Is my clutch dead? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-27-2008, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxshotta is on thin ice
Is my clutch dead?

So ever since ive had this car i noticed the clutch was just plain and simply rubbish, like for instance whenever ## taking off from a stop it gives a "shudder" instead of a nice smooth grip...lately my clutch pedal has been sticking down when i drive and loosing pressure i guess...the pedal feels softer and it sticks quite a bit and i sort of have to pump the clutch for it to come back, the car is not low on any fluids...should i just change my whole clutch assembly? or is it something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Is it a stock clutch or something grippier? Grippy cluthes "shutter" into position by their nature. This is the price you pay for greater power holding capability.

The petal sticking down is not related to the actual clutch. Sometimes the clutch master cylinder goes bad (dunno if that's the right term). It's a very common problem on those years.

The symptom of clutch failure is the car acting like it's not in gear once it's in gear. Specifically as you add more power. The test is to engauge the clutch at low RPMS and then accelerate through the power band. If the car suddenly feels like it just came out of gear at some point, then you know the clutch is starting to go. Another symptom is a lack of "meat" at the grip point. It often gives a feeling like you cannot tell where the actual connection point is. It's soft and vague and higher on the petal than it used to be.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 10-27-2008, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxshotta is on thin ice
mosc i really couldnt tell you what type of clutch was on there it doesnt feel like a grippey clutch at all...it doesnt slip just quite yet...but it does not feel as sharp as one should feel, even other wrx drivers hop in my car and the first thing they say is bro why is your clutch so weird. and yea the grip point does feel higher i just want to know whats up before i go spending a grand on replacement you know? i sort of know what a bad clutch feels like i just couldnt understand why the pedal was loosing tension and sticking down...so what do you suggest i do? my shop quoted me 1000 for a exedy organic with installation should i just take the car in and have them look at it?
#4 Old 10-28-2008, 01:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Probably not a bad idea, if you trust your dealer. It might be the clutch master cylinder and not the actual clutch. Thus, it might be a cheaper fix then replacing the clutch.
#5 Old 10-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Garage
heh, I think clutch master cylanders might actually cost more than clutches

Anyway, sounds to me like you bought a used car and the clutch on there is an agressive aftermarket one, something you're not used to dealing with. It doesn't mean that it's worn. That said, the previous owner made a mistake sticking it on there. It will add stress on your tranny since it's quicker to engage. Many people break their 5-speeds in your situation in short order.

#6 Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
it could be that the previous owner didn't have the flywheel resurfaced, that is usually what causes a shutter on take off.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#7 Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxracer03 is an unknown
Yeah that sounds like the master cylinder. Or you might have a problem with your synchros like what the 2002 models are notorious for. But more than likely that is the master cylinder.
#8 Old 11-11-2008, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

seanwrxwagon is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyhead View Post
it could be that the previous owner didn't have the flywheel resurfaced, that is usually what causes a shutter on take off.
Are you supposed to resurface the flywheel everytime you install a new clutch? I would imagine it is like brake rotors where it would be recomended.
#9 Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Garage
It is. You should. Yes.