my 2002 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-01-2012, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
my 2002 wrx

Can someone help me with a question? I found out when I took my engine out of my 02' WRX that it needs to be replaced. I have a EJ20 2.0L and I found a good 99-2001 JDM 2.0L EJ206. Will that EJ206 fit into my 02' without any problems? and what's the difference between the EJ20 and the EJ206? Also, would I have to change anything around to make it fit. Any tips or suggestion would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The ECU will be different, I know that much.

Good luck

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
EJ206 is a Legacy motor. It's an AVCS motor and has higher compression. This is NOT plug and play. You'd either need to find a way to disable AVCS (harder than it sounds in reading) or you will need to replace your ECU and wiring harness.
#4 Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Brfatal,
ohh, ok! Thanks for that info. Im just trying to find something out there and that EJ206 was $1,200 with 55,000 miles on it. I don't wanna go through all of the trouble. I just want something that will go right in. Im just not having very good luck with finding a 2.0L EJ20 engine. that doesn't have a lot of miles on it and the right price. I don't mind paying, but not for something that has 150K -180K for 2,000+
#5 Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ask Keith on here (psinuse). He has a motor. Heck, even Cullen (wagonracer) has like 3 of em.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Not sure he'd want the one I've build(ing), but if you are interested in selling the heads off your motor we might be able to work something out...
If he's running a non-AVCS ECU then disabling it is not that hard, I mean if your going from a non to AVCS and want to use AVCS then it's a pain or if you have an AVCS ECU and want to disable it would also be a pain.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#7 Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Psinuse,
No, Im just looking for options. I wasn't sure if a EJ206 would work or not, but If I have to do this and that to it; just to get it to work than I will just leave my hands off of that one. I'm just looking for either a EJ20 short block or if someone had a complete engine for sale, than I would b e interested in it. Do you or do you know of anyone that is selling a engine that would work in my 02 WRX?
Thanks,
Ricky
#8 Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
FYI, the stock 02 WRX engine is called an 'EJ205'. But I'm confused here, are your heads in good shape or not? If they are, there are a lot of shortbock options. I would suspect the EJ206 shortbock would work with the EJ205 heads though you'll need to research that. If your heads need to be replaced, that ties much more with the ECU/harness and you'll have a more complex choice if you can't find another EJ205 but if your heads are still good, you have other choices by making a hybrid.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#9 Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The only way you're getting plug and play is if you keep your heads and replace the shortblock. Any shortblock other than a stock replacement will require a tune and possibly larger injectors + fuel pump, but that's a minor sacrifice.
#10 Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Garage
You know, I think the EJ205 shortblock was basically a complete copy of the EJ206 now that I think about it. They just gave the USDM model a different top end to deal with emissions, lower octane gas, etc. Now you have me interested to dig into that.

#11 Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well it is a twin turbo motor so higher compression, higher RPM abilities, forged internals and a semi closed block(pretty sure but not completely) and since it's a phase 2 block it should pretty much be a plug and play if you bolt the old heads on to it. Minor tweaking on the tune to take advantage of the extra goodies and he might need bigger injectors, you could get away with stock, but it would be pushing it a bit.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 02-02-2012, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You know, I think the EJ205 shortblock was basically a complete copy of the EJ206 now that I think about it. They just gave the USDM model a different top end to deal with emissions, lower octane gas, etc. Now you have me interested to dig into that.
Knowing Subaru I doubt it. They like to complicate things. Even the JDM EJ205 is completely different from the US version.
#13 Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Mosc,
Yeah, I was messing around a little with the motor today. I pulled off the left side of the head and you can see that there is a hairline crack in it. Plus on top of the same cylinder there is a chip out of it and I don't really know how it got there. It totally blew a chunk out of that head gasket. Someone was telling me that I was running too much Boost and thats why it happened. It's a stock engine with a 20G godspeed turbo. Plus, if you find out anymore info about the EJ206 then left me know.
Thanks,
Ricky
#14 Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM

Garage
Well sounds like your heads are shot. You should look into a used EJ205. If you want to try something fancy, you can try to find one with a problem in the shortblock and steal just it's heads and save a few bucks. If you had some good EJ205 heads, you could select a wide variety of shortblocks. Or just find an entire EJ205...

Everything I find on the EJ206 is either vague or in Japanese.

#15 Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Ask Keith on here (psinuse). He has a motor. Heck, even Cullen (wagonracer) has like 3 of em.
I'm pretty much out of extra stuff, except for some spare little items which I'll sell with my car. I'm seriously thinking about letting it go soon (for under 8 grand !) and getting a 2012. Now that might be worth PM'ing about

anybody in new england ?

Cullen