Motor Swap Questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-06-2008, 03:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

Scout2232 is an unknown
Motor Swap Questions

Hello I'm very new here, like 2 hours new... haha. I've been searching around so far kinda glancing through some threads that look like they are what I'm looking for. Problem is, I'm not a Subaru guy, as in I don't really know much about them. Although I have always liked them I think they look cool and sound cool and have always kinda wanted one.

So here's my question:
I am looking at a 2002 Impreza 2.5RS (automatic) The person selling says the motor is garbage, it over heated or something like that so I was thinking a motor swap would be the easiest and cheapest route to getting it running.

Now like I said I really don't know anything about them because this is kind of spur of the moment thing, but the end result of what I am looking for is a nice daily driver with some nice power. I was thinking about maybe swapping in a stock 2.0L wrx motor (with turbo) in there, but I don't know if the tranny would mate up with the 2.0L. Then I came across something about a hybrid motor, 2.5Lblock with 2.0L heads.

Like I said, I'm new and very open to suggestions on how to make this easy. I would like to have decent power for a daily driver as cheap as possible. Please spare no details on what I'm going to need, ie ecu/wiring harness and motor/turbo stuff. I have access to all tools necessary and am fully capable of doing this kind of stuff. I would just like to be pointed in a good direction with some ideas of what I should get.

Thanks!

P.S.
I posted in the cyl head and shortblock section, but I figured you guys would know a lot about it in this section as well. Any and all help appreciated!

sorry moderators if I am breaking the rules I am just looking for the knowledge base and wasn't sure if I should post in this or the other section, move/delete the thread accordingly if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
Not sure about the RS but with the WRX the 2.0 and 2.5 are interchangable so I would assume it would be the same since with the RS.

Wiring I am not sure of.

You can pick up a new short block from a dealership for around 1600. I got mine from renickmotorsports.com it was shipped VIA UPS for only about $50.

Heads I am un sure if there is a difference between the RS and WRX.

sure I am missing other things and lacking info on what I have typed but should get you started.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#3 Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

MilesFox is an unknown
chances are the motor has a blown head gasket. you can swap on the 2.0 heads and turbos and all that onto the same block, or just swap in a complete wrc motpr.

the engine bellhousing would be the same to mate withthe tranny, just swap over the otque converter and related.

i myself havent gotten my hands dirty on the newer stuff, but withthe older stuff i have dome 4wd conversions from 2wd automatic, to 4wd 5spds, retrofit of driveline and suspension into previous generation, and countless timing belt and head gaskets.

subarus are like legos(i invented thet phrase) so if you have an idea then you can put it together withthe right combination of parts
#4 Old 03-06-2008, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
You will need the wiring harness as well to make the complete engine swap. Everything else should bolt right up, although to make things easier, find a wreck WRX or STi that what you know you have all the parts to do the swap that would be the easiest way.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Scout2232 is an unknown
I think that's what I want to do, basically take the whole powerplant and wiring harness from a WRX and put it in there.

So do I need a torque converter from the WRX or can I keep the one that is in the RS?

Also how much do you think that would be to get all that stock WRX stuff? And would I need the WRX ecu as well? I want to do this as easy as possible.
#6 Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
To be safe I would just use the WRX tranny for simplicity sake. Yes you'll need the WRX ECU as well.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#7 Old 03-07-2008, 04:32 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
if you use WRX heads, you'll want the WRX ECU

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD