Modification advise - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Serdar is an unknown
Oh right, what cc will you guys recommend and what brand. In saying that is the turbo smart fpr800 fuel regulator going to be enough or do I need to go higher? Thanks for all the advice guys I'm
Currently getting it all together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
That stock intake is absolutely a restriction. If his intake is the same one we have then he would have benefited from one on a stock turbo, nevermind an AVO 500, which is the size of a Dom 1.5 XT. That turbo is overkill for the car though, and your power number seem low for how much boost you're making.
Wasn't there a guy on here a few years back with a VF22 powered EJ205 that couldn't find a replacement filter for his fancy dancy intake? My memory is he put the stock one on and it worked just as well. I'm sure the silencer was deleted though. Still, I don't think the 02-07 intake is a restriction once you take the silencer out. I remember some 330-ish whp dyno sheets with the stock intake.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#18 Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Wasn't there a guy on here a few years back with a VF22 powered EJ205 that couldn't find a replacement filter for his fancy dancy intake? My memory is he put the stock one on and it worked just as well. I'm sure the silencer was deleted though. Still, I don't think the 02-07 intake is a restriction once you take the silencer out. I remember some 330-ish whp dyno sheets with the stock intake.
Yeah I'd say your right 320ish is the highest I've seen on a stock 2.0..

Serdar I would say 850 minimum for your car and that turbo...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#19 Old 08-14-2012, 04:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You can run the stock intake with more powerful setups. You can keep making more power up until you max out the MAF voltage on the stock housing. That's not the issue. The problem would be that it increasingly becomes a hindrance to your results. Those 330 whp stock intaked 20Gs would be making closer to 350.

And you are correct that the largest part of the restriction is the silencer. There is still power to be had by replacing the entire box, but a silencer delete is a great start if your model has the one.
#20 Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Serdar is an unknown
Thanks for all that, iv decided to go with 1000cc injectors and change the standard intake to
A cai with a k&n pod filter. Turbosmart BOV plum back anything else I should be looking at
#21 Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
1000 would be overkill honestly...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#22 Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serdar View Post
Thanks for all that, iv decided to go with 1000cc injectors and change the standard intake to
A cai with a k&n pod filter. Turbosmart BOV plum back anything else I should be looking at
Talk to whoever will be tuning your car. They may have you go with an intake with an oversized MAF housing instead.

1,000 cc and up you may run into idle issues and random misfires. It's hit or miss. I ran 1,000s but car runs more smoothly with the 850s I'm current on.
#23 Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Serdar is an unknown
Is there really a big difference from 750 to 850? Also I'm just after the max possible results for my setup. I will make contact with my new tuner today and let you all know what he has to say
#24 Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You having it tuned on E85 or Premium gas ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#25 Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I think 750s are fine. That turbo is entirely too big for that motor. Your tuner is probably not going to utilize 100% of its capabilities.
#26 Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
^ I'm not to sure if his motor can handle the power that turbo is capable of but I know for a fact that 750's are to small to take advantage of the 500. I ran DW 750's with my AVO 380 and they where pretty close to maxed on pump and I couldn't even run E85, well atleast It wouldn't have got me much if any of a power gain over pump with thoes injectors, so I went to the DW 850's so I could run E. So in my opinion I would go with the 1000's because now that I no longer have the 380 and am running the 20G my 850's are maxed out on E and I am kicking my self in the ass for not skipping the 850's and going straight to the 1000's because now I'm looking at having to shell out more cash on a third set of injectors. Your 500 is still bigger then my 20 g witch is just slightly bigger then the 380, so don't make my mistake give yourself some breathing room. A good tuner can make thoes 1000's idel just fine I've seen some very smooth running cars that are using 1000's so it can be done.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#27 Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

In Australia they got a better motor than we did. Higher RPM range and is capable of using alot of what that turbo can throw at it, maybe not max capacity, but none the less still a usable turbo.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#28 Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Higher compression and it has AVCS.

Again, I was implying that the 750s (in my opinion at least) were ok because the tuner will likely not go for all out power from that turbo on behalf of reliability considering his engine may not take what it's capable of. This is another situation where you ask the tuner before you buy anything.
#29 Old 08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Higher compression and it has AVCS.

Again, I was implying that the 750s (in my opinion at least) were ok because the tuner will likely not go for all out power from that turbo on behalf of reliability considering his engine may not take what it's capable of. This is another situation where you ask the tuner before you buy anything.
Again I recommend 850's which might even be a tad to small, but was looking at the fact that he probably won't run that turbo enough to require anything higher, much like what you are saying...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#30 Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Serdar is an unknown
Well guys I'm heading to my mechanic tomorrow to install the CAI with a k&n pod on the end. The bov iv decided to go GFB and with injectors I will ask him tomorrow. In saying that if I do go
Higher to say 1000cc will I need to change my turbosmart fpr 800 to something higher? And someone run me down on a bov pushing out to the atmosphere how good or bad on my setup please