments rent and such,on a $15.60hr factory job making car components, mostly radiator frames.

This went on until the car market started to take a downturn. in the summer of 06. The rest of the world didn't feel it until 08. I got laid off and took a 12hr day job at a shampoo bottle factory as a "pack lead" for $11.00hr. Believe it or not this was not my darkest hour. Still making payments at this point. I was living off raman noodles and PB&J. I could only take those 12hr days for 9months. A lot of those days turned to 15hr days as "pack lead" I was the guy in charge of temps who were only making $8.00hr. So I did the cheapest mod that did the most good. The intake silencer delete with the velocity stack in the fender and a K&N drop-in.
http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread...velocity+stack

As soon as I heard of a job opening at a factory just down the street for $13.30hr making car components again and 8hr days I bolted. After A year and a half I'd worked my way up to almost $14.00hr.

The car finally got paid off!!!

photo newcamera020_zps710ad882.jpg

Things were lookin' up! My battery went Kaput so I got me an Optima red top; I started to get that modding bug again.

Now for my darkest hour... I gotta' one/two punch to the gut and groin. The bottom dropped out of the auto industry, I got laid-off again and my Mom, the woman that got me into Japanese cars and changed her own oil until she was 70 was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She didn't make it.

Last edited by Fidrat; 07-06-2014 at 04:35 AM.
#7 Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That really sucks man. I'll be staying tuned for this read. It's a good one.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#8 Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I'm sitting here thinking what it might be like to wash dried out worm mush off one's car...

Nice seat covers!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#9 Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well,it doesn't rain every day. Life goes on,and so did I. Fast forward to 2012. I got a job making refrigerators. I moved into the house Mom left me with my cat and my long time girl friend and her '95 Mitsy 3000GT (money pit). Everything settled down and I was making money again.

Time to start looking at the Subie Rex again. By now the Kumhos are thread bare and I was riding on the snows. photo Picture006.jpg
Baby needs a new set of shoes. I got her some high-heels from Dunlop. Direzza Z1 Star Specs to be exact.

Every time I get a new set of tires I get an alignment. I asked my alignment guy to look for what was "clunkin' and bunkin'" in the back. Time for new end links. There was wear in holes of the rear ones and one of the fronts was just plain snapped!

Whiteline end links

photo IMG_1871_zps11b91560.jpg

photo SDC11466_zps3ba8e3a3.jpg

Last edited by Fidrat; 07-28-2014 at 11:36 PM.
#10 Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
This is a great read. Kinda like a suspense, it keeps me on the edge of my seat. Im sure you know and have fixed it by now but, I spy a crack in your CV boot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#11 Old 07-08-2014, 05:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
This is a great read. Kinda like a suspense, it keeps me on the edge of my seat. Im sure you know and have fixed it by now but, I spy a crack in your CV boot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Actually they are brand spankin' new! As of 03/24/14. What you're seeing is a waxy coat of mold release. They spray the mold with it like Pam cooking spray so they can get the part out of the mold. The weather just hasn't wore it off yet.

DANG! I've been working these factorys too long.

#12 Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

The next thing that needed help was my headlights. Back in April 03 I had just made my 1st payment so I did some overtime. It hailed that day at the factory (not at home) doing $1,800 in damage to my car.

I hadn't even switched over my insurance to State Farm. It still had the El-Cheapo insurance the dealer makes you get just to drive it off the lot. The brainless adjuster quoted $800 to repair thinking he could use PDR (paintless dent removal) to get out the dents.

Trouble is you can't use PDR on aluminum. $800 bucks barely paid for the hood. I had to come up with a grand to get it fixed. When I got the money together I took it to the worst body shop the world has ever known.

One of the many things they did wrong was get over spray on the headlights then clean them off with something that doesn't play well with plastic making them cloudy.

#13 Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

So now I got cloudy headlights. Yea,I know...There are a million products and methods that work very well at clearing your headlights. None of them worked,some made it worse! These products and methods were designed to clear headlights that are oxidized from age or wear and tear,not 'cause some Bozo wiped them down with mineral spirits. Trust me,after ten years of trying everything nothing worked but THIS!!!

photo IMG_2411_zps2d836b7a.jpg

MEGUIARS #17 & #10 Auto Plastic Cleaner & Plastic Polish: , Mothers PowerBall Mini (Even the companies own kit wont do as well) No wet sanding or any of that BS. Use the ball for the cleaner, a micro fiber towel and some elbow-grease for the polish and be on your way.However...This is not a permanent solution. It will gradually need to be done more the more you use it. After ten years of this I was doing it every few months. Time for new headlights.

#14 Old 07-30-2014, 04:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

New headlights. What I REALLY wanted was JDM projectors. But I couldn't come up with the 2,000 bars of gold pressed latinum needed to buy them. Most of the used ones look like junk and I just don't trust them. Also there is the rhd/lhd thing to deal with and you need a degree in astrophysics to install them.

So I went cheap. Spec-D $262.00 shipped.
 photo NewLights022_zps1396eb01.jpg

photo NewLights006_zps54f06c06.jpg

photo NewLights005_zps28b566e0.jpg

I got these in October 2012.The fitment was very good. A bead of closed-cell foam around the edges was a nice touch and I thought they looked great. THE LOVE STOPS NOW!!! More on this later I have to get ready for work.

Last edited by Fidrat; 08-28-2014 at 04:30 AM. Reason: spelling
#15 Old 08-03-2014, 01:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

These lights used vampire clips and cannibalized parts from the stock lights. If they worked out I was going to replace the clips with proper soldering. They didn't work out. I couldn't adjust the lights to match each other. So I did the best I could. The high beams were a sick joke! I put the best bulbs I could get my hands on in them and started to look for something else.

Spec-Ds
 photo NewLights020.jpg
Too bad, I thought they looked pretty good.

Spec-D brights photo IMG_0929_zpsb459383f.jpg
High beams? are you frigging kidding me?

Spec-D low beam photo IMG_0928_zps13d7ab1b.jpg
Low beams? Please...

Something else. Depo halogen projector JDM replicas.

photo IMG_1161_zps57ceed02.jpg
PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow H3 55W In the fogs.

photo IMG_1151_zpsdf8973ca.jpg
Depo JDM replicas. Low beams. That's better!

photo IMG_1147_zpsd0ed0f32.jpg
Depo JDM replicas. High beams. That's more like it!

I actually aimed them a bit higher but I am very satisfied.

I got rid of the DRLs like so...How To: Disable DRL 02-03 WRX - NASIOC And to get the lows to stay on with the highs (just like real JDMs) like this...How To: Easy 2002/03 Subaru WRX 4-HI Mod

Then I gave them a 12mm layer of Lamin-X protective film. I went with the sheet instead of the pre-cut ones 'cause ya' got'ta be purfect wit' te pre-cuts and I ain't. Also you got'ta wet down all around the area your working or you will get this.

photo IMG_1623_zpsb2e6c514.jpg

It stuck to the clear-coat and pulled it off like nuthin'.

I know...Everyone has a stiffy for HIDs but not me. Too complex,too expensive and too obnoxious to other drivers. I'm quite happy with my halogen projectors.

Last edited by Fidrat; 08-04-2014 at 12:58 AM.