Subaru WRX Forum banner

Motor Build

10K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  sleepr 
#1 ·
What do you guys think of this package? seperatly I think I was able to shave like $50 but might just be easier to get it all at once like this.

BuiltEJ :: 02-05 WRX :: Engine :: Rotating assembly :: WRX/STI STG II Rotating Assembly

Block 2.0l WRX
Crankshaft 79 mm OEM (+$395.00)
Bearings Cosworth (+$185.00)
Rods H TUFF ARP 2000 (+$379.00)
Pistons Manley (+$479.00)
Bore size 92 mm (2.0) or 92.5 mm (2.0)
Wrist Pin STD
Compression Ratio 8.0:1

total - $1443

#2 ·
BuiltEJ is a good supplier and I've worked with them.

It's better to buy them as a package to avoid sourcing a potentially wrong item. Pistons are different for the 79mm stroke crank (EJ257 motor) than they are for the 75mm stroke crank (EJ205 motor). Rods are the same length.

A 79mm crank in a 2.0L block makes a 2.2L stroker motor, so you need stroker pistons for it.

#3 ·
Manley makes OTS pistons for the stroker motor...can't for the life of me remember the part number..Also factory STi rods can handle a crap ton of abuse and can be had for $100-150.

#4 ·
I couldn't find any new STi rods.... as those were what I was going to get.

I figured if I order the 79mm crank then the pistons that were sent would work since it is a package. When I go to order I will have that checked.

I plan on doing the build myself. I take pride in knowing the inside of my car and that all mods were done by my hands.

#5 · (Edited)
BuiltEJ has STi rods for sale, and these are usually used items surplus from someone else upgrading to billet rods for a sturdier build. http://www.builtej.com/home.php

They are tough items, interchangeable with the WRX items, and a huge value if bought used like this from a reputable shop/supplier. They are too expensive new, and arguably not much better.

I bought my STI rods from a car Club mate, and use them in my WRX motor (EJ205).

#7 ·
Got a few quotes from a few different places. Seeing if my performance shop can beat any of them before I decide. Added a few things and it is looking to be around 2100-2300 in parts.

#10 ·
Yeah I will save my money and probably opt for something else.

I talked to my tuner and he if very excited with what I choose. He said that will be more than pleased with my end result so I can't wait!!

I think I am going to have the block, heads, valve covers, intake manifold and altenator casing powder coated while I am at it.

#12 ·
I have a local buddy who has a very similar build as mine...

GTX 3076 .82, rotated, forged internals, FMIC, similar cams, etc.

Except, he has stock intake and exhaust manifolds and he is making significantly more torque than I am. I have a Cosworth reversed intake manifold and GT Spec UEL headers and I'm making lots more horsepower than he is.

What's more important to you?

#18 ·
Ok so now my question goes out to all the DIY builders out there!!

I am pretty good with cars. Have done a lot of things. I have yet to build an engine though. My best friend, Brother from another mother, has gone to UTI and built an EJ20 (and other crate engines, etc) an modded it in Super street. Now works at a Mercedes dealership tearing down engines, transmissions, interior, blah blah. He also has an 09 wrx himself that he will be building up himself in a few months.

ANYWAYS! He wants to help me build my block. I recently came into a sponsorship with Manley Performance and they are pushing for me to get it professional built. Its not required with my sponsorship but highly recommended.

What do you guys think? Build it myself but send it out to get machined an stuff. OR get it all done professionally? Its just that $1200 could be put towards so many other things.... Hmmmm

#19 ·
I'll admit that I have no experience with sponsorships. However, I wonder if you could use your Manley Performance sponsorship as a "carrot" to obtain sponsorships from other vendors and shops (like an engine builder). I would lean towards an engine builder that would want to maintain a relationship with me (and my engine). However, I have built a Chevy big block in my parent's garage with a friend before, and it was a great experience to share with each other! Tough decision...

#22 ·
Its a low level sponsorship. I am completely grateful for them actually considering me even in the slightest bit. I guess I sent the right email @ the right time and the right person saw it. I had sent about 50 emails to a bunch of different companies on my current build. Informing them who i was and what i was doing. At this point its running me close to $7k on my long block build and that's after all of my discounts.

#23 ·
@GSMNZ
Your build sounds bullet proof and congrats on the sponsorship. I live in Texas, there is a shop in North Texas (AWDTuning), I got a quote from him on a proffesional build EJ25 Stage II 500whp/500wtq for $3600. I got a quote on the stage II build, port polish heads, anll installed and protuned for $7500.

#24 ·
My build is looking as follows:

79mm sti crank
Manley rods
Manley Pistons
King Bearings
Manley Exhaust and Intake Valves
Manley Valve Springs/Retainer kit
Cometic Full Gasket
11mm Oil Pump
ARP Head Bolts
BC Stage 2 Cams
Gates Racing Timing kit/Water Pump
Competition Valve Job
Port/Polish Heads
Lighten Crank and Alternator pulley
Bore/Hone to 93mm
Deck Block
Resurfaced Heads

...I think that is it

Oh and then a break in tune followed by the final tune after break in period is over.

@ECS Performance!!

#28 ·
They are going to be exactly the same size. Just lightened. And I will have the first set on my car. Second set on my friends 09 wrx. After that I will final everything.

There might even be a contest to get a set. Something like who guesses closest to what my build will clock in for HP / TQ. But we will see how this all goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.