mod list and questions for EVO316G setup - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wasp642 is an unknown
mod list and questions for EVO316G setup

Hi guys, doing an FP EVO316G setup here, going to be surgeline protuned via APv2. Car is getting new timing belt and tensioner done first (103,000 miles but well maintained), then FP turbo, DW 650cc injectors, BIG TMIC, Short ram intake, walbro FP, EGT, AFR gauges. Already have megan racing catless DP, catless UP, SRS catless 3" exhaust, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, APV2 with stage 2 map tweaked by myself, and a prodrive 3 port EBCS.

1) Is it required to get new fuel rails?

2) My stock BPV that i have on now won't hold the 20+psi that surgeline will be shooting for. I also have a GFB hybrid but have problems with compressor surge with low boost which is annoying as hell. I'm thinking of trying an HKS SSQV due to its different type of piston inside versus the GFB spring/piston setup. I've heard of the sequential type BOV giving quicker response time when blowing off. Is there any truth to this?

3) For streetability, what WG actuator spring should i order the turbo with? It comes with a 14psi spring, with an option of i think an 8-9psi spring.

4) Anything else that im forgetting thats really significant?

Thanks...

-02 WRX Blouch 18G'd Juggernaut of Beastliness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
1) no
2) you can "crush" your stock bpv to allow it to hold more pressure. look up the mod her or on nasioc. I aslo have the gfb hybrid, and you should have no problem(compressor surge wise) running it recirc or atmospheric as long as you adjust it with the allen wrench.
3) get an external wastegate, I have one and although you dont need it, you wont be sorry. Mine came with a .9 bar spring. there is a vid on youtube of a guy with a evo316g with an external wastegate. Search Hatchkrapper
4) No boost guage?? also, Potential tranny issues..you will be making more power with the new setup. SO your clutch is more likely to go, especially if it is the original one still on the car. with the added power you also want to be careful of your gears. take it easy on them
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 12:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Run conservative and try not to abuse the drivetrain. Other than that you'll be good. External wastegate also has my vote, but its not needed. However, it does help a great amount by exiting the exhaust gas faster and makes a cool noise...kinda too loud lol. I wouldn't recommend doing the crush mod for the stock bpv as you still get surge....might not be alot but its still there. I would just tune to 20psi or get a JDM sti bpv which can hold 25psi if your gonna dump 100+ for a bov anyway. Either way, good luck.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 02:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Could always buy a better BPV like a perrin or another name brand BPV. They're probably hold a high PSI. If you can't find a JDM BPV.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 06:48 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Perrins BPV is rated to something like 200 PSI. And have yet to hear/read anything bad about it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't know where this 20PSI as a hard limit for the stocker came from anyway. Truth is, any decent BPV/BOV can handle way more than that. Yes, the stocker's pretty cheap but I've always heard it said as "AT LEAST 20 PSI" not "ONLY 20 PSI". The stock BPV is not that bad.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #7 of 7 Old 01-01-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wasp642 is an unknown
You're right, the stock BPV isn't bad at all. I got mine from NASIOC since my car never came with one (just a TXS RFL) which i sold and got the stocker. The GFB hybrid was a birthday present and i had it on the car running 50/50, but with stock exhaust you couldn't hear the afterfires. Now with the 3" catless exhaust, i can hear some little pops here and there when shifting easy which is annoying to me, but no huge bangs or any pops under hard shifting. I guess i'll try the stock one and if it leaks, i'll either try the GFB again or look into a different brand. I've even tried experimenting with different springs in it with no difference so i'm stumped. It works fine when in VTA modes, but those damn little afterfire pops annoy the hell out of me.

Oh, and I have never launched the car from a stop, i like my tranny just the way it is, in one piece... I don't drive like a maniac, just hard acceleration getting onto the freeway and some 3rd gear pulls. I heard 2nd is a weak gear too, is this true and is it ok to do 2nd gear pulls from a roll?

-02 WRX Blouch 18G'd Juggernaut of Beastliness.