Mods that i need when upgrading turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

xspeed9190 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to xspeed9190
Question Mods that i need when upgrading turbo

So i have read the forums and i kinda have an idea of what i need but i just want a striagh forward answer.
A friend is giving me a vf34. Now i have full turbo back 3 inch exhaust and new uppipe.
im going ot need.
i think it was the pink sti injectors and the walboro 255 fp...what else is needed i wanna do this right.
thanks guys
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

jstalford is an unknown
You'll need some sort of engine management if you dont have some already. Then a sti or larger TMIC. You can search and find a bunch of information about supporting mods for that turbo.
#3 Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

xspeed9190 is an unknown
ok cool.... i figured there would be no better place to do research then to ask the people who do it themselves.
i dont have em yet but i figured id get it done with the new turbo
so
injectors (any sugestions what type and where from)
warlboro FP (a model num would be great)
new / sti (tmic)
EM
lets keep this list going fellaz
#4 Old 05-02-2008, 10:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

seanwrxwagon is more helpful than not
There is not much else to say. EM, injectors, bigger Tmic(optional) fuel pump(optional). I would suggest both the Tmic and Fuel pump to maximize your gains and provide a bit of safety. Injectors in the range of 650 cc-750 cc should work well with a bit of head room. STi pinks will also work but have less left to give. I have a accessport with a protune for EM. You can also go opensource if you are comfortable tuning yourself.
All of this can be sourced at any of a number of online stores such as scoobytuner.com , fastwrx.com, oakos.com, etc.
#5 Old 05-03-2008, 09:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

xspeed9190 is an unknown
i was wrong is the vf39.. whats the diffirence between that and the stock wrx turbo.
i mean faster spool, higher boost
#6 Old 05-03-2008, 10:59 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The WRX comes with a TD04, very small. The vf39 is nothing big either, but has a much more capable top end of the WRX stocker.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 05-03-2008, 11:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

xspeed9190 is an unknown
about EM...i have been hearing conflicting answers. Do u buy a unit then get it pro tuned or can i got to a shop and they charge xxx.xx an hour to tune it with their equipment. I ask this cause my friend swares i need to buy Cobb AP or utech then i take it to a shop and pay them to tune it .. i would rather not buy a 700-1k unit and just pay people to tune my car.

o and is the vf39 even worth my time if its not much diff from my stock wrx turbo
and how much power can i go on the stock AT

thanks for ## input guys
Nick
#8 Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
First you should decide what your goal HP wise is for your car, and then look for a turbo(s) that can get you there. You dont necessarily have to have an AP, Utec or opensource, or whatever else you might want to. Tuners can flash directly over your stock map, but then that is the "problem" cant just go right back to stock if you wanted or needed to like with other devices. Read about EM in the corresponding forum, all kinds of info to be read and learned there.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
#10 Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

thack03 is an unknown
if you are still getting the vf39 and wanna skip to the vf30/34 i would go with bigger injectors then the sti pinks, and if you wanna sell the vf39 lemme know, dthack528@gmail.com

Last edited by thack03; 07-22-2008 at 02:17 AM. Reason: forgot something
#11 Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Trinity54 is an unknown
i've never used the vf39 before.but tried both the vf30 and 34.its boring to be honest.
if yours is a 2.0L , go a td05 16G big.the experience of having a 16G right after a stock td04 will blow your mind away.
on top of that , get your fuel pump , bigger tmic and injectors ready.
oh ya and in some cases big doesnt really mean better.stay below 700cc injectors.i've seen many running big injectors and having difficulty to get the right tune and ran into idling problems.
as for em , you can try opensource tune.shouldnt be too pricey as compared to ecutek or those stand-alones.
but if budget allows , you should try either hydra , hks fcon or motec.
#12 Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
mmmmmmmm...... a hydra

A vf39 will not offer a whole lot more than your stocker. If you don't want a lot of turbo lag get it. But me personally, I would step up to at least a 16g.
#13 Old 07-26-2008, 02:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
16g's are spendy and it sounds like he is only doing this to utilize the free VF39 he's being given. The VF39 will definately give more performance than your stock turbo. The other option is to sell the VF39 and put that toward a setup described above. Just don't tell your friend you sold it.

If you do want to run it, then as said above, your supporting mods should look like this:
(done inexpensively)

*STI pink injectors (you can also just get these modded to higher flow, I don't know what that costs though.)
*A Wahbro 255 fuel pump
*A used STI Topmount
*A used unmarried Accessport

THe AP will allow you to quickly shift maps, as said above. You can swap between your tuner's custom map, a fuel econo map for road trips, and revert back to stock when you sell all by yourself, and it's real easy.
#14 Old 07-26-2008, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Just do yourself a favor and port the VF-39, send it out for a P&P and it will perform much better.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#15 Old 07-26-2008, 05:09 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Here's a list of things I would have for a VF34 or similar upgrade to an 02 WRX in addition to the turbo:

-Catless up-pipe
-Bellmouth downpipe
-Larger TMIC
-Larger Injectors (depends on turbo size)
-Fuel pump
-Boost Control Solenoid
-Cobb/SPT intake or removing the Silencer and using a better filter on the stock intake
-An appointment with a tuner along with whatever EM software/hardware they plan to use.
-A savings fund for your new gears started.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD