Subaru WRX Forum banner

Maximum Boost?

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  nick4592 
#1 ·
hey guys! i am a noob to the site and new to the Subie world. i just got a quick question for ya'll. What the maximum amount of boost i can put on my stock EJ20T? oh btw its an automatic. i dunno if that matters or not cause i dont know how well the auto's are built. thanks alot for your help.

#10 ·
Without any kind of tuning don't do go over 15psi on the stock turbo..you should buy some sort of EM before you do anything power mod wise to your car.

What CFM would that be Lucky :rolleyes:

also having an auto does not hold you back from what the engine can handle but only what you should/could run with out doing damage to the tranny.
No....you are right...an auto doesn't stop the motor from making Crank HP....but it does and will hurt WHP, Spool, and Launching. In driving a stock EJ20 Auto I found it to be very laggy and under powered.

#9 ·
Yes i know he is talking about the stock turbo but i was just informing because there was some incomplete info.

The stock tranny should be able to hold the amount of power you will make on a mostly stock car. It isnt the power per-say that will kill the tranny is how you use the power. I would think that if you drove halfway nicely then it should be able to hold an extra 40hp or so. I wouldnt try to make alot of power out of an auto like this, just because it will cost alot more to beef up the tranny...sell and learn to drive a 5 speed or just keep as a everyday car and buy a second fun car that is manual.

#11 ·
Yes i know he is talking about the stock turbo but i was just informing because there was some incomplete info.

...sell and learn to drive a 5 speed or just keep as a everyday car and buy a second fun car that is manual.
I had a 5-speed Ford Focus that i traded for this car. I love driving stick but i live in the city and it gets hectic in rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic. I bought my WRX cause i got an awesome deal on it that i dont think i would find somewhere else. Plus i know the history on the car as well. One owner, never driven in Winter, always garaged. The car is already loaded with full Perrin suspension, GReddy EGT and Boost gauges, I picked it up for $13,800 with 50,000 miles and is showroom new. Weirdly i bought it from a dealer and it used to be my buddy's old car. HAHAHA but yeah it was taken care of. Eventually when i get the money i was thinking of doin a trans swap. How hard is it to do a conversion?

#14 ·
Boost DOES NOT MAKE POWER..... FLOW makes power and if you want more power drop in a turbo with more FLOW.. Granted more boost creates more "FLOW" to an extent, but it's the flow that makes the power, not BOOST..

Moral of the story guys, stop trying to max out the stock turbo, your just going to blow it up sooner...

#15 ·
if you take a turbo past it's efficency range, it will back off flow to make the pressure you're asking. It literally starts putting out less air. Also, the air is hotter (less power in combustion). You can push it past where it should be and it won't die immediately but you're not doing yourself any favors in terms of numbers. 16PSI is plenty folks (and I'm assuming you have EM so you're not breaking something else)

#16 ·
Thank You Guys For Backing My Statement Up. I Hope That They Understand That The More Boost You Ask For Isn't Alway Good. Think Smart People These Cars Are Fun. If It Was That Easy To Make A Fast Car Everyone Would Buy Mbc's And Fly With 20 Psi. It Is Not That Easy Or That Simple Please Listen. I Want Every Subaru To Be Fast But Reliable Not Jerry Rigged.
I WANT SOME FRIED VEGETABLES WITH THAT RICE

#19 ·
A 5speed wrx to 6 speed conversion is not that bad, but a manual to Auto is HORRIBLE..

The wiring harness (Might) need changed, the ECU, the Trans, in some vehicles an Auto has a different starter, you need to remove the peddle, change the center consol, the gauge cluster, it's a shorter drive shaft... I might have forgot a few things...

#21 ·
i just found out that the auto trans on my WRX is fully built. the guy who owned it before bought it as a 5-speed but converted it to auto and fully built the trans. It used to be a 12 second Subie. It has a 2400 rpm stall converter, its geared and has custom aftermarket clutch plates. I found this out cause it happened to be my buddy's old car! LOL but yeah he said i should have no problem getting 300-350 Hp outta the car. So YAY! woot woot! hahaha ROFL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.