The mother of motors - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-14-2005, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

slug1 is an unknown
The mother of motors

My buddy and I came up with the ultimate WRX motor if time and money weren't invovled.

Enjoy . . .

Actually, if it were me, I would put the 2.2 stroker in a 2.2 block (closed deck vs open deck, piston squirters), sleeve the block, go with JDM v7 STi heads, high lift long duration cams, and build an undersquare high revving 2.3 is what it worked out to. I would go with custom long rods and JE 8.5:1 pistons, built 5spd dog-box (clutchless shifting, barely streetable). TWM 50mm throttle bodies (4), dual blow throw air boxes, twin GT2835s, dual intercooled.

I figure the displacement would be something like this, a closed deck 2.2 legacy block has a bore of 96.9mm, id close that up to 96 for a stronger wall to go with retarded boost. The stroker crank, along with the 2.5 crank, has a 79 mm stroke. pi r squared X stroke X 4 Roughly a 2.3 litre (2.289)

Using the Legacy block will give you more deck heighth, so you could run a longer rod (same dimensions as 2.5 STI, but the STI is open deck), basically I would go 1.5mm over on the rods, custom.... the longer it is, the higher it will rev, it reduces piston speed and works perfect in combination with a good turbo. The stroke would remain 79, but the rod length would go up, the wrist pin on the piston would move higher and compression ratio would be 8.0 or 8.5:1, using JDM STI v7 heads, to flow more. TWM's with custom flowing airboxes to flow retarded boost easily. Twin GT2835s, the GT28 would be too slow spooling, or twin GT25s, but the 2835 is a quick spooler. Or maybe just a single T88D.

As far as turbo options..... well, anything you throw at a motor like that, it would be able to handle. Its the best of everything and overkill in every area. Probably about 500hp reliable daily driver beating, with the capability of 800-900... more if you closed up the bores even more and put some heavy duty sleeves in it.

Oh, and most stroker kits are just reworked 2.5 litre cranks with some strengthening. The reason it only works out to 2.2 in an EJ20, is because the EJ20 has smaller bores (92mm), that and a lower deck height (if I'm not mistaken) than the bigger motors, so you get a short rod combo, great for torque, but not SUPER high boost... still, it'll take more than a stock crank ever will, but the wear on the block will be horrendous.

Here are some specs of the 3 motors I talked about

EJ20: Bore 92mm x Stroke 75mm
EJ22: Bore 96.9mm x Stroke 75mm
EJ257: Bore 99.5mm x Stroke 79mm

Cobb, Jun, Tommy Kaira stroker kits: Forged 92mm pistons, forged 79mm crank

Oh, and might you consider ESX for stroker kits, they have a 740hp model you can buy..... check it out http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0301tur_ej20/

Or the axis 2.4 litre motor. Its a 2.2 or 2.5 block, using a custom 2.5l crank (79MM stroke) and its sleeved.... this motor is made for retarded amounts of boost. http://www.axispowerracing.net/engine.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-14-2005, 10:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
why not use the crawford 2.8l closed deck and sleved block? you can just call em up and they will send it to you. much easier IMO.

btw, the "mother of all motors" is a nitro breathing keith black hemi! 7000+ hp and god knows how much TQ! ...and they work!
post #3 of 9 Old 10-14-2005, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
that, and there is just something really cool about massive positive displacement superchargers, and cars that are direct drive.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
what about big turboed H6?

...just an idea
post #5 of 9 Old 10-20-2005, 11:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti
what about big turboed H6?

...just an idea
yess...... YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUUHAHAHHAAHAHAH!!!

Only if you keep it in the Outback Sedan
post #6 of 9 Old 10-24-2005, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
How about... 3.3L H6 with twin GT35Rs?
Attached Images

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
post #7 of 9 Old 10-24-2005, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

GetUpInDer is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by knot04
why not use the crawford 2.8l closed deck and sleved block? you can just call em up and they will send it to you. much easier IMO.

btw, the "mother of all motors" is a nitro breathing keith black hemi! 7000+ hp and god knows how much TQ! ...and they work!

And the winner is....................
post #8 of 9 Old 10-24-2005, 03:52 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by T WREX
How about... 3.3L H6 with twin GT35Rs?

Which is now for sale...
post #9 of 9 Old 10-24-2005, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
I saw it for sale too. I saw this car at Nopi Nationals in Atlanta this September and it's beautifully done. Not sure on what they were still working on to get it finished, but I sure hope that someone with the funding is able to finish it with the attention that this car deserves.

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor