more hp from stage 2? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-22-2009, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
more hp from stage 2?

For starters i have a 97gsx im building for drag racing so thats my go fast car.
but my daily driver is a 04 wrx with Drop in filter, Catless upipe, TBE, xpt stage 2 tune. What can i do to get a little more outa my car im not looking to uprage the turbo on my dd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2009, 06:24 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Grab up a 3port BCS (like the Grimmspeed unit) and get it installed with a tune. It will allow for a quicker spool, allow you to hold boost higher and longer. You could also PnP the stock turbo for a little more also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Fuel mods, bigger intercooler, and maybe a turbo inlet pipe. Beyond the 3-port. That's about all I know...unless you want to PnP your intake mani, PnP the turbo, delete the TGVs, and add phenolic intake manifold spacers. Thats about all I can think of.
#4 Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
external wastegate, meth injection, bigger intercooler, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, turbo inlet, lightweight driveshaft, lightweight rims, protune
#5 Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
EWG does add power, but at a cost of being very annoying. IMHO. Good luck at getting a lightweight driveshaft for cheap. If theres even a aftermarket for it. Meth isn't a good option on a DD IMHO. You can buy a cheap kit. But, to do it right....it isn't cheap. Plus, count on carrying meth around. Just in case you run low. So, you can do this stuff. But, some of it comes at a cost.

If you haven't heard a EWG in person. Don't do it, unless you know the gains will out weigh the noise factor for you personally.
#6 Old 11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
How about a pre-fabbed or diy intercooler water spray kit? Pre-fabbed or diy hood scoop air splitter? Carbon fiber doors? Light weight lug nuts? Heat wrapping/coating exhaust piping? A turbo blanket? You can also remove random things to save weight.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
E85 Ftw

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#8 Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

ELHs? Yeah, its more of a tq mod. But, it will help hp curve eventually.
#9 Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
EWG does add power, but at a cost of being very annoying. IMHO. Good luck at getting a lightweight driveshaft for cheap. If theres even a aftermarket for it. Meth isn't a good option on a DD IMHO. You can buy a cheap kit. But, to do it right....it isn't cheap. Plus, count on carrying meth around. Just in case you run low. So, you can do this stuff. But, some of it comes at a cost.

annoying is a matter of opinion, i get alot of pleasure out of my EWG, especially with my stock catback....it screams only when i want it to... there is a market for a lightweight driveshaft, ive seen a couple for about 700 used. meth is relatively cheap for the gains, especially the torque gains, if done right, meth can make your motor run cleaner and healthier.. and the meth only gets used when you get on the gas, and a warning light can let you know when your running low... there are even failsafe program which cut to wastegate boost pressure when the meth is out. i was just throwing around options for someone who doesnt want to do a turbo swap
#10 Old 11-23-2009, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The cf driveshafts are $1k+. The aluminum ones are only ~$450. I actually have one (aluminum) for sale, but I don't really want to ship it. It was one of my favorite mods, though.

I agree with paulie about meth injection. Even considering the cost, I the gains are worth it.
#11 Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, opinions are like a holes. Everyone has one. That's why I said, it'd be in the best interest to hear a ewg setup before anyone considers just buying it for a quicker spool and a tad of a hp bump for a couple hundred dollars.

Ask a tuner about meth. I asked mine. Its hands down just a P.I.T.A. unless you like to constantly check stuff and carry around meth to fill it up. He said most of the kits on the market are not going to be worth adding to a car. That unless you go big and get have all the bells and whistles set-up with fail safes, low light indicators, and the ability to change the map when the meth runs out. Other wise your playing with fire. But, he did admit like everyone on here knows. It will help lower the temps and you can squeeze out some more HP. The thing is....When you take a corner hard and lets say in theory your meth is sorta on the low side. Maybe it doesn't flow enough or you tank burps and doesn't get any meth for a bit. What happens to your engine then? I mean at 3k rpms or higher, how many cylinders just went meth starved for a few ingnition cycles? Its the same issue, with running your gas tank below a 1/4 tank on a high flow fuel pump. Its not good, in the long run. No, one stops and thinks about the serious repercussions of a failure.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#12 Old 11-25-2009, 03:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Lots of people have gotten as much gains from meth/water injection as they would have by upgrading to a significantly bigger turbo, and that's without ANY of the downsides (lag, fuel demands). Sure an aquamist kit is expensive, but not any more than a 20g or other upgraded turbo, and I think that's a fair comparison (in terms of cost). If you don't mind used parts, you could also pick up a decent kit with failsafe and everything for less than $500.

Some people like to be told what part to buy next, have it installed, and forget about it. Meth/water injection is not like that. You need to know what you are doing. Most people do little to no research, and it bites them in the butt later. No surprise there. If you are one of those people, then yeah, forget about it. If you're not, it would be a shame to overlook such a promising mod.
#13 Old 11-25-2009, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

i agree with you wrxed, meth can provide really great gains, similar to a race gas tune.. the best way to use meth is with a bigger turbo, this way the turbo can run more boost. the stock td04 isnt really efficient at such high psi levels
#14 Old 11-25-2009, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

To each their own. Its not something I want to worry about on a daily basis or everytime I get in my car. Not, for a dd or weekend driver car. I check enough things on my car regularly and have enough on my plate. That I don't need another thing to contribute to what I do in a days time. In the end, I was just making the point. That it needs to be done right.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#15 Old 11-28-2009, 12:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
thanks for the input guys and does a EWG sound like a open o2 dump becuase i have one on my gsx and its really loud under full spool