my 2002 wrx - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Ok, I was just wondering. I just wanna do it right. This is why I get on here. I like to ask questions from people that have and drive the same car. So, I just it would be best to get the same stock heads. I just need another set because my heads have some cracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, you can always upgrade the EJ205 heads though.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #33 of 43 Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Kirt, What would be the best way to upgrade the heads? What should I use? .....And BTW, once my car is done I come and visit you. Your now that far from me.
post #34 of 43 Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well if you go with 205 heads then get the chamber machined to match the 2.5 bore and maybe a set of STi cams.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #35 of 43 Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Keith would know better than myself....seeing as how he runs a EJ205 just like you. Well, sorta...Keith's engine is pretty upgraded. But, you get the picture. Sure, we could meet up if you want. I see lots of Scoobs around here but don't talk to anyone that owns one.

Kirt
post #36 of 43 Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Okay I misread something didn't he get a ej257 shortblock? Kirt I'm using a 2.5L block with a 2.0L crank, so kind of not the same thing as a 205 haha...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #37 of 43 Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Keith, I wanted a EJ257 but I couldn't find one with the cash that I had to work with. I did find a EJ205 short block from a 2004 WRX that I will be using. I going to use some of my parts from my old engine, but I just wanted to know what I could do to it when I putting it back together that didn't cost a whole lot to make it hold the 20G turbo and the boost without messing the engine up again.
post #38 of 43 Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Kirt, I see a lot of Subbie's drive around the Hanover area as well and I never have a chance to talk to any of them as well. It would be nice to talk to some that drives one and besides my Subbie is the same color as yours, but just not as nice as yours.
post #39 of 43 Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrum23 View Post
Keith, I wanted a EJ257 but I couldn't find one with the cash that I had to work with. I did find a EJ205 short block from a 2004 WRX that I will be using. I going to use some of my parts from my old engine, but I just wanted to know what I could do to it when I putting it back together that didn't cost a whole lot to make it hold the 20G turbo and the boost without messing the engine up again.
Pistons and rods. A 20G is a large turbo for a 205.
post #40 of 43 Old 02-22-2012, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrum23 View Post
Ahh now that I have taken the time to reread the thread I have seen this. Best bet is as brfatal suggested, pistons and rods. A 20g is a rather larger turbo, but depending on the exhaust housing size TD05 vs TD06 you can still be a great street turbo. I would highly recommend a TD05 housing for a bit better spool on the 2L. Depending on tune and a few other factors your looking at max boost at or around 3700-4000 so keep that in mind as well.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #41 of 43 Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Will do. I do have some time before the moter will be done. I'm just wanna get all the right parts together first before I still putting the engine back together. That's why I come to this site to get help from people that drive these cars.
post #42 of 43 Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Keith....you know what. What I was thinking about was that you use EJ205 heads and some how forgot that you have the EJ25x shortblock with 2.0L crank. Must not have been thinking straight. Whoopsie.

Rickyrum: Yeah, I think scoobs are getting very popular in PA. I see EVOs around, but not nearly as much as scoobs. I swear I see a WRX at least once a day...normally more than one. I might go a whole week or longer until I see a EVO on the street. Unless I go to my tuner...lol, he always has a pack of EVOs there.

Kirt
post #43 of 43 Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Keith....you know what. What I was thinking about was that you use EJ205 heads and some how forgot that you have the EJ25x shortblock with 2.0L crank. Must not have been thinking straight. Whoopsie.

Rickyrum: Yeah, I think scoobs are getting very popular in PA. I see EVOs around, but not nearly as much as scoobs. I swear I see a WRX at least once a day...normally more than one. I might go a whole week or longer until I see a EVO on the street. Unless I go to my tuner...lol, he always has a pack of EVOs there.
Yeah I run 205 heads to avoid complexity...To be honest I didn't get the chamber machined either, but considering my set up I don't think it would make much difference. Now if the rods were longer then it would have.
Hey I have been thinking about a flame job though....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...