Subaru WRX Forum banner

moisture and water into the CAI, uh-oh:(

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  REXronald 
#1 ·
Installed Bomz Racing CAI. sits down in the fender where intake silencer used to be. First day of driving in very wet and snowey conditions. I arrived home from work and examined the 3 flare intakes in the fender. Shining bright flashlight through them reveals a limited view of the intake filter and portion of chrome tube. The tube is clearly dabbled w/water droplets and a few noticeable drops on the top of the filter. So clearly, i'm intaking water. I was told some small amounts of water will evaporate pretty instantly in the heat of the engine, but I'm concerned. How bad is this truly??? What if i shield the 3 flares from the filter so they can't directly allow spray of water onto the filter OR what if i were to seal the 3 flares off, can CAI still get air, from where though? The wonderful WHOOSHHHH!! noise the car has made since silencer was replaced w/CAI just did not seem quite as loud tonight. But of course, the wet road noise from the rear of vehicle is pretty loud and noticeable. (need to buy some dynomat)

thanks for your honest opinions and dissemination of knowledge regarding this engine issue.

note: I used black duc-tape to thoroughly seal off the bottom of the fender area-- it should receive minimal water through here (i hope).

And doesn't the bottom flare feed straight through the bottom of the fender to the brakes/wheel area? Or is that intaking water to the CAI too?

Man i don't wanna take the CAI off, even if i can modify the stock by cutting it out and using K&N. Rats!

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure how much it rains out there in Ohio, but you might want to consider taking the CAI off for the rainy season. You're probably not going to be pulling in too much moisture to cause damage, but do you really want to take the risk?

#3 ·
problem solved

I agree, not worth risk for water into engine... but the problem is now solved... the rain is just too unpredictable in Ohio, and snow 4 months out of year also... I just ordered a K&N Drycharger... its a specially designed sock sort of thing that fits over the CAI filter head... it allows high air flow while repelling water! how cool is that? Kind of pricey, at $50,,, but i say its well worth it for the peace of mind and keeps my CAI up and running... what a waste to remove the CAI 3 days after i got it... the added engine response is noticeable... and the chrome inside the engine looks cool too... so for $50, my probs are solved...

just to inform,, i bought some nice snow tires this year and she drives in deep snow like a champ... never faultering... i pass guys in 4 wheel drive trucks and sport utilities,, and they all look at me like i'm some crazy dude in a sports car w/a deathwish... if they only knew...;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.