Muffler Shop making my exhaust. Pro? Con? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-25-2003, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mattr762 is an unknown
Muffler Shop making my exhaust. Pro? Con?

I was talking to my dad tonight about cars. I told him how much the uppipe and turbo-back cost for the WRX. He just had his truck redone and paid $200 for dual exhaust (labor included). He thinks I should take my REX to the shop and get an estimate. What kind of issues will I run into and why should I not have them do it if the price is right?

Use it or lose it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-25-2003, 06:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

WagonRex is an unknown
I doubt most exhaust shops have even seen a WRX of any type....yet.

Trucks are easy to do exhaust on , Our cars are WAY different. I'd just rather buy a proven exhaust system....then have some hick muffler shop do "trial and ERROR" on my car.

Just my .02
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2003, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mattr762 is an unknown
I appreciate your two cents, but lets hypithetically say that this guy is no Hick and does really great work. He has a mandrel bender and is a master welder. Then would you consider it?

Some other points I was thinking about are:
I really challenge the statement that (not all but some) these exhaust companies do any true scientific research. I'm willing to bet that all the aftermarket companies that make exhaust for the WRX did not pour millions in to R&D. This companies just don't have that much cash.

Case and Point 1:
If Subaru spent so much time on R&D then why is it so restrictive? And don't say because of emissions, they could have taken that into account and still had a high output exhaust that meet emission standards.

Case and Point 2:
Turbo Magazine compared 12 different cat-backs systems(Seen here). The most expensive system (M2) has the lowest HP/TQ in all categories. What kind of research did they do? I would think that if everyone did R&D they would be coming up with a much more similar results.

Case and point 3:
Many, many people are extremely happy with the quality and performance of the absolutely cheapest uppipe/downpipe there is (HKS). What make the $285 M2 uppipe any better than the $152 HKS?

Case and point 4:
A 20 degree mandrel bend wouldn't be any more or less restrictive than a 19 or 21 degree bend and the placement of the bend give or take an inch or two should not matter either.

Case and point 5:
Whats the worst that could happen? I don't get peak HP? So, I lose maybe 5 HP. It's worth it to me if I can get it for $500-$700 cheaper.

These are my thoughts and I'm might be wrong on all of these points. Please, by all means prove me wrong.

Use it or lose it!
post #4 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 12:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

JOHN is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to JOHN
Well Mattr762, it sounds like your mind is already made-up.... Let us know how it works out for you when your done.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-26-2003, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mattr762 is an unknown
No, No! You guys are suppost to talk me out of it!

Besides the flange issue with the turbo what problem could I run into?

I ask this question before, just want to make sure I get an answer:
What make the $285 M2 uppipe any better than the $152 HKS?

Use it or lose it!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-28-2003, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

tommy is an unknown
where did you see an HKS uppipe for $152?
I can't answere your questin because i'm wondering myself but i just ordered the HKS downpipe last week for $155, all the other downpipes i saw were $350 or more
i figured HKS is a respectible company It has to be almost as good right?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2003, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

mackal69 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to mackal69
well for arguements sake we all know that companies borrow each other's technology and sometimes the bigger the company the cheaper they are able to offer a certain product because of the other income coming in from other products. For example Walmart, v. your local drug store. Alot of times Walmart is cheaper sometimes its more. In my business (Cosmetology School) we buy various nail products and usually the company that spent all the money to do the research has initially the highest cost, then soon afterwards other companies will take the knowledge ad their two cents worth, and because they just studied the other companies work they had spare money to invest in further research and design therefore able to sell the products cheaper. So thats where u as a consumer needs to do your research, and yes its true sometimes more money isn't better, however, alot of times u get what u pay for. So it other word the buyer must beware.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-17-2003, 11:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

turbine is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to turbine
I was planning on doing the same thing myself Matt. I think that a big problem would be the guy making a good duel flow exhaust discharge for the wastegate and the turbine. It is very complex and the sensors need to fit also. I'm tring to contract a welder or someone who would could do this. So far i've has no luck.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-18-2003, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mattr762 is an unknown
turbine,

I have the perfect solution for the exhaust discharge. It's a low cost hi flow divorsed wastegate product from APS that hooks up perfectly to the turbo. The diagram below is what I'm going to do. It seems like the perfect solution to me. Full turboback with divorsed wastegate for around $400. You can't beat that!

Use it or lose it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement